I usually run them by Tin Man by saying, "What if we..."
Generally, my crazy ideas are met with resistance (for some odd reason).
Like the time I ordered a blow-up headboard that fell over on us while we were sleeping.
(That was a blog post a few years back-)
Or the time....well, there are just too many to recall, unfortunately...
(They were most likely blog posts too-)
Anywho, so at the end of last summer, I started a conversation with Tin Man that went a little something like this:
Me:
"Tin Man [I called him by his real name, actually-],
What if we retire the boy's tent at the cottage and get a shed and turn it into a bunk house for the boys!"
[Insert super-smiley face here-]
Tin Man:
"No way."
Me:
"But the tent has been put up every summer for three or four years, and it has holes in it. Just think about getting a bunkhouse! The boys will love it!"
Tin Man:
"There is no way we are getting a 'bunkhouse'!"
Me:
"Hey! Good news! I found a builder who makes really neat sheds near the cottage! We can order one, have it built over the winter, and they can deliver it in the spring!!!
Tin Man:
"We. Are. Not. Buying. A. Shed."
Me:
"So you are saying you will think about it."
Tin Man:
"What? I said I am NOT thinking about getting a shed. We are not going to get a shed!"
But persistence is the key, I say:
See?! That's our bunk house!!!
It looked like this at first:
So I rented Tin Man a paint sprayer and out of the goodness of my heart, I paid for the paint out of my teaching money.
And he painted the inside of the shed, I mean, bunk house-for me:
(Aww, I think he looks like he is having fun! Well, I just bet he was having fun-)
Then came my very important contribution.
Decorating: (!!!)
There are even two sleeping lofts above, but unfortunately, the rope ladders are not working like I thought they would. They swing around [insert frown face here-] too much, and Nature Boy nearly broke his foot trying to get down.
So I told Tin Man he needs to build me two ladders so the boys can sleep up there (and get up and down relatively safely-) .
He just laughed at me (I know, right? How rude!) and said, "Nope."
But I'm not worried. Tin Man usually says no and I can talk him in to most things-
I mean, we have a bunkhouse now, right?!
(...who has a way of getting her way...insert wink, wink here-even the crazy ideas go through once in a while with Tin Man.)











1 comment:
ruby red!!!! i LOVE this idea and i am just cracking up over your conversation with tin man! i can just hear your sweet voice trying to convince him! but WHAT AN AMAZING IDEA!!!!!! and i bet they absolutely love it. i know you will get those ladders... because 2 ladders have to be cheaper than a visit to the ER :)
Post a Comment