About sweaty palms.
{Watch the video first-then read on about my irritating problem...}
{Watch the video first-then read on about my irritating problem...}
I have a ridiculous problem.
It really is crazy, and drives me crazy-
I H.A.T.E. public speaking.
HATE IT.
I think about a presentation,
and immediately get sweaty palms-
And how wonderful that this past week,
[insert sarcasm here-]
I had to give the Teacher's Weekly Devotional,
which is a 10-15 minute talk to the staff at my school.
When I got my schedule of this event,
back in NOVEMBER,
[yeah, November-}
I saw my name on the calendar-
sweaty palms.
I was immediately so nervous!
And, every time I looked at the schedule: Sweaty palms!
I really didn't want to do it.
But you have to.
So I did,
and my week was this past Tuesday.
Of course,
Tin Man was out of town.
-we plan things so perfectly around here-
So I had to prepare this presentation,
think about what I wanted to say,
do my power point side show,
and then had to email it to my husband who was basking in the warm Florida sun,
while I had my sweaty palm situation back here [alone!] in freezing Michigan.
I really need him when I have things like presentations to do,
because he loves this kind of stuff.
[...which I just can't imagine-who in their right mind likes public speaking?!]
He calms me down,
gives me tips to make it better,
and encourages me each step of the way,
which usually helps me deal with the 'sweaty palm' situations I find myself in.
{Just a little aside:
Everyone needs a Tin Man for these kinds of things:
I have never
-besides Tin Man-
met someone who never gets nervous.
And he never does. About anything.
It truly boggles my mind how he never, ever (!) gets a case of nerves, while meanwhile, I wake up thinking about a presentation in the middle of the night, and get sweaty palms, and over-analyze every nanosecond of whatever presentation I have to do-
He seriously amazes me about this.}
So, he was out of town-
but still advised me from afar.
And besides the sweaty palms,
the nervous stomach,
the shaky hands,
and a quiver in my voice-
(even I was getting sick of myself at this point-
I mean, come on! Shaky voice, too???
It was truly ridiculous!}
But-It went okay.
Everyone seemed to agree with and like what I said.
[Which is where my one tip about giving a presentation comes from:
Speak about something that really matters and means something to you, which is what I did, and it went well.]
What I talked about was this:
SEEDS: A Devotional
(Imagine this in a really cool power point presentation. What you don't need to remember is that I said my hands were shaking, my voice was quivering, my palms were sweaty. On a blog page, this may come off near perfect...)
[My favorite verse in the Bible]
Isaiah 58:11
(New Living Translation)
SEEDS: A Devotional
(Imagine this in a really cool power point presentation. What you don't need to remember is that I said my hands were shaking, my voice was quivering, my palms were sweaty. On a blog page, this may come off near perfect...)
[My favorite verse in the Bible]
Isaiah 58:11
(New Living Translation)
The Lord will guide you continually,
giving you water when you are dry
and restoring your strength.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
like an ever-flowing spring.
and restoring your strength.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
like an ever-flowing spring.
{What I hope to be: A well-watered garden for all the people in my life-My family, my first graders, my parents-And what I hope the children in my life grow up to become...}
Principle:
By looking at a seed-you don't know what it will become.
“Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.”
Hebrews 11:1 NIV
-Bowl of seeds passed around: Can you look at these seed and guess their potential?-
Only a master gardener may recognize the potential in each of these seeds
Jesus is our Master Gardener:
Jeremiah 29:11
(New Living Translation)
(New Living Translation)
"For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.
Three things about children and seeds:
1. Uniqueness of the 'seed': They are all different and take different kinds of care to succeed.
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."
Hebrews 11:1 NIV
Hebrews 11:1 NIV
2.'Seeds' sprout and grow at different times:
Children, like seeds grow and mature at different rates and times...
Some take longer to bear "fruit", "blossoms" or "buds".
Some take longer to bear "fruit", "blossoms" or "buds".
-Show: The Boy’s Valentine's Day plants for demo
All planted the same day, at the same time, yet only one plant has sprouted.-
3. 'Seeds' have different care requirements:
Light- “Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men.” Ephesians 6:7
Water- “Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.” Romans 12:11-12
Soil- “These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.” - Deuteronomy 6: 6-7
Conclusion:
Restate principle:
Restate principle:
By looking at just a seed-you don't know what it will become...
But remember- GOD DOES.
But remember- GOD DOES.
Application:
--Pass out a seed packet to each person at the devotions with these questions--
What are ‘seeds’ in your life that are things you need to spend time and care developing?
What are the ‘seeds’ in your students that need your time and care developing?
Isaiah 58:11
(New Living Translation)
(New Living Translation)
"The Lord will guide you continually,
giving you water when you are dry
and restoring your strength.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
like an ever-flowing spring. "
Psalm 1
(New Living Translation)
(New Living Translation)
Psalm 1:1-3
" Oh, the joys of those who do not
follow the advice of the wicked,
follow the advice of the wicked,
or stand around with sinners,
or join in with mockers.
But they delight in the law of the Lord,
meditating on it day and night.
They are like trees planted along the riverbank,
bearing fruit each season.
Their leaves never wither,
and they prosper in all they do."
Children are like 'seeds' we need to nurture.

(...who -with sweaty palms-is excited to see the 'garden' the Master Gardener is planting in the hearts of my boys one day. )



2 comments:
Completely lovely presentation!!!!
Oh... and I LOVE public speaking... LOL... I feel for you... but it seems like you did a wonderful job!!! Way to go!!!
Sounds pretty good to me!
sandy toe
Post a Comment