
...but that wasn't always the case.
She was one of eleven children born in Virginia seventy years ago...
When I was seven, I was so angry she made a green, ruffled polyester dress that she wanted me to wear for Christmas pictures...She won.
When I was twelve, she made my sister and I spend the summer studying "Christian Sex Education" with HER as our teacher. I am talking audio tapes, workbooks, and lectures...I just about died sitting through that...but it was helpful...eventually.
When I was sixteen (until I was about eighteen), I spent too much time whining about how unfair she was, (she charged me MONEY if she cleaned up my room!) and plotting how I would be WAY different...
In college, my thinking about HER changed...and I was thinking I might have been blessed to have a role model like her...
By the time I was twenty, I was starting to realize she was a pioneer of her time-she attended college, married "late" at 26, and was a working professional until she had babies at thirty...
When I got married at twenty-four, she gave my new husband and I "space" to figure out life together.
When I started having my babies at twenty-nine, she came over every day to help me as I chartered the new waters of parenthood. She helped me with laundry, dishes, and encouraged my to love on my new baby.
At thirty-one, she was the only one who could get my colicky second baby to stop crying. She would hold him while I slept, and then again help me with laundry, and dishes-which were impossible to control with two little ones now.
By the time my first two boys were toddlers and I had little sanity left, she was attaining god-like status in my eyes, Tin Man's eyes, and my boys' eyes. She would come over once a week to give me a "day", as she called it. She was always up for a walk to the park to play, or reading to my boys, chasing them around the house or just listening to me as I talked (adult interaction was needed after baby talk all week, and at this point, Tin Man was working close to eighty hours a week).
I fit in one more (colicky!) baby that she again helped me with.
But last Fall, we almost lost her...
My (elderly) dad, my (pregnant) sister, and I rotated at the hospital for a week while she pulled through...We made sure she was never alone. MY Tin Man and my (dear) neighbor parented my boys, and I put my life on hold for her...How could I not?
But she is spunky, and a fighter and she bounced back.
(Her birthday last year, two weeks after the hospital stay)
Within three months of her hospital stay, she was at my sister's house helping her every day with her newborn twins. (We couldn't stop her! She insisted...)
Within six months, we (Tin Man, my boys, my sister and her husband {with the twins in tow}, and my dad) all spent our usual week together at our cottage for Fourth of July. We were so thankful to be together...
A year has passed, and She is celebrating a birthday today.
Happy Birthday MOM!
You are feisty, but sweet.
You are full of faith in God, and fun.
You gave everything in you to Dad, J, and me-
Tin Man thinks everyone needs a MOTHER-IN-LAW like you!
(There wouldn't be mother-in-law jokes if that were the case!)
and you are the best Nana to my boys...
I want to be JUST LIKE YOU in every way!

"Give her the reward she has earned; she should be praised in public for what she has done."
Proverbs 31:31 NCV
~Ruby Red Slippers (...who was NOT named this by HER, but definitely inherited a love of shoes-(and sparkly ones especially!) from HER...)



27 comments:
I am in tears. What a wonderful mom you have. I want to be just like her too and I haven't even met her. Thank you for that. I'm gunna go call my mommy and tell her that I love her.
Aww that is just a very sweet tribute.
I hope she has a wonderful birthday.
Oh my goodness. That took my breath away.
That was beautiful. I hope you frame it and give it to your mom.
To RRS's Mom,
I wish I knew you. You sound like a worthy role model and someone I'd like to say I know.
Happy Birthday.
Warmly,
Darcy
This is every mom's dream realized...her daughter's thanks!
Happy Birthday Nana Slippers!
that made me cry... happy birthday to your mom! And I have a mother in law like your mom and I praise God and thank him for her daily!!!
Your Mom is amazing. I wish her a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY. I recognised much of my own Mum in those words.
Thanks for sharing your beautiful Mom in such a beautiful way.
Lindsay
What a precious tribute to your mom! She must be beaming with pride! I'm sorry you nearly lost your mom, but so glad that she made it through to enjoy many more wonderful times with you and the rest of your family. Really makes you count your blessing, huh?
I lost my mom back in 2000 and there has been a huge void in my life ever since. I strive everyday to be just like her...she was the best in my eyes, just as your mom is to you.
Hope she had a great birthday!!!
What a wonderful birthday post for your mom! This loving tribute also says a lot about you as a mother. You can tell through your words that you both are wonderful mothers. You both are cetaintly blessed!! Love to both of you lovely woment!
Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog. I hope I didn't make a "blog faux pas" by adding you to my blog list! I have so much fun reading your blog and I love your site. Thanks for adding me to yours-I am just starting this blog thing and I am addicted-I love it when people read it!
Have a great week!!
Ahh..I just got home...tired and NOW CRYING...what a beautiful tribute to such a wonderful woman and mom! Just beautiful!!!
-sandy toes
Oh my goodness. That was the sweetest thing. I can only hope one day my children will look back and see the things you have seen in your mother..in me. (Not likely at this moment in time though)
Thanks for that.
How very special - for both you and your mother - that you have discovered the depth of who she is while she is still with you. Your tribute to her is so beautiful.
What a beautiful tribute to your mom! It makes me not only appreciate my two moms(my mother-in-law included)but your words encourages me to TELL them!
What a great post, makes me want to call my mom right now!
This is SUCH a great post; you are extremely talented. What a wonderful role model you have in HER! Happy birthday, Ruby Red Slipper's Mom.
And thank you for stopping by my blog. I'm really enjoying learning how to sign with my son. He's small, so it takes him a bit to pick up signs but he signed "eat" today. So I'm thrilled!
That was beautiful!! =)
Happy Birthday to your Mom!!
BTW, come on over to my blog; I have an award waiting for you!! =)
Aww what a wonderful tribute to your lovely momma! I am best friends with my mom, and reading your words about your mom makes me think of what I have been through with mine too. Sounds like your mom has a wonderful support system and you must have a heck of a mom! Love your blog!
Thanks for sharing that.. i cried through the whole thing!!
That was the sweetest thing I have ever read. I hope she had a wonderful birthday!
AW, a very happy birthday to one very special and amazing lady!! I love that picture of her holding the twins!!!
I am crying...what a dear mom you have... and what a precious gift to TREASURE. I lost my mom when I was 25, she was 45. OH HOW I MISS HER. Every day.
This post is beautiful.
What a great post I hope she has a great birthday!
What a wonderful tribute to your mother! She sounds fabulous!
What a beautiful post..
and a sweet tribute to
a beautiful woman..
Your Mother sounds like
such a blessing..
That is the most awesome post I have read. Your words so capture the amazing mom that you have!
You said, "She would hold him while I slept, "
This strikes a cord b/c I had that same experience with my mom.
Happy Thanksgiving!
VERY sweet :) Happy Birthday mom!
Post a Comment