I was leaving school the other day, frazzled, when my principal said, "Oh how blessed you are to have a car full of kids. My wife and I miss those days."
My third row of seats was folded down, to make room for the boys' stuff: hockey skates, hockey sticks, backpacks, lunch boxes. A football, a soccer ball (two, actually-), a glow-in-the-dark hockey ball, and a shovel (you know, so they can shovel off the outdoor rink to skate on...). Everything was packed in, but falling out on me as I opened the trunk to put in my school bag....and the bag of stinky gym clothes I found in their lockers (!!) and was bring home to wash over the weekend.
Not. Feeling. Blessed.
I had a birthday party to drop one boy off to (and -Dang!- still needed to buy the gift on the way-), another boy was waiting to fit in the car because he was coming over for a soccer game (and I still needed to wash the uniform -!!!-before the game that night) and I needed to also pick up one more friend before heading home before the game for dinner (which,Thank God, Tin Man was making. I would have cracked up on the spot if I had to add one more step to my already jam-packed afternoon-.)
I wasn't exactly feeling blessed when the principal said that, but later that night, I did...
1. Brush teeth (And breathe on mom so she can determine if you really did-.)
2. Go to the bathroom (And flush! And put the lid-s down!)
3. Rock in the rocking chair and sing one song (always the same song-) together: The "Star-Spangled Banner"...
Since the boys were little, I always rocked them before bed. I have rocked them while reading. I have rocked them after bad dreams, and when they had fevers.[sniffle, sniffle] My mom has rocked all three too. [Sniffle, sniffle]
This rocker has so many memories! I can't even think about the day it won't be needed!
And I know it's coming soon.
Now, I only have one to rock. [sniffle, sniffle] I always sang songs like, "You are my Sunshine" and "Jesus Loves Me", and "Jesus Loves The Little Children". But for the last couple of years, the requested bedtime song is a Star-Spangled Banner sing-along. I have a pretty good feeling this is a love of sports related request...and I just gave up on the other songs awhile back...
Wait. Where was I?!
Okay, I got a tissue.
Back to the bedtime routine-.
And finally, don't forget the most important step to bedtime:
4. Get in bed, and wrap and tuck "Lizard & Blue Blankie" around your shoulders.
Now, and only now, you are ready for bed.
While we were getting ready for bed, Happy Boy and I shared a conversation that reminded me how blessed I really was:
{After rocking for a bit:}
"Mommy?"
"What, sweetie?"
"Why do I sound like a girl when I sing? I really hate that-"
"You won't always sound like that, but all little boys sound like that until they are older."
"Well, I think I sound terrible!"
" Well, I think you sound amazing. Come on, let's get you tucked in bed.
{While getting him all set in his bed:}
"Mommy?"
"What, sweetie?"
"When I have kids, I am NOT going to let them have my Blue Blankie or Lizard."
"Oh, okay, that's fine, I'm sure-"
"My wife can't have them either!"
"That's fine, sweetie. I am sure she won't mind-."
"Mom?"
"What? You really need to go to sleep-"
"Mom, if you want to sleep with them, I would let you--
Only you, Mom."
My principal was right. I am blessed. All moms are crazy blessed by our kid's childhoods! It may be their stuff falling out of my car, or driving everyone around, or cheering like a crazy super-fan at soccer games, or rocking someone to sleep while singing, "The Star-Spangled Banner" or getting the offer to sleep with someone's favorite Blankie & Lizard...
I. Am. Blessed. Each stage of their childhood is a blessing.
Thank You Lord!
(...who needs another tissue before starting the washer full of stinking gym uniforms...)









No comments:
Post a Comment