
There are not many things that get me on a soapbox. I try to avoid arguing politics, religion, and other topics because I know what I believe, and you can believe what you want to believe.
However (~and THAT is the big "but" in my post today)...
The following ruling made me sad yesterday, and I wondered your thoughts on this volatile subject: Drunk Driving and Your Rights As A Drunk Driver
(After you read the following article-I will share with you my thoughts, so please read on...)
WASHINGTON (Oct. 20) — Chief Justice John Roberts spoke out in vain Tuesday against a lower court ruling he says will "grant drunk drivers 'one free swerve'" that could potentially end some one's life.
Roberts wanted the Supreme Court to review the lower court ruling but he failed to persuade enough of his colleagues. The court declined to hear an appeal from Virginia officials who had their drunk driving conviction of Joseph A. Moses Harris, Jr. thrown out by that state's Supreme Court. Police were notified by an anonymous tipster that Harris was driving intoxicated, but the arresting officer did not see Harris break any traffic laws.Skip over this content
While Chief Justice John Roberts argued that police need "every legitimate tool at their disposal for getting drunk drivers off the road," his colleagues declined to review a lower court decision on the issue.Skip over this content The majority of the justices did not say why they did not take the case, but Roberts in a written dissent, joined by Justice Antonin Scalia, said the Virginia court's decision will put people in danger.
"The decision below commands that police officers following a driver reported to be drunk do nothing until they see the driver actually do something unsafe on the road — by which time it may be too late," Roberts wrote.
Roberts noted that close to 13,000 people die in alcohol-related car crashes a year, which equals to one death every 40 minutes.
Roberts said a majority of the courts have said it doesn't violate the Fourth Amendment protection against unreasonable search and seizure to pull over drunk drivers based on anonymous tips from programs like the "Drunk Busters Hotline."
But some courts, including some in Wyoming, Massachusetts and Connecticut, have agreed with Virginia in saying that police must see a traffic violation before pulling over a suspected drunk driver based on an anonymous tip.
The Supreme Court should have stepped in and made the rule clear, Roberts said.
"The stakes are high. The effect of the rule below will be to grant drunk drivers 'one free swerve' before they can be legally pulled over by police," Roberts said. "It will be difficult for an officer to explain to the family of a motorist killed by that swerve that the police had a tip that the driver of the other car was drunk, but that they were powerless to pull him over, even for a quick check."
Richmond, Va., police were called on the morning of Dec. 31, 2005, and told that an intoxicated Harris was driving a green Altima down the street. A police officer saw Harris drive slowly through an intersection where he didn't have to stop and put on his brake lights well in advance of a red light.
Harris then pulled over to the side of the road, where the police officer smelled alcohol on his breath. Harris also failed the field sobriety tests, but the police officer did not see him break any traffic laws.
Harris was convicted of driving while intoxicated, but the Virginia Supreme Court threw out his conviction. The court said since the police officer did not see erratic driving behavior like swerving, there was not a reasonable suspicion of criminal activity to warrant the stop.
Harris's lawyer said the Supreme Court should let that decision stand because "society's reasonable expectation of privacy requires some facts to support the tipster's allegation that the driver was intoxicated."
If that's correct and the Fourth Amendment bans the use of anonymous tips on drunk drivers without police verification, "the dangerous consequences of this rule are unavoidable," Roberts said. "But the police should have every legitimate tool at their disposal for getting drunk drivers off the road. I would grant certiorari to determine if this is one of them."
The case is Virginia v. Harris, 08-1385.
My thoughts? I thought you would never ask!
1. If you are driving drunk-You deserve to be pulled over. (You won't be offended if you have nothing to hide, is my thinking-)
2. The Fourth Amendment (Listed below for you in its entirety),
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." says "unreasonable", and to me, if someone THINKS you are drunk driving and gives an anonymous tip to the police, that IS reasonable cause to me for you to be pulled over.
3. You get one "free swerve" before they can pull you over? What if that "free swerve" is into me and my kids??? What about my rights as a law abiding citizen?
4. This means, when I am out, and I see a drunk swerve all over the road, the police can now do nothing based on my call? What about the rest of us who don't want to get hit by them??? I call EVERY TIME in a panic because I think of how MY family has been affected by a drunk driver, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone...
5. Finally-and to me closest to my heart, and my sadness-I wish someone had made an anonymous tip before my older brother was killed by a drunk driver at age twenty. I wish he knew my sons-especially how one of my boys carries his name as their middle name. (Did you know Brother, he even has hints of your strawberry highlighted hair? I catch a glimpses sometimes, and think, of all my boys-the one with your name, has YOUR hair???)
What are your thoughts on this ruling?
(...Who wished I could show you a great picture of my fantastic, kind, funny, gentle, sweet, older brother sitting with my boys in the picture above. But I can't. He was killed by a drunk driver...)



17 comments:
I am completely against drinking and driving that this article angers me tremendously. How many more children, mothers, fathers, sisters and brothers have to die because of drunk drivers?
Going out to dinner I get irritated by these parents that drink with dinner then put their kids in the car and drive home. Don't they understand the consequences? Don't they care?
This is a hard one. I am against drinking and driving - don't think that I am not. But the only issue I could see with the rule if they changed it would be getting 'crank' calls. Someone gets enough road rage or thinks it 'would be funny' to report someone swerving and they really weren't. It wastes the police officers time and resources - and trust me those are thin to begin with.
My husband used to be a police officer. I'm going to ask him his opinion when he's done with his call and I'll come back and let you know what he says.
I am very sorry for your loss of your brother. I know that if I see someone I know thinking about drinking and driving I DO make it known that I won't stand for it. I stood up for myself after going to a party with my sorority sisters and the girl I was riding with had one drink. I refused to get in her car because of it (even though she showed no signs of being drunk we were underage - that in itself was stupid ;)). I ended up riding with someone else instead and I've never regretted that. If I know we are going out either I drink nothing and I drive home or I make sure it's agreed that my husband is the driver for the night or we take a cab/train. No one deserves to lose someone they love.
I agree with you on all accounts. I am sorry about the loss of your brother. I think it would be well worth police officers' time to pull over all suspected drunk drivers (even if a percentage of them are crank calls) if it means saving more lives like your brother. A small price to pay--in my opinion.
This is absolutely rediculous. I am writing a nasty letter to someone. So sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. I cal when I see drunks on the road too. It seems like they always are fine during the crashes and the innocent people are killed. I am outraged.
Okay I asked my husband and here's what he said: In DE yes they could pull over based on a tip alone. But by the time they actually were cleared from other things they were dealing with the likelihood of actually finding said car was slim. Tips like that become low priority it the scheme of things. Unfortunate but true.
He also said that if you were following the car for over 1/4-1/2 mile and continued to follow to 'watch' for a mistake from the driver then you could run into problems in court from the defense. Such as not having cause to be following the car to begin with. It all comes down to tricky legalities and precedents and each state our counties previous rulings.
So he does understand what your saying. The likelihood of a car suddenly swerving into another lane isn't common. If they were drunk they would be weaving within the lane well before hand and then the officer would see it.
It's a tough issue no matter what.
All i can say at this point is ... well I am sitting here crying. I haven't been personally affected by a drunk driver, but know people who have been. And I'm with you what about MY rights? The drunk driver has more rights than I do? Almost feels that way. I am so sad right now. What is our world coming to?
This is STOOOPID! Ruby Red, all your points are valid and I agree!
If someone suspects a driver of being drunk and they are NOT, then they have nothing to hide.
But if they ARE then the police need to get them OFF of the road immediately.
I could not agree with you more.
The more I read the information the harder it was for me to sit still in my chair.
My very first thought is for the person (s) being hit by the drunk driver.
I am so sorry for your loss. For your entire family.
When a person gets behind the wheel while intoxicated, they are basically thumbing their nose at the law and those others around them. They need to be reprimanded to the full extent.
The whole concept of a free swerve is wrong!
Love,
Trish
Well, nothing surprises me anymore~
sandy toe
I couldn't agree with you more! Preach it, sister!
So sorry about your brother. How awful that his life was taken from him. What a needless accident. I can only imagine what your family has been through.
Mrs. Nurse Boy
I'm so sorry to hear about your brother...such a tragedy. One of the boys from my daughters high school just got 20 years in prison for killing two little boys while drunk driving. I wish they would require breathalyzers in all cars. It would save so many lives.
I agree with you whole heartedly, in fact I am writing a persuasive speech on Not drinking and driving for my Oral Communications class. My husbands dad was killed (when my husband was 9) by a drunk driver. My husband is now in law enforcement and is big on DUI cases and when going to court for them has never lost a case. However, he and I have had many conversations about this- I believe as you do but him, being trained in his job tells me that he must "build a strong case" to convict. They get calls all the time when someone just wants to get another person in trouble. They must watch their driving and have reason to stop them. His point was, we all swerve once in awhile so you have to have a reasonable suspision and to build a case to get the conviction. Im sorry for your loss, my children dont have a granpa because of someone who was drinking and driving. My youngest has part of his name. We understand your pain and you thoughts and Im so glad to read this blog post as I work on my speech on drinking and driving.
I just read what Blogging Mama said her husband said. My husband is a Police Officer in NC and a tip here, is reason to follow a car but not enough to stop them. They follow according to the tip to see if there is a reasonable suspicion to stop them. Its sad that it varies from state to state. His father was killed in the Florida everglades. They were the only two cars on the road and yet the other driver still swerved into his vehicle killed everyone involved. My thoughts are it was dark and she was drawn to his headlight in her drunken state. Check the statistics on how many are killed due to DUIs and how many soldiers have died in Iraq. That is shocking, that more die due to DUI than in a war!!
Oh, this makes me so sad.
The thing I thought as I read this though was that any reasonable police officer would pull over any swervers even if they didn't disobey a traffic law. Isn't going over the yellow line in the middle a law? I at least hope that is what would happen.
I am so sorry for your loss. So very, very sorry. I can not even imagine.
I am so sorry about your brother. That must have been devastating for you. Your laws are different to ours over here. If I were making the laws I would ban drunk drivers from driving for life.
Lindsay
x
Ridiculous.
This world is becoming way more compassionate to the ones who choose wrong than to the ones that try to be right.
I am sorry to hear your brother was taken so soon.
Ridiculous.
Hang tight to what is right.
Hold onto to prayer for what right can do.
.mac :)
This affects every single one of us... and I'm so sorry it hit so close to home for you and your family.
The girl who hit me last year and totaled both vehicles was driving impaired.
At her sentencing, I told her that my body would never be the same, and how it was horrifying to see my son's carseat tipped against the smashed in backseat door.
I am grateful - every day - that he woke up with a cough that morning and was safely home instead of in the car with me.
(I'm in law enforcement - our agency follows up on calls and actively encourages them. We have a great DUI track record and I can't wait until there are NO drunk drivers left to pursue).
Bless you
Post a Comment