Monday, November 22, 2010

Dinner's Ready: Thanksgiving Appetizers At Our House


I HAD to share with you what we are doing this year for Thanksgiving,
and give you time to go pick up the supplies to go plan something similar. I can pass on big, heavy meals,
but I could eat appetizers for a meal any day!

A couple of years ago,
{who is my friend from many years ago when we met in first grade-and still a dear friend-)

posted some of her Thanksgiving Day Appetizers.

Our family LOVES finger food,
and grazing all day.
(I mean, I do-)
We tried her recipes last year,
repeated the recipes at Christmas,
and while watching the Super  Bowl.
My kids could not get enough of the Little Hot Dogs-
they could eat them every week, I think.
{We seriously LOVED the appetizers!}

So~
As we watch football,
cook the turkey,
and all the sides for Thanksgiving this year-
This is what we will be eating...

Try making a few of these appetizers-they are all so delicious, and easy!

Swiss Cheese Dip
{I promise-even if you don't like Swiss cheese...you will like this}

In a microwave-safe dish (spray with Pam) or pie plate, mix 1 softened 8oz. cream cheese, 1 tsp. of onion powder, 1/3 cup of mayo, 3/4 cup of shredded Swiss cheese.Mix all together and spread on dish.

Crumble up bacon on top (about 6 slices). Microwave the dish on high for about 4 minutes (until bubbly)...enjoy with buttered crackers on the side.

{Pictures of last year's set up:}


Bacon Wrapped Smokies

1 pkg Lil Smokies
1 pkg bacon sliced in half
Brown sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Wrap Lil Smokies in 1/2 slice of bacon; secure with a toothpick. Arrange smokies to cover the bottom of 9 by 13 pan. Sprinkle brown sugar over smokies and bake for 45 minutes.



"Kick Butt" Taco Dip

1 8ox brick cream cheese, softened
1 cup 8 oz sour cream
1 packet of taco seasoning
diced tomatoes, sliced olives, cheese, slice green onion (...whatever your heart desires on a taco-)

Mix the cream cheese, sour cream and taco seasoning together. Spread in a thin layer on a pizza pan or other serving platter. My layer is about 1/2 inch thick! Then top with all the toppings.
Serve with tortilla chips.

What about the turkey?
Tin Man always cooks the turkey.
I have never, ever (!!) cooked a turkey!
Everyone always raves about Tin Man's turkey-Matter of fact,
writing about it makes my mouth water to think about it-it really is that good.
But I think I will pass on giving out his recipe.
Really.
 It is too complicated.
Only a professional should attempt a turkey as he makes it.
{Stop by on Thanksgiving though if you want the BEST turkey ever-}
I know his turkey involves hickory wood,
apple cider,
and a mix of many spices....and the grill. (!!!)
Here is a photo shot to get you thinking as you start your turkey this year:
 Crazy, I know~
But, that's Tin Man's speciality: Smoked, -on the grill- Turkey.
{And it is GREAT, but I really have no idea how he does it...}

Happy Thanksgiving from our house to yours~
post signature
(...Who will be sharing some of our Christmas traditions soon! Stay tuned!)

8 comments:

Shell in your Pocket said...

Okay...that cracks me up with the turkey but it looks so good! I bet it is wonderful!!!

I love your setting...it is so cute and Thanksgiving-ish! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family!

I may have to sneak in that swiss dip...it is good!

Sandy Toe

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

The swiss dip and brown sugar smokies are new to me. Yum! I make a similar taco dip sometimes or I just whip up cream cheese and salsa together. Thanks for the ideas. I may have to use these for Christmas since I am already set for Thanksgiving. :)

Sandy said...

Thank you for sharing! I am going to try some of these since we will be having the Thanksgiving meal late in the day.
Happy Thanksgiving to your family!

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

Bacon Wrapped Smokies? Every boy's dream come true! Ok, at least mine. They would think they had died and gone to heaven. Thanks for all the recipes--I don't really have any good grazing recipes. Grazing is good.
That turkey looks delicious!
Happy Thanksgiving to you guys!

April said...

What a great idea! We love finger foods, too...you can just munch all day long! Wow...does that turkey ever look yummy! A man who cooks=a dream come true! :)

Happy Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, as well...GOBBLE, GOBBLE! ;)

Annikke said...

I got that bacon wrapped smokies recipe a few years ago. I make it often and usually when I get invited to a party they ask me to bring those. They are SO yummy. My husband asked me to make them for breakfast once! HA!

I hope your thanksgiving is grand!

Kelli said...

That's it...I'm coming over. You had me at appetizer and then seeing the turkey sealed the deal :) Sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving...yum. Enjoy!

Dawn said...

mmm... now i'm hungry! sounds delicious and the turkey looks great, too! i have only ever made one...