Friday, January 21, 2011

Yesterday~

I don't know how this has happened,
I just can't believe it.
But here we are,
Yesterday is gone.

He is much taller Today than Yesterday.

He likes to read, and actually requested two books for his birthday.
He loves history, and geography.
He has been reading my college textbooks on European history, Western Civilization, and U.S. History.
His tummy never seems to be full these days.
He loves football, and soccer, hockey and ESPN, and NASCAR.
He loves his DS, and Pokemon.
He is a GREAT big brother,
loved by both of his little brothers.

I just don't know where Yesterday went...

It seems like just yesterday:
I was sitting in the hospital,
holding my precious newborn,
watching George W. getting sworn in (the first time-) as President on the television.

It seems like just yesterday:
Tin Man and I would race up the stairs to be the one to change his diapers.
And to watch him sleep.
And to be the first one to get him up after his nap.
And to feed him.
And to cuddle him.

It seems like just yesterday:
He was two and a half at his first soccer class,
laying on the field, refusing to get up.
I remember thinking,
"Oh dear. This boy is never going to play a sport!"

It seems like just yesterday:
He insisted on riding Tonto,
 a huge black horse at a ranch we visited.
At the age of three, he had no fear of the giant beast.


It seems like just yesterday:
He was four and gave me a 'coupon'
saying he wished he could give me
"one million rabbits"
for Mother's Day.

It seems like just yesterday:
He learned to write his own name so wiggly,
He liked to line up his toy cars in a row,
and play with his trains  for hours.

It seems like just yesterday:
His little feet fit with room to spare in the palm of my hand.
But "Yesterday" has actually been ten years.
This week,
he's in double digits now.
He's ten.
With feet my size.

Happiest of birthdays to my first -of three- amazing blessings.
Love, Mom

Also known as
post signature
(...whose Tomorrow may include a nervous tick due to a 'Star Wars Movie Sleep Over'
with ten ten year old boys at our house tonight.)

11 comments:

Kelli said...

He is such a handsome young man (love, love his freckles). What a sweet post. I hope your survive the sleepover :)

Anonymous said...

TEN 10 year olds?!!! Yikes, girl! They'll have a blast... All of what you wrote - and so poetically, I might add - is what's in my heart and mind with my soon-to-be-10yr old. I just finished my post, and I had to condence (a bit!!!) and change my way of thinking cos I was getting way too emotional! Happy Birthday to the dear boy! Hope you all have a wonderful time celebrating...

PS Eli sent N an email last month, and then one a couple of weeks ago - did they 'arrive'?
xxxxx

Carey's Farmhouse Kitchen said...

My baby just turned 9, so I will brace myself for his birthday this year. It it going so fast, isn't it? Thanks for sharing!

Michelle said...

He is beautiful!! Happy Birthday!!!!

Southern Fried Gal said...

Awww - great post, mom! They grow up so quickly. Happy birthday to your little man and hugs to you!

April said...

Just think...only 3 more years and he'll be a TEENAGER!!! Yikes! I've lived through it...so can you! ;)

In all honesty, I wish your sweet boy the HAPPIEST birthday of all! They sure do grow up fast, huh...way faster than I care to admit sometimes! There is no doubt about it...you have been richly blessed!

Lindsay-ann said...

Happy Birthday Nature Boy. Hope you have a wonderful birthday :)
Hope the Star Wars Movie Sleep Over goes well!
Love fron your friends in England
Lindsay, Tim & Jessica
x

Sandra said...

Awwww... I love ten...such a good age...

Enjoy... I LOVE STAR WARS!!!!!

hAPPY BDAY HANDSOME BOY!!!

Mrs.Busy Bee said...

Love the tribute to #1. The pictures are out of this world. SO hard to believe time has gone ! Thanks for the tip on the milk in the chicken, I had NO IDEA.

Work in progress said...

This is so sweet! Love the old pictures.

Shell in your Pocket said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet young man!

I love your header:)

sandy toe