Fall weather here in a VERY cold northern state led us to make some warm comfort food this past week.
One roast made three meals...(I can't take the credit, just the pictures...) Tin Man made the most delicious Roast one day, Vegetable Soup the next, and a final meal of BBQ Beef Sandwiches...Go throw your roast in the Crock Pot and get some paper to write down THREE (!) great recipes from one little roast...They'll keep you warm and toasty (and FULL) all week...
One Good Roast
- Buy one good rump roast (big and meaty!)
- Add a few cloves of garlic (We are crazy-we add six!)
- Two packets of crock pot roast seasoning. We use "Crockery Sensations" by the meat counter at our grocery store
- Add 1/2 a bag of baby carrots (save the other half for the soup), a few celery sticks (chopped up), and a few onions (or a lot-that's what we do!)
- Put everything in your crock pot on low before you go to bed and let it sit until dinner the next night...When you wake in the morning-resist eating it for breakfast! The meat will be soft, and juicy and ready for dinner by five...
- If you choose, make a green salad, and serve with rolls. (Salad and rolls will also go with tomorrow's meal...)
Pretty Good and Spicy Vegetable Soup
- Take out the roast meat, and set it aside for a few minutes...You'll need it for the soup and the BBQ Beef next.
- Pull out all left-over veggies and garlic. (Hopefully you ate it all with the roast. If you didn't-you need to pitch them-or eat them up right now!)
- Take out 1/2 cup of the beef broth. (To be used in your sandwiches later...)
- Add three cans of V-8 juice.
- Add one can of stewed tomatoes-with the juice. Chop the tomatoes.
- Add fresh veggies-carrots, chopped tomatoes, chopped celery, chopped onions (At least a cup of each).
- Add three tablespoons of Tony's Creole Seasoning, one teaspoon of pepper, one cup of water.
- Heat on low for two hours, then chop up a little of the roast meat for the soup (saving a bunch for the sandwiches)
- Simmer for a few hours
- Make a green salad, and buy a French Baguette to go with the soup.
And One Final Meal......
BBQ Beef Sandwiches
- Use the left-over roast meat and chop it up in a skillet
- Add 1/2 cup of veg. beef broth (that you had set aside from the roast in the crock pot before making soup).
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 cup of sweet BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- cover and simmer for a bit (30 minutes at least)
- Make sure you have buns, pickles, and some chips. (Yummm...)
Now go enjoy a few days of meals!
~Ruby Red Slippers (....who is now cleaning that %^$#@ crock pot!)



18 comments:
Boy, do you ever know how to make my tummy growl!! All of it sounds scrumptious! Pot roast is one of my favorite foods...it's so easy to cook! I do mine in a crock pot, as well. I put baby carrots and cut up potatoes in the bottom of the crock pot. I set the roast (rump) on top of the veggies. I put more carrots and potatoes on top of the roast. Then, I take an envelope of Lipton's beefy onion soup mix and sprinkle it on top of everything. I pour 1/2-3/4 cup of water on top and cook on high for about 5 hours. It is so good!
I'm going to have to give your recipe a try, if I can find the seasoning you mentioned. I've never heard of it, but I'll keep my eyes open.
Wow...a lot of cooking going on at your home...looks so yummy! That crockpot was so full..it cracked me up!
What a yummy weekend!
-sandy toes
Wow, what a great week of yummy food..
I am glad that you had a great birthday.. You were to cute.. about to devour your cake..
Um, did you mention and new prada purse and not post a picture... Shame on you..lol.
I did not like The Lucky One. It was blah to me.. Yeah, I just finished. How weird is that? I think I have mentioned it a couple hundred times.. last week was crazy for me..
It's on!! :o) Especially the piece de resistance! BBQ sandwiches on the third day! Compliments to the chef!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne
Yummy! I will have to try them :) Your lucky, a hubbers that cooks :)
You're killing me!! Those look delicious and I agree, nothing like some awesome comfort food as soon as the weather gets chilly!
Okay, I have to do this because I have been so lazy in the dinner dept. lately! THANK YOU (from the man and children)
You got it girl. C.O.S.T cooking...cook once, serve twice, but in your case three times. I am going to have to get you to try my Grandma's Sunday Roast seasoning. It's yummy and will even beat your store's seasoning. :)Sorry I missed your bday. I haven't been on anyone's blog in days....gasp.
Can't wait to try your yummy recipes! Tip for crock pot: I use Reynolds slow cooker liners-makes my clean up a breeze. I hate cleaning the crock pot-I just buy the liners and store them in the crock pot so I don't forgot to use them when I start my meal. Look forward to making your meals.
Yes, yes. Comfort food for us Northerners. Thanks for the fab recipes! You are blessed to have a Tin Man who cooks. As am I. You are blessed to have three boys. As do I. Are you also in denial about winter, as am I? lol
The roast is making my mouth water. It is cold and (almost) snowy here today and I am wanting some comfort food!
Carrie
I suddenly have an appetite reading your post. When are you sending Tin Man over here to give my husband his cooking lessons?
Thanks for sharing your delicious recipes once again.
Lindsay
Gosh, this is making me so hungry! :)
I've never heard of molasses in bbq, but I'm SURE I'd love it. :)
And I'm gonna have to try that spicy veggie soup. Yum - thanks for sharing your recipes!
I am coming to your house for dinner!
You are so funny : ). My Mom always made a roast every single Sunday when we were growing up. I haven't attempted one yet since getting married. My cooking is limited : ). This sure did sound simple though.
I just love your blog name. It always makes me smile!
I think I can smell it all the way over here at my house. 3 meals in one now that's my kind of cooking!!!!
I love this post! I'm going to do it with my turkey!
I'm so excited!! I have been wanting to try this recipe since reading it! I should say all three since you are able to make three meals from it. My husband bought a roast - he does the grocery shopping. :o) I will try and take a couple pictures! Thanks again for posting the yummy recipe!!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne
Post a Comment