Monday, July 2, 2012

Letters From Brazil /Brazil Post #4/




...Instead of running off with a Brazilian speedo wearing dude, I bought YOU ALL one so I can chase after my American Speedo wearing dudes instead!  (I know you may not wear it out, but I have a feeling Happy Boy* and Dancing Boy* will!!!!)

Every man wears one-every. single. one. Grandads, dads, big-gut guys-everyone!!!
(And Grandma is wearing her bikini too, with the belly hanging over it. It would not shock anyone here if I was in a bikini, which is just nuts to me-)

I am having so much of an amazing time, you would not believe it. It truly has been the trip of a lifetime.
 Jen and I share a room,

and it has been so wonderful to share this time with her, thank you so much for letting me do this!! I am having so many memorable moments daily, I am so thankful to be here with Jen, and do this--

We went to downtown Salvador,

 and spent the day bartering over pricing at the outdoor markets.
 (Markado Modello)


It happens to be the month of the most festivals, and so the whole historic district was decorated beautifully.

I found you all something special, and I cannot wait to give you all special gifts-

The roads are so windy, bumpy, tiny, and stop-and go that I got so car sick! Can you believe that??? I almost threw up, it was that bad-

The grafitti is like artwork here, and you can be all the sudden in a bad area in the city. That happened today...but we were fine-I was a bit nervous, though. (But we were just fine! Meg is a great driver, and she can speak almost perfect portugese, so we are in good hands with her.)

The traffic is crazy, and busy, and fast-especially the motorbikes that weave in and out everywhere. The rule of the road is that someone turning into traffic has the right of way, so they pull out right in front of you.

Giving the "okay" symbol is a swear word, and so Jen and I have flipped off way too many people down here--!

You would not believe how awesome all the traditional food actually is-Jen and I are nearly eating our way through this trip-

I am seriously loving the drinkable yogurt,

and the bananas, and the pineapple-I have eaten one everyday with Jen.,

There are so many fruits that are amazingly delicious, and Meg's housekeeper makes the most delicious meals. Everyday she makes us lunch and sets it up outside. I am being totally pampered here!

We had this Brazilian shephards pie for lunch today. It was made with chicken, mashed potatoes, onions, --so goood!!!!  Meg made "Pass-tee-oohs" with the leftovers.

They are the Brazillian form of an empanada, and I have GOT to figure out a way to make them at home. Meg also made homemade mango chutney
with her own MANGO trees on her property to go with the Pastels.

(That is how you really spell it-)

Seriously good.
Then we made some with bananas and chocolate for desert.  (!!!) To. Die. For.

Her gardener grabs coconuts off her trees and gives us coconut water-which is also very good. They say it is like 'gatorade' in terms of how it balances out your electrolites. I like it, and it is really refreshing when it is humid...which it is everyday. I think that is fine with me. I will just plop down and read in a hammock overlooking the pool when it is so humid you don't feel like doing anything in the afternoon. (I know, hard life, huh? This must be hard  for you to hear!)


We went to the fruit market today, and the fruits, and veggies, and spices were unbelieveable. You would be in heaven. They have avacados the size of giant softballs!!! And DID I MENTION THE PINEAPPLE?!?!

There is only one downside of Brazil, and that is the bathroom proceedures... I can now say I have used "a Brazillian bidet", though, and that is quite refreshing...but this is one thing I will not miss when I am home. (I know how grossed out you get, hope you weren't eating right now...)

Meg has NINE bathrooms, and they are quite beautiful-they all have granite or marble counters, and even granite floors...Just beautiful...and plentiful!
We walked the beach again today, and the waves were like Hawaii, but, the water is so warm, it feels like a warm swimming pool. It is warmer than the carribean, by far-

Oh, how I miss you. I know the boys are fine, they are with you. But, who is taking care of you? I miss you so much.



I will email each of the boys, please, please read it to them-

Love you all, and see you on Monday--



I really love and miss YOU-

Me


*Names are changed from actually email. We do not refer to our kids as such in real life.
post signature

No comments: