Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sleep. Sweet Sleep.

So~
Sleeping at the cottage.
Here is a little story for you:

Back before there were three,
there were two little boys,
just about two years apart.

There were some days I was ready to pull my hair out
with those two-
The "learning to share a favorite toy",
the "hands to ourselves",
the "git yourself to time-out RIGHT NOW",
the crying, and whinny days of two little preschoolers
on Summer Break.

There were many days I fell into bed,
worrying they would never be best buds,
-or even kind to each other ever-
worrying I was a terrible mom...

There was one day in particular
at the cottage
One Summer Day.

The boys had a BAD day-
the fighting,
the arguing,
the crying,
the time-outs to correct behavior.

I was stressed-out with them,
and terribly upset with how the day had gone.
And-
As I put them to bed
that night-
I was glad my parenting part of my day was done.

Tomorrow was a new day-
I would try my best again
to help mold and encourage these boys
into becoming the friends, and loving brothers
I knew they were capable of becoming.

A few hours after putting them to bed,
-all was now blissfully quiet-
I went to check on them,
and found them like this:
Holding hands in their sleep.
{With blurry, teary vision- I dashed to find my camera, and capture that moment-and that was way before blogging!}

That moment captured
as they slept,
was the reassurance I needed that day
to know the parenting
I was pursuing
to help two
little boys become friends
was working.

I was elated, and encouraged.

Now, here it is-
instead of two little boys sharing a family,
-and a bed at the summer cottage-,
There are three.
Three little, precious boys.

The days are filled with fun,
the falling asleep is
-Rambunctious
at times,
and noisy but-
 memory building,
I  pray:


Wishing you the sweetest of sleeps tonight,
post signature
(...Who placed her Ruby Red Flip-Flops by the front door before hopping into bed herself tonight-)

7 comments:

mysteryhistorymom said...

So precious! It is wonderful when you can catch glimpses of joy after a trying day, dear friend. Your sweet boys love each other, although liking can get a bit tricky at times! I know the feeling.:) Lori

Anonymous said...

They are so absolutely precious. I love that you get to be their Mama!

Lindsay-ann said...

So glad you got that cute picture. Never having had a brother or sister and only having had one child myself I am intrigued to hear about this.
Lindsay
x

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

Beautiful! I know all too well about the fighting and carrying on...all too well.

Kelli said...

That is simply the sweetest picture!

Annikke said...

What a sweet post. Brought tears to my eyes.

Dawn said...

making me cry... making me cry.