It's come to this:
The last day at the cottage.
It seems like its always about the "firsts" and the "lasts" up here at our cottage.
First beach day,
First walk on the city dock,
First ice cream cone of the summer...
And then, there comes the last.
Last day at the pool (on the rainy or cold days-we spent a lot of time there this year!)
Last:
Last bike ride,
Last load of towels thrown in the dryer.
Last stop at the candy store...
Last stop at the Farm Market for gifts and healthy stuff-
Last night sleeping at the cottage.
Of course we are coming back here-and-there for weekends,
But it is not the same as spending the summer.
I swore to myself-
This year, I will come home a bit more-
But I didn't.
It is always so hard to leave once I am here.
I was going to leave a day early, even.
I texted Tin Man bright and early this morning-
"We are outta here! It's 55 degrees!"
But he texted back,
"You know it's going to reach 75 there, today..."
So we stayed.
And enjoyed one last day at the beach.
And how glad I am that we did.
It was a magical day.
Last "Redwall" battle,
Last frog caught,
Last walk on the beach,
Last look at the beautiful, and captivating waves,
And last day to whittle while sitting in the sun.
(...the pocket knives stay at the cottage-)
Happy Summer,

(...who heads home tomorrow-)









1 comment:
This makes me sad! So happy you have a wonderful place to escape to for wonderful summer memories. Wishing you a great school year. The boys and I are finishing our first full week tomorrow.
.mac :)
Post a Comment