The Mouse and the Motorcycle
by Beverly Cleary
by Beverly Cleary
Have you ever read it?
It is the best book series, and knowing how much MY own boys love this book, I had to read it to my little first graders.
I had even encouraged parents to buy their child a copy to follow along in as I read aloud to everyone. Sometimes even Tin Man comes in to read to my class, and they love all his funny voices he adds to any story-much better than mine, I am sure-
They were captured; enthralled by Ralph and his Motorcycle.
After we finished the last page, we then turned our attention to the chalkboard and had a class discussion about fiction, main characters
(and even minor ones, as my students rattled off more information than I had even expected-),
plot, setting, and sequence of the book.
I am not making this up: They hung on every word and it was a rich discussion.
Then I handed out little first grade story paper (the dotted lines with room to draw a picture-) made into little books and said,
"Now it's your turn. Write a fiction story."
And they did.
We spent every spare minute revising, and correcting spelling.
Each student and I took a few minutes to perfect their own story.
Then finally, we came to my favorite time: When my students can share their story to the class, and do their very own read aloud.
We have four students each day read to the class while we all sit in a circle.
I set the stage:
There is NO talking, other than the speaker.
Pay attention, and give eye-contact to the person who is sharing their story.
We will all clap for everyone at the very end.
The first day, I called out my four students that were to read aloud to the circle.
One student stood out in my mind:
He is shy, quiet, and reading aloud is refused at every turn.
Thanksgiving thanks?
He skipped it.
Telling what he got for Christmas?
Skipped again.
Show and Tell?
I usually say what it is a bit louder, when he does bring something in, he tells us at a whisper.
I haven't wanted to push him.
But this read aloud, I was determined he would try.
So it was with him in mind I figured out the last step to our fiction writing/ reading process.
Everyone in the class would have to tell one of the four students who read aloud that day a positive comment about their story.
(I was thinking of my little dear~.)
He's slight, and introverted at times.
But so sweet, and after the first few weeks of school
(when one day, he even screamed aloud to me: "I HATE YOU!" when he got in trouble...but that is a different story...)-
we became close.
He gives me a hug every day-many times, several a day- and I always tell him I love him.
(I tell all my students this-because I truly do-)
But him-He has a special place in my heart.
So the read aloud.
He sat so quietly, listening to the first couple of kids read.
His whole body was shrunk down, and his face was closed, almost angry.
I knew what he was feeling: Fear-it was all over his face.
When it was his turn, I had him come stand by me.
I put my arm around him as he read for encouragement, and whispered to him-
"Go on, I know they will love your story-"
He read quietly, and hesitantly.
And then finished quickly, and sat down again.
Back slumped, eyes downcast.
He was the last of the four to share.
Now it was time for the comments.
And I had a process I wanted to follow-
And I had a process I wanted to follow-
The person giving the comment was asked to address the writer by name.
After each positive comment, the student receiving one was asked to say,
"Thank you, ____" and give eye contact to the person they are were talking to.
"____, I liked your pictures of the cars."
The little guy slouched less-and mumbled a barely audible "Umm...Thanks, ____."
"____, Your story was creative."
His look of fear was diminishing-but he said a bit more clearly, "Thank you, ____."
"____, Your story was my favorite today!"
-His back was getting even straighter-and he looked the friend in the eye,
and said, "Thank you, ____."
"____, Your cars looked amazing!"
He had a smile, his whole body radiated joy as he sat up perfectly straight, and said in his clearest, and most commanding little voice, "Thank you, ____!"
I nearly started crying right then and there.
It was such a moment- to see such a physical, and emotional change in someone -
I saw the confidence literally growing,
I saw the fear and uncertainty leaving.
By far the best moment this year so far.
I just had to share~
It is for moments like that,
I love this job.
He's (one of 19 precious reasons-) why I do what I do, and love it~

(...who really, really loves her job as a first grade teacher!)




10 comments:
That is one of the most touching stories I've ever read. I love it. I'm a little teary even because I can just picture the scene. What a great thing you are doing with these children. You are an wonderful teacher!
you sound like an amazing teacher!!!! Keep up the awesome work with the kids.
Do you know that right now, at this very moment, I have big, crocodile tears in my eyes? I am not kidding! That's the sweetest little story EVER! I stand in amazement at what a wonderful teacher you are and how you manage to bring out only the best in all of your students! You make them BELIEVE that they can accomplish great things! What a treasure you are!
I just love that I met you, Rubes! Via blog and all! I pray daily for more teachers in our schools out there like you....
You are intentional.
You are visionary.
You are effective.
You love them.
All the rest comes naturally when you have a teacher that possesses the above qualities!
GRREEAT JOB, teach!
.mac :)
I really enjoyed hearing this story. You are such an amazing teacher and this story is proof. That little boy will remember this forever. You gave him the confidence to do this and I am sure he will continue to improve.
Hope you are having a great weekend.
Lindsay
x
I am so glad you are teaching publicly again! This is a precious story! Thank you for sharing!
Mmm, I love that book and I LOVE your story. It seems that so many people take for granted what an impact (good and bad) teachers have on our kiddos. Your positive impact is at the very top of the heap!!!! My "special" teacher was Mrs. Bullock in the 3rd grade. I bet you will always be his. Those little ones are SO lucky to have you!
Warm fuzzies you give me, Girl, heart-warmingly warm, gorgeous, jump-for-joy fuzzies!!! I wish you could be my childrens' teacher! That's a precious moment indeed... He'll not forget it, I'm sure!
xxxxx
I love that book too. When my kids brought it home from school I was so excited (more excited than them!)
It is so important to love our jobs if we are going to have to work outside the home. I love my job and I think it is the most important thing ever. I always wanted to be a teacher, now I know why God didn't let me. I absolutely LOVE teachers like you that LOVE the job and the kids
and now i am tearing up, too! what a break-thru! an amazing project with fantatic results!!
Post a Comment