Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Come On In...Transformation! (Part One)


Welcome to the boys Movie Room/Game Room!
(I LOVE decorating kid spaces!) I spent my winter last year painting this mural on the one wall that you see as you walk down the stairs. When I started, Tin Man said, "Honey, do you really have a plan?" It was all in my head, but all he was seeing was the blue and black paint where he had paid the painter to paint neutral paint ...
Eventually, he saw the plan unfold! My boys are really into superheroes, so that is the theme of the mural and the room. I used scrapbook cut-outs for the superheros. All the stars, the moon, and the windows glow in the dark-you can never go wrong with glow in the dark paint-and little boys!!!








Here's the transformation this year to add to the mural and finish the room: (And it only took one nap time-seriously!)



The ugly train table that was just taking up space, but never played on. (The boys have always preferred to play trains on the floor...)


So I bought a piece of wood the same size as the table. Then I got my husbands heavy book and my handy-dandy glue gun...



I glued the wood on to the table top, and let the book sit awhile on it while I painted another area of this room...(That's Part Two of "Come On In Transformation...check out my blog next Wednesday to see the completed room!)






Then, I got a piece of foam to go on top of the wood, and got out my staple gun. (Actually, I walked next door and borrowed my neighbor's-)I found superhero fabric, and stacked it all like a sandwich, and stapled away.

Finally, I was done! And the baby was still sleeping, so I made pillows, and a valance for the room. (I WENT GLUE GUN CRAZY!) I'll show those transformations next Wednesday's decorating post with the new painted wall....You don't even need thread-just your glue gun, a tension rod and some ugly pillows...and some paint, and a love of superheroes...


But here is the finished project for today:

The boys like their little "seat"!






(The baby didn't wake up, and I finished the room!) Now that is a SUPER productive day-however, I haven't showered yet... my hands are blue, I need to pick up the big boys at school, AND I have glue gun burns....



~Ruby Red Slippers (With blue,sticky,burnt fingers-ouch!)

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

One nap time! You my friend are the super hero..lol.

Fun mural. I love it.

April said...

Your boys must be so thrilled...that is the coolest of cool! It just screams testosterone! I can't believe you got everything done! How long did your baby nap...10 hours! That's how long it would take me to do 1/4of what you did! Girl, I am impressed!!

Shell in your Pocket said...

What a fun "spot" for your kids! Love that mural with the glow and dark paint..that is just great! I bet your boys love it!!!

I love what you did with the chair...that is wonderful!! What a great transformation, Miss Crafty!
-sandy toes

p.s. I do not know if the Container store is in MI...you will just have to come down for the weekend and come to mine!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

You GO GIRL!! I bet you are thrilled with how everything turned out. can't wait to see the rest.

Michelle said...

My boys would love a room like that! You are so talented.

Michelle

Lindsay-ann said...

The mural you painted is fantastic and I love the table you converted into a seat. You are so talented. Your boys are so lucky having a cool room like that. I am looking forward to part two! I love before and afters.
Do you still have snow? I am sending you a warm hug! It's cold but bright in England today. Luckily we do not get much snow but plenty of rain and cold winds.
Lindsay

Julie said...

that is awesome! And all during nap time... see there is a reason there is snow outside now... so you can finish the room!!!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Ouch! Watch those sticky glue gun fingers! But the room is so cute. I can't believe you painted the mural!!
Carrie

Anonymous said...

What Weeksie50 said! Wow!

Annikke said...

Oh my!!! That is awesome stuff!!! You rock girl!

Darcy @ m3b said...

I am definitely NOT letting my boys see this. How quickly I would lose any cool mom status.

I can't believe you did all that yourself. You are a whiz with paint and a glue gun.

So stinkin' impressive.

Ms. Tee said...

Goodness gracious, as my mom says - you did an awesome job! That mural is great, what little boy wouldn't love that. And the seat is great, too. Can't wait to see the rest! :)

Our Complete Family said...

What an amazing job you did! Yes, you have earned your Superhero status if anyone ever doubted that!!! Holy moly girly!
Hope your glue gunned fingers are better now!
~ Les

The Berry's Patch said...

I used to have that kind of energy. Where did it go?

The room looks super hero fabulous! :-)

Mother Hood said...

How FUN! Gotta love that glue gun! BTW, I dedicated an entire Butt Paste post to you and your baby boy!

-Homey-

Girly Stuff said...

Very cute! Just in time for Christmas! Now you can fill it with the new toys!

Jo said...

Love it ~ all in a nap hour, amazing! The chair is fabulous!

Where are you in Michigan? I was born in Ann Arbor and grew up in East Lansing. My entire family lives in MI.

Jo

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

In response to my blog post. Don't worry....my best friend is a "everything must have a place" kind of girl. We always tease that I need a little of her blood and she needs some of mine (or at least she can come over and put hers to good use at my house. :)I will make sure everything is spotless before I invite you into my bedroom. hee hee

Anonymous said...

The boys' room looks fantastic! You must have energy to burn, girl! There's a little boy over here, who, if he saw that table with the car track on it, would go nutso, and barely leave it's side - he would eat off it, I know it! But, it looks great with what you've done to it. I just won't show Sammo the 'before' picture, as I know what he'd be hassling Daddy to make!!!

Hope you're having a lovely day, and have thawed out. I won't mention the type of weather we're having at present;)...

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

I LOVE it, you are so talented! That is awesome, they are soo going to love it! Wow and during one nap time...wow! Can't wait to see the completed room!

HeatherPride said...

Cute!! I did murals on both my kids' walls as well. I love to go for it in their rooms!

Anonymous said...

I love projects like this and want the whole world to stop when I get into it!

Cool room what did the boys say?