It is the hottest,
And most humid day of the summer so far.
I didn't feel like going to the beach,
after four straight straight days of beaching it,
You just get sick of it, y'know?
(Kidding...mostly-)
So,
I turned on our tiny, (but oh-so-appreciated-) air box
while the little boys started playing Civil War guys,
and my oldest was relaxing with a good book.
I decided to use up the last of last summer's blueberries that I had frozen.
I set them out to thaw,
while scrolling through Pinterest...
Because what I was thinking was:
Why NOT cook on a hot day??
Right. Logical, for sure.
The boys and I ended up finding a great recipe on Pinterest (!!!)
to make a Southern Summer Blueberry Pie-
one that Happy Boy could eat.
(Remember he is anaphylactic to egg products and dairy products-)
In the recipe we found, I only had to make a few substitutions.
(I will print out the original recipe,
but know that I did make the needed accommodations for my little guy.)
SOUTHERN BLUEBERRY PIE:
Here is my process:I made my crusts,
And popped them in the pie pans...
But don't laugh at my efforts, please.
(At least, not to my face!!!)
I admit, I STINK at making crusts look pretty,
or actually, "right".
(I don't know exactly how to do CRUSTS!
I am just throwing them in a pan,
and praying they look normal. But they don't!
I only made my very first pie last summer.
Overall, I don't enjoy cooking, either...)
-You probably did not need to know all that-
Anyway...
They look pretty ridiculous, I KNOW:
Here are my blueberries, separated out like the recipe said.
Fresh, for the bottom, and the stash to boil:
(Stop laughing at my crusts!!!)
And, finally,
TA-DA,
My finished pies ready for one to be refrigerated,
(I have a friend coming to dinner soon-)
And one to freeze to share with Tinny when he gets up here for the weekend.
(He will laugh at my pie crusts, I bet. And right in my face.
After 17 years of marriage, that is just to be expected...
but as long as he eats it, I won't care.)
Remember how I said I made this dairy and egg-free for my Happy Boy?
I had all the boys try a little bit of the leftovers from the boiled batch.
Nature Boy wanted to dig right in to the pie, and not wait for our dinner guest.
Dancing Boy kept licking the spoon, asking for more. (And he is PiCkY!)
Happy Boy said, "This is GROSS."
Wonderful.
So glad that I could, and did make the appropriate accommodations for that little stinker. (!)
Happy summer anyway,

(...who has an extra piece of blueberry pie to eat tonight!)










1 comment:
Hey there! How I have missed reading your blogging! I havent seen any posts in awhile and came upon your blog and read and read and read! My blog (fried green tomatoes and sweet tea) is no longer but I have started two new ones! I needed change! So happy to hear about your summer adventures! :)
Post a Comment