Monday, December 1, 2014

Separation Anxiety

Nature Boy went through this about the same time, but I don't think it gets easier with the second one.

(Interestingly, when all my boys were little, at that classic 18 month age of "separation anxiety", it was very mild-they all went through it, but it wasn't that bad, and they moved passed it rather quickly. Or, at least, it seemed pretty painless...it has been awhile, however...)

Now, however, it must be my turn to have separation anxiety!
As my Dancing Boy dances through sixth grade this year, 
it is all about his friends, and his plans with his friends, and his style with his friends, and his hair with his friends.

Going to baseball games (without me),

Playing soccer (photo requests denied!), his back to me, number17:

And cider mills fun with friends (without me),

Going to concerts (hey, with me too!) but wanting to sit by friends, not mom...

 And making sure to look "cool" in pictures with sunglasses and "cool" outfits...even at the cider mill with me!

Sometimes I feel left behind.
But, I know this is his next step in life (as hard as it may be on me-), and I can handle it.

My oldest went to Washington DC with his 8th grade class and didn't even text me or call me once. Not once. (!)

I will be fine.
I can do this!
I mean, I think I can...
(Me really crying...but for a different reason. My friend flew in to surprise me for my birthday, and my darling husband: 1) kept this secret from me, and 2) snapped this incredibly awful picture of me crying and has it as his screen saver...) 

I still have one who puts me at the center of his universe still, thank God!
(Field Trip together fall 2014)

post signature
(...who is thankful this separation anxiety is a slow process, with three boys to go through it with, and occurring over the course of many years in between!)

No comments: