Welcome back for Post Two of our Master Bedroom. My favorite room in my house is my Master Bathroom, but this room is my close second favorite. I wanted this room to feel like a retreat, a haven, and a restful place~and it has been.
- I had the ceiling fan removed (to the horror of Tin Man at first~) and replaced it with a chandelier. It gives the room more of a romantic feel.
- The wall color is soothing, but of course, there is a bunch of red in here. I can never have too much red in my decorating!
- We started marriage with a full mattress. We now have three kids, a cat, and a dog~Bring in the King size mattress!!!
- This room has cathedral ceilings and I love the detail of that.
- It wouldn't be one of my favorite spaces without Tins and Vinyl Words!
- As much as we love our kids, the only pictures in here are of our wedding, our engagement, or pictures of us through the years.
(Everyone says don't have a television in the bedroom-but you know what? We love it. It has a built in DVD player, so we watch movies in here, and so do the kids when they are not feeling so good. )
- The mirror above the bed belonged to my parents. It hung over their fireplace until lightening went through the wall behind it and melted the silver inside the mirror. After that, it sat in their basement until I had to have it! I love the way the mirror looks~and I love the story behind it. I still remember jumping sky high as we sat eating Easter lunch with my family when we saw (and felt) the lightening hit...
- Something I do not like about this room is the missing headboard. When we switched over to a bigger bed-over five years ago-I haven't been able to figure out what kind of headboard to get. I don't want a whole new set of furniture, and I just can't figure out what will go in here... Any suggestions?
I love the little "nook" by my closet. We found that little writing desk when a historic hotel closed years ago. It is the perfect place to write letters, and to do some blogging. If you keep walking that way you will be also heading towards my favorite room in our house~
My Oasis after a long day of cleaning up after three boys, two pets, a husband and myself...




27 comments:
I love your bedroom and bathroom! It looks so comfy! As for headboard suggestions, I have seen on home shows where they make them themselves. You could probably search online for headboard ideas. What I have seen is a piece of plywood that is the length of the bed, then they put backing on it so that it is cushy and then cover it with the material of their choice. I bet this sounds awkward, but if you look it up, it is super cute!
I love your vinyl phrase...you are good at placing these throughout your home. I have NOT one vinyl word anywhere... I am scared!
Your master looks delightful...a little red is just perfect.
sandy toe
What a beautiful room! Can't go wrong with red--it's my favorite color, too.
I agree with Mrs S--search online. Something padded like she suggests would feel and look so luxurious. Or you might find an old door. Possibilities are endless.
One question (well, maybe two). How'd you talk your hubby into taking down the ceiling fan? And having all those pillows on the bed? Me and mine go round and round bout these two subjects. :-)
Good Morning,
Your master bedroom is so elegant and rich! I love the story behind the mirror. Goodness that must have been loud.
I too do not have a headboard and also have a king sized bed. I am collecting ideas for what I want and I keep leaning toward something homemade. Like the doors on their sides and stacked, then outlined in molding. Something that makes a statement. However, my colors run on the lighter side for my mb but you could do something similar with a darker paint to match your furniture.
I keep going around and around in my mind about a tv in our room. I like how yours is compact and I especially like the idea of a dvd player built in. I will run that by my husband. :o)
Have a wonderful day!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne
It looks beautiful. As for the headboard ideas - I love the padded headboard idea (Kimba @ A Soft Place to land & Wendy @ The Shabby Nest have some instructions I believe). I also love the idea of using a door turned sideways as headboards.
Have fun figuring it out.
What a beautiful room. Love the entire thing. you should go into interior decorating. You could redo my house and them use me as a reference!
Love the bedroom! Beautiful! The mirror is awesome. Lots of fun to pass on the story of things like that to our kids.
So many great headboard ideas here...those were all the ones I thought of, too. Plus one more--paint one on! They did that here http://www.casasugar.com/1732062. You could do a stencil of anything you wanted.
Your bedroom is gorgeous. I love the color, the furniture, the ceilings, the mirror and everything. I love it all. You really have the most beautiful home. Your bathroom is amazing.
As for the headboard, I like the ideas mentioned in earlier comments of covering it in fabric. My Mom has done this several times for me using fabric from curtians that she has shortened. I am also thinking how good you are with the spray paint! Could you buy a headboard you like and then spray it to match your furniture?
I always enjoy your home posts.
Lindsay
What a beautiful bedroom.
As for the headboard, in the past I had a fabric covered headboard and loved it! I was able to change out the fabric when I wanted to change the look of my bedroom without it costing a fortune.
This room is so soothing! I love the chandelier...nice choice! And I had to laugh about the king size bed upgrade. We have a queen bed, and are wondering why we didn't just get a king when we got married...
Carrie
What a beautiful room. It reminds me of a retreat where you can go and all your worries just wash away. Ok well maybe not all but most. You are a great decorator.
Just curious, where did you get the two dress pictures hanging over your writing desk? They are wicked cool!
Your room is (of course) gorgeous!! We have a tv in our room too and usually watch movies or the news, but it isn't on all the time. I know people say don't have one, but I do and I love it! As for the headboard...go to bhg.com - they have TONS of cool and unique headboard ideas there.
I know someone who uses a queen headboard with their King bed. I know it sounds weird but I never noticed it until she pointed it. If you have a headboard that matches the rest of your furniture, might be worth trying out...even if it's just until you have time for making the padded one which I have done. It is EASY and beautiful like everyone says!
Let us know what you decide to do;)
Love the bedroom--as always--Love the RED!
FYI: I once watched a Housewives of NYC Marathon for about 24 hours straight.
I love your MB it is so relaxing. I really like the tins and the words--actually everything about the room!
We have an upholstered headboard that I love. Actually, bought it at Restoration Hardward before kiddos :) But, you could totally make you own--that would look great in that room-check out the styles at Pottery Barn. A nice monogrammed on would be cute and a great do-it-yourself project!
BTW, I like you TV-what brand is it, where did ya get it--we are in the mkt for one just like that one (not too big).
Hey Sweets!
I love the master bedroom! The chandelier makes it look so romantic. Love the words and frames on the wall. I have been thinking about buying some words for my mudroom. I just may do it after seeing how cute your are! Hugs...julie
lOVE IT ALL! The mirror story, everything...
How about these ideas...
Get some foam core, and buy some tin ceiling tiles, glue the ceiling tiles to the foam core or MDF, and mount it to the wall as a head board... you can even use velcro so you can change it up all the time...
or
Same MDF or foamcore, and wrap batting, thick and luxurious and then put a lovely fabric over the top and and sew buttons to make a Pillow top effect...
Does that make sense?
Hey You! CONGRATULATIONS! You are my Spilt Milk give-away winner! Please email me your address, so I can ship you your prize!
We love having a T.V. in our room too! It's our time to snuggle up and watch some good shows!
A covered headboard is the way to go with a bench at the foot of the bed. We hung ours on the wall behind the bed with some heavy duty wire and screws.
Your bedroom is lovely! I like the chandy most!
You could make a headboard instead of buy one. Like on TLC, they make wooden ones and put foam or padding on it and wrap fabric around it, but I think a rich dark brown leather headboard would be so elegant maybe with buttons on it...you know that look. Is Tin Man a handy man? LOVE the chandlier in your bedroom and the bathroom. Wowie!
I didn't read the comments before writing my previous comment. They pretty much said it all except I think I'm the only one that mentioned leather!!!
We have a TV in our bedroom too...oh well...I love all your red! It looks so inviting!
Stay Cozy, Carrie
Your bedroom is very nice. We love our TV in the bedroom too. I saw someone take two pieces of plywood once and cover them in padding and fabric and use that as a headboard. It was awesome. That might be nice. Good luck. We need a king. I am SO jealous! We kick each other all night long...
Your master bedroom is yummy! Mine is tiny and I had to make a closet. BUT... my kids got to have their own rooms that way so it works :) How about a headboard out of shutters painted black?
Love your master hun! It is a neat retreat, that's for sure! Can you convince my hubster to let me hang our extra chandelier in our bedroom? He's a fan man and it drives me BONKERS!
Happy Spring, Les
Oh, man! I only just decided to read your comments to this post AFTER I wrote a comment for this in your latest post...!!! Now I'm a little embarrassed...;)... I'm just SO original!!!:)
Post a Comment