Sunday, March 13, 2011

Perfect.

When we were dating,
and newly married,
we always went to this steak house,
 five minutes from our current home.
They were know for their juicy ribs,
their slow-roasted prime rib,
 their Cesar salads with fresh, ground pepper,
and great bands on the weekends.
It was a perfect night out on the town for a young, suburban couple.
But~
it burnt down several years ago.
And I hadn't given the Oxford Inn another thought.

Tin Man did, though.
And he recently came upon their original restaurant
(forty five minutes away, in a hip, very cool town called Royal Oak, Michigan-).
Turns out, the restaurant we always went to
was
"Oxford Inn-2".
So for our (its been way too long-) date night,
we went to the
Original
Oxford Inn in Royal Oak.

As we pulled up,
I said,
"Wait. Didn't we use to go to a restaurant like this near home?"
and he said,
"I was driving near here this week, and found out this is the original one!
Remember how much we loved this place?"
 I did.
That was pre-kids,
pre-stress,
pre-mountainous laundry,
-pre-everything it seems-.

It was the perfect night out at the time for us.
And it meant so much that he remembered too.

It was perfect:
We did our usual thing that we did many years before at the Oxford Inn:
We split an appetizer of coconut shrimp,
split the prime rib,
and added on an extra Cesar salad,
and two glasses of wine.
And shared the meal.
(He got the cooked veggies,
and I got the baked potato-),
and we split the rest.
Just like we did many years ago.

Then
we went to see the latest Matt Damon movie,

'The Adjustment Bureau'
which to be honest,
I thought it was going to be a movie for Tin Man,
as I am not into action movies.
They make me nervous,
so I stick to romantic comedies.
But~
I didn't complain over this one-
(I mean,he did take me out to a GREAT meal which he put a lot of thought into-)
I figured I could sit through one movie that would make him happy.

Imagine my surprise
to find that Tin Man actually knew
what he was taking me to:
 a very sweet,
-but action-packed-
romantic movie!

-I actually had tears in my eyes over a Matt Damon movie-
I loved it.
Especially the ending.
It ended exactly how I would have ended it-
Perfect.

I loved the whole night.

post signature
 (...who had -what turned out to be- the  perfect date night.)
It was perfect.

6 comments:

michele said...

What a fun date night!!! YAY!

Dawn said...

sounds like an amazing evening!! and when there is so much time between date nights, it is good when they are special and exceed all expectation :) and dinner sounds divine!

Michelle said...

I'm so happy for you, glad you had a great evening!!

Work in progress said...

You were in my neck of the woods! :) Funny, though, I have never heard of or noticed that restaurant. I am curious and will have to look up the address. I have probably driven by it and never noticed...

I love your taste in books, but I always laugh at how different our tastes in movie are. :O I saw the adjustment bureau (my kind of movie) and loved it---UNTIL THE END! I wanted them to flesh at least one thing out more: either explore more about the bureau (my first choice),or delve more into why the couple wasn't supposed to be together. I thought the ending was too Hollywood. Too trite. I wanted a more punchy, ironic ending or better yet, a twist. I thought the bureau was more interesting than the love story. :)

...But I am tickled and smiled a lot at how different our movie tastes are. You would never catch me dead at the Miley Cyrus movie. ;)

Hope you are well. I think of you often.

Kelli said...

How fun to go back to where you used to go...sort of. I love "remembering when" with Rondell. We also saw that movie on Friday and we LOVED it (my mom went too!). I didn't expect it to be what it was but it did not disappoint. Mom and I were in tears too.

Annikke said...

Sounds like a perfect night for a perfect couple!