Thursday, December 25, 2014

Call Me, Maybe...

Well.
New Parenting Phase Alert:
We have a teen with a phone.
Instagram.
Texting.
Internet searching...oh my!
(Oh yeah...and you can make a phone call too-)

To prepare for this new phase, we did our research. Really, I am serious. 
He has been excitedly anticipating this next step. (Translation: pestering us!)
We, on the other hand, have been quite nervous. Unsure. Not on board.

However, we recognize this is a nearly (nearly) important step in his maturity.
Soooo,
Research.
(Check.)
Cell Phone Contract. With everything -to almost put our minds to ease- spelled out.
(Check.)

Scene: Christmas Morning. All gifts opened. No phone. (I repeat: NO PHONE.)

Main character (Nature Boy): Disappointed, but resigned to his phone-less fate. Deciding maybe he will get a phone when he graduates 8th grade, or worse, as threatened, upon getting a driver's license...

WHEN ALL THE SUDDEN, A CELL PHONE RINGS FROM A NON-DISCRIPT BAG ACROSS THE ROOM!
His (loving, generous) parents say, "Nature Boy, aren't you going to answer that?!"

NATURE BOY: Jumps up, and runs to the bag, to rip open the package nestled gently in the bottom of the bag. (!!!)
(Note the second bag is a second cell phone for his best friend sitting next to him...)

Cell Phone  Contract (You thought I was kidding, I bet-) was promptly reviewed, and greatly stressed as the utmost important feature of having been granted this great responsibility.


CONCLUSION: 
Contract read, signed, and final approval granted.

Nature Boy promptly begins texting, instagraming, and gaming happily. 
The end. 

...The end, that is, until a "cell phone rule" is broken, and the phone goes in time out...At least, that's what I envision, realistically. We all will be learning this next phase together-
Only time will tell...

THIS MUST BE JUST THE BEGINNING, ACTUALLY-
post signature
(...who is the mom of the boy with the cell phone...)




2 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE the contract, especially the last clause! It is so true that it takes a team to make it through these parenting firsts!

Merry Christmas to your family!
Shelly Calliway

Queen to my 3 Boys said...

Yikes! We're approaching this stage too. Uncharted territory is intimidating. Good call on the contract, Mama!