If I think back to the years growing up in my family {with my mom, dad, and sister~}, there are a few things that appear in my mind like a "snapshot" of the times.I picture my mom sitting on her bed in the afternoons reading her Bible, and making notes in a spiral notebook. I should have been napping-but snuck out of my room (several times~) and found her like that.
Or~Another mental "snapshot" I have is waking up early to get ready for high school, coming downstairs to use the shower, and seeing my dad kneeling at the family room couch praying. Every morning.
Those are just a couple of the "snapshots" I visualize when I think of my parents and their faith...It was just how "life" was in my parent's house growing up. It was more than them just 'talking' their faith, but living it~
"My son, keep your father's commands and do not forsake your mother's teaching. Bind them upon your heart forever; fasten them around your neck. When you sleep, they will watch over you; when you awake, they will speak to you. For these commands are a lamp, this teaching is a light, and the corrections of discipline are the way to life."
~Proverbs 6: 20-23
{Wait. You thought we were going to talk about the Book of John, right?}
I promise-I am getting there!
The study of the Book of John (specifically John 1: 19-51) made me think about what I want my kid's mental pictures one day to be as they head into adulthood. I want them to know their purpose in this life-what they were designed to be~
~And I see my job as their mom is to give them a mental picture of what GOD wants for their lives.
John the Baptist knew his purpose in life. He emphatically stated he was NOT the Christ, he was Not the Messiah-BUT~He pointed the people to Christ every chance he got:
"John replied, in the words of Isaiah the prophet, 'I am the voice of the one calling in the desert, Make straight the way for the Lord.' "
~John 1: 23
That is what I want my boys to come to the knowledge of as they grow to adulthood. They have a purpose-and it is to point the way to Jesus Christ in all they do. They can choose to be a dump truck driver, or a PH.D in whatever- but what they each have is a purpose on this earth.
John didn't just wake up one day and discover he was to be the one to point to the Messiah-it was prophesied from his birth. (Luke 1: 13-14: "But the angel said to him: 'Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to give him the name John. He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth, for he will be great in the sight of the Lord.' ")
Imagine the stories John the Baptist heard about his birth! His parents surely invested time, communication, and prayer over their dear son's purpose for his life. How could they not have?? An angel told them what their son would do one day!
He grew up knowing that his life had a purpose. He did not waver in his faith in the Messiah. He did not try to be the Christ, but his excitement pointed the way to Jesus every step of his life...even to the end~
That is what I pray God helps me and Tin Man do with our boys-Give them a mental "snapshot" of how important our faith in Christ was to us, so they want what we have. I also want to instruct them, and guide them in the ways of the Lord. I want to encourage them in all the moments we have together so they KNOW their life has a greater purpose.
I know they are here for a purpose! (I know your children are too!) As Parents~We have our work cut out for us, don't we??!!
" "I baptize with water," John replied, "but among you stands one you do not know. He is the one who comes after me, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie." "
~John 1: 26
So my question for you today is:
Say Cheese! What is the mental "snapshot" you hope your kids will remember later in life so they realize their purpose is to point others towards a relationship with Christ?

{Homework: Read John 2: 1-25. See you next Tuesday for Bible Study. Bring your thoughts and a cup of coffee. I'll even share my favorite creamer!}



13 comments:
Okay..that is ONE loaded question~
I hope that in anything...or anything they do or accomplish that their hope and faith is always in the Lord Jesus Christ. Realizing this world has nothing to offer and it will fall...but their hope and salvation is in Christ. Our only hope!
sandy toe
This is a beautiful post. When I came to an understanding that the Lord has a specific purpose for my life, it changed my entire view. Now, years later, being a mom in love with Jesus, I always want our children to grab a hold of that truth and walk in it. No matter what may come. There is such a peace in knowing it. :o)
I am dropping the little package in the mail today. The mail did not run yesterday. :o)
Love,
Trish
I want them to see the joy of being His.
Find their gifts that He has given them, and then wear the world out with them.
It is my goal to show them compassion. I think God has that pressed upon my heart to work on to become one of my strengths. I think my boys and Kenny are examples that I can look to when I want to see compassion firsthand.
God asks us to live, to tell, to share, to love.
I want my pearly whites to to show just this.
Who knows what these 2 rugrats will look back on and say they saw...
I am a little nervous to hear their answer to this one day!! EEK!!
.mac :)
What a thoughtful post for us all!!
I hope my sweet angels never forget how their mama loves to sing and worship our GOD!!
One of our favorites right now is adorable when Cash sings parts of it.....Rise and Shine, and give God the Glory Glory--Children of the Lord.
Do you remember that one--Lord told Noah to build him an arky, arky....so cute!!
You always manage to give us food for thought and I love that about you! What do I want my girls to remember? Well, I would love for them to remember that I had empathy for others. I always strive to put others before myself, though I may not always succeed. I try to always make myself think about how God would want me to handle every situation I'm faced with...and I try to do so with GRACE.
I've just recently started kneeling at our couch to pray throughout the day. Noggin was throwing a fit yesterday, even after his spankings.
So, I went to the couch and like David before a battle, consulted God in my "battle" with my four year old. The ordeal ended with a very repentent little boy!
It is interesting that you say this today. My daughter has to write jorunals for her English class. She can write about anything, and one entry she wrote about how her daddy has spoke about a man he met that had nothing. He didnt have a bed, food or the basics that we all have. She wrote that she heard her dad cry when talking about this man and that it made her realize she needed to be nicer to people around her never knowing what they were going through. Her teacher commented ont he jorunal about what an impact that made on her. I thought, wow, we never know what impresses our children and sticks in their minds. They are watching and remembering when we dont even know it.
Me apologizing to them when I know I have messed up and asking forgiveness.
I am glad Christ is there ultimate example and not me.
What beautiful snap shots you have of your parents! I too was blessed to be raised by God fearing parents and I am so grateful for their influence on my life!! Thanks for sharing this today!!
Jen
Such a great post. And so important. How great to know that they have a purpose in this life. I hope the snapshots they see is how much we love each other, that we care about others and try to emulate Jesus in all that we do.
Thank you for your words - you always give me something to think about when I leave.
Have a wonderful week!
XOXO
jen
This is such a remarkable post. Thank you! I am embarrassed to comment on YOUR post and say that I don't walk with God nearly as closely as you do, but I am trying. I do think that women like you are the reason that I started blogging and I am inadvertently led to you day after day. For my children's snapshots - I want them to remember us working hard to be a family. Not a hard working family, but a family that genuinely put heart into our care for each other. I don't want them to think life is perfect, but want them to remember seeing us raise questions with each other, respecting each other's answers and always forgiving one another. Always.
Well, I want our kids to always find themselves in Church on Sunday mornings and I also hope our daughter continues to sing.
i love this post and your love for your boys. You are such a great example to me...raising your boys... and encouraging me in my walk with my boys. Thanks!
Post a Comment