Wednesday, December 1, 2010

You Are NOT Having As Much Fun As I Am...I Can Bet You!

[Get a snack. This is a long one-but ~possibly~ good one...]
I think the role of motherhood has prepared me for days like this.
B.C. {"Before Children"-}, maybe a day like this would have had me begging for a quiet, dark room at the end of the day.
Possibly popping the Advil like candy for a stress headache.
I would possibly have been completely stressed out.
But, I am not.
Seriously!
I had a great day.
Instead,
I still had a smile on my face, and a laugh in my heart.

The day started with helping my first graders order (or not-) hot lunch before leaving for our morning  field trip. My mind was focused on if I had enough drivers [-check.],
 and the one absent student. What if the absent student came late to school and missed us? We were leaving very shortly.
I was counting to make sure everyone had a booster seat. [-check.]
The lunch of the day was 'popcorn chicken', which I guess is in hot demand in the school cafeteria.
One particular student wanted to order lunch, but I was pretty sure I saw him set down a lunch box.
 So, after a few minutes of questions (I hesitate to call it an 'interigation', but whatev-),
he agreed with me:
Yes. He wanted to buy lunch, but his mom did pack a lunch so he couldn't buy today.
[Yeah, I knew that-]
The field trip went great. Fun, uneventful, and then we were back by lunchtime.
 [So far, so good, right? Yeah, I thought so too, but the excitement was just getting under way...]
...
I was stopped by the office staff: They heard one of my students swear as he walked in from the field trip...and it was an inappropriate word used correctly in a sentence...
Then, as I dropped my class at the lunch room, I noticed the lunch lady discussing the importance of ordering lunch with the same student from the morning!
Apparently, he decided to buy-and left his lunch in the classroom.
But now he was telling us it was just a snack.
I was suspicious (My mom radar kicked in-I can ferret out a tall tale when I hear one-) and so I asked him to go get it, and show me the contents of his lunch box.
But, Wow.
My mom radar must have been broken, because I was wrong!
It WAS just a snack.
Hmmm.
The afternoon brought our [required] classroom spelling bee.
Everyone was nervous, and there were lots of questions.
I tried to calm everyone down, and remind them, this was actually for fun.
We did a practice round, and then went on to the assigned list.
I had one student give me 'angry eyebrows' and tell me I "rigged!" the whole thing.
Then I had one student rush to throw up  in the garbage can because his nerves got the best of him.
So Imagine:
Angry student standing by the door, arms crossed, will not sit at seat. 
Another student barfing in the trash can.
[Cue the principal.]
Of course! Why wouldn't the principal walk in during mayhem?
I mean, when I am teaching my class how to read, and pulling out all the stops-the kids are engaged, and everyone is rasing their hands to answer-Now that would be the perfect time for the principal to walk in.
Or when we are doing a really cool hands-on activity that the children love-that would be the perfect time.
But no, it was during the stress-filled afternoon of the spelling bee.
While one student is shooting me dagers with his eyes, and another vomiting in the trash can.
So he stayed and helped.
Patted a back,
and talked my dear one out of his anger.
Crazy. Day.
I got everyone packed up, and out the door pretty much on time at the end of the day.
As I walked around the room,
tidying things up,
picking up scraps on the floor,
erasing a few things on the chalkboard,
putting pencils where they belong,
and setting my daily plan book back on my desk.
I noticed a student cubby with a shadow toward the back.
Wouldn't you know it?
It was the student's sandwich that he said he didn't have... (!!!)
I smiled.
Then laughed outloud.
What a fun day.
Really!
I love my job, I love my students {all of them-} and I think today went great.
Crazy, but fun.
What A Great Day in First Grade!

post signature
(...Who has mom radar, and it ain't broke. I knew it-)

10 comments:

Julie said...

oh my, what a great attitude... good that your radar wasn't broken :) Isn't it funny how they think they can get away with it...but they usually only do part of it... lol.

April said...

Girl...that mom radar of ours has a LIFETIME GUARANTEE and it never breaks! There should be no worries in that department!

What a day you had, but am so impressed that you can reflect on it with a SMILE on your face! What an awesome teacher you are!:)

Kelli said...

I have tears from laughter...you KNEW it!!! This was a great post...I loved each line.

Dawn said...

it is probably not "right" to say... but dontcha just love when you are right??!! glad you survived the day... with a smile :)

Michelle said...

I have always said that teachers deserve a higher salary than the president, LOL!! It takes a brave person to teach!

Stop by my blog today to enter my giveaway.

Take Care,
Michelle

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

Thanks for the good laugh! I was thinking the lunch kid was one of mine!! Dave would come home with notes saying he owed lunch money. But I was sending him with lunch. I think he was eating BOTH. Good grief!

Lindsay-ann said...

I enjoyed reading about your eventful and busy day! I am sure my husband can relate to it very much!
Have a great weekend. We still have 12 inches of snow and a temperature of minus 7. I want to hibernate.
Lindsay
x

Mrs.Busy Bee said...

Oh I did have a snack and was laughing out loud. Mom radar comes in handy, often!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs Slippers! Loved reading about your day :) ... Isn't it great to get to a "maturity level" (!!!) and be able to laugh at things, or be cool about things, that once-upon-a-time we would have thought was impossible to laugh at or be cool about... Mums' are very smart, very clewy people... and I think your Principal sounds wonderful and kind - makes all the difference, hah?!... Your home, as always, looks absolutely beautiful! Stunning!!! My Husband came across your page while I was off being a domestic goddess (!), and he was in awe, commenting about your wonderful sense-of-style! The poor dear's not into my eclectic tastes ;) ... Hope you get snow that sticks soon. Naomi x

Unknown said...

Mom radar is pretty wonderful, isn't it?