I need to promise you,
I am not a cold-blooded killer.
I just had to do what was needed...
I also was not a fan of Duck Dynasty-
I mean, they catch and eat squirrels!
But the boys here love that show, so I can only say I got sucked into watching it, and now I do love it too. (Still find the hunting scenes super disturbing, and gross, however-)
If this was really Duck Dynasty, this experiment would have been added to the dinner menu, mind you, but this is as close as I ever hope to get to my very own Duck Dynasty moment...
For Mother's Day this year, I asked for my first ever bird feeder:
I couldn't bear to hear Tin Man discuss all the ways he needed to try and exterminate these cute little things! They are just so darling! But then Tin Man listed all the problems around here due specifically to these cute, little darling chipmunks-
I was pleasantly surprised with a gorgeous bird feeder (in the picture behind us-)from Tin Man and the boys.
(I also received my very own hockey stick wrapped in pink tape for Mother's Day,
but that is a different story-)
Anyway, back to the bird feeder.
With the bird feeder came a forty pound bag of seed.
Here it is, just one month later, and my bird seed bag is nearly empty!
One morning, I was sitting in my living room, reading, when Lucy (the dog) started going CrAzY-barking, and clawing at the screen right by the feeder, nearly jumping out the window to get whatever it was.
I thought that was a bit much of a reaction for birds, so when I took a closer look, imagine my surprise to see a chipmunk staring back at me, trapped inside my bird feeder. (!)
Tin Man had all kinds of scary, life-endings (I heard the word 'mallet' at one point, I think-) planned out for that chipmunk, but by the time he got around to it, the stuffed-like-a-tick chipmunk was gone...(Maybe he heard 'mallet' too-) ...and so was my bird seed.
(I was secretly happy he made his escape.)
They dug around our front steps, which are now loose!
They dug around the side of the house, messing with the foundation of the house, and went between the siding and concrete in the garage!
They have eaten all my bird seed!
They are running around, all over, inside our garage!
Tin Man was right, these pesky little critters needed to go. But I would hire an exterminator.
You know, to be humane.
Then, I went to a friends house (who shall not be named in order to protect their privacy-),
and this is what they had sitting in their landscape:
Out of curiosity, I asked what it was.
The reply was, "That is our homemade chipmunk trap"
I took a picture of it, showed it to Tin Man, who was leaving for the week for work, and his reply was, "Lot cheaper than an exterminator, put Nature Boy on that-"
So I did.
He had a friend over, and I showed those two the picture, and said, "Just use what we have to make us one of these things-okay?"
...And they did:
The boys and I went away over night while Tin Man was still out of town, and had a great time together kicking off our summer. I didn't give the chipmunk trap even one, little thought.
When we got home late last night, Nature Boy ran right out to his trap.
He then ran right back to me and his brothers as we unloaded the car.
"MOM! We got three!"
I replied, "Three what?" (I had already forgotten about catching chipmunks-I was trying to get luggage in the house, and get boys to bed.)
"Chipmunks, Mom-"
I dropped everything, and followed him to the trap.
Holy cow.
We sure did catch three.
Now we had to somehow get them out, and dispose of them.
Ewww.
It involved a rake and Nature Boy,
and me holding a Target plastic bag
(not a great choice, but it was all I could think of!)
trying not to scream or gag-.
I had to text Tin Man!
He would be so proud of his Duck Dynasty watching, chipmunk slaying wife!
...and so ends my Duck Dynasty moment.
Tin Man and Nature Boy can do the following rounds.
(...also known as chipmunk slayer...sniffle, sob!)










No comments:
Post a Comment