Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Christmas Traditions...Get Your Apron!


This week for the 12 Weeks of Christmas, the topic is "Homemade Gifts." I bought some "homemade gifts" for a few people in this house who like to cook.

Twelve Weeks of Christmas


Take a Look:
I am not a fan of cooking (I believe I might have mentioned that before...) however, I love baking. Christmas baking is a family tradition for us. Last year, I found a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend who makes aprons. So I bought a few... No! Not for me, I didn't want one! (I don't like baking that much!!) But for Tin Man and my boys:


At Christmas time, we are huge Christmas cookie eaters. (I mean bakers!) We go all out making creative, delicious and beautiful (?) cookies. We were given a gingerbread men kit from our Jewish neighbors and friends.
Last year, we spent the day doing this:


Everyone had their own way of decorating their little man while wearing their homemade aprons:

Trying to eat the gingerbread was more difficult-They were hard as a rock! I was afraid of someone breaking a tooth!

(At least we made a memory creating them while wearing the made-just-for them-aprons. Eating them was a different story...)

Does anyone need an apron at your house? Christmas time is a good time to make SOMEONE (else) wear one!





post signature

(...No Way! I ffink I just cracked a toofff !!!)

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is such a beautiful tradition you've got going on with your boys! We sometimes have made a cake and decorated it for Christmas... I really need to pick myself up on our tradition-keeping! How quickly has Christmas come around this year??? I have had it on my mind to blog about the books you sent me last year for Christmas, and then put them up as a give-away... but I picked one up the other day and got this hankering to nestle down and read them all again... I really loved them. But, I do want to share them... What do you think? Tell me. I need some advice... As I really like the look of them on my bookshelf too... and I treasure them, because they were sent from you and it was all so sweet! Oh, now, don't I have me a mini dilemma!!! Please, Ma'am, I need some guidance... :) BTW, I could go a Ginger Bread Man right now!!!

Diana Ferguson said...

Love your post about baking and aprons! I'm right there with you. Baking is my thing more so than "cooking." And.....believe it or not I just bought an apron pattern yesterday!! I've made two others; just trying several patterns out.

Shell in your Pocket said...

Cute family activity!
sandy toe

trish said...

Great fun! :o)
I love baking Christmas cookies too!
My husband is serving with the older ladies on the "hostess committee" at church and he jokes about earning his apron. :o) I seriously want to make one for him - something cool though, not cutsie. :o) I like the ones you have for your boys and husband.
Have a great day.
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Susan Holt Simpson said...

I love cookies AND aprons! Your guys look great in theirs!

Julie said...

that is awesome and I love them all in their aprons! I am a big fan of aprons and the boys look so cute in theirs!

Julie said...

that is awesome and I love them all in their aprons! I am a big fan of aprons and the boys look so cute in theirs!

Michelle said...

I love the aprons! And the Gingerbead 'look' delicious! It's good to see the boys in the kitchen. I'm the same way with cooking. I hate it. But I love to bake!

God Bless

Dawn said...

i think you need an apron- maybe it would make you feel more cook-ish! just wearing it wouldn't mean you actually had to cook!!

JennyMac said...

what a great idea...and your family is the cutest!!!!

Moore Minutes said...

This is such a special thing you do! And this post was so delightful with the happy photos! Thank you for sharing it. :) I want to copy you!

laterg8r said...

love all the boys in their aprons - awesome way to spend the day :D

Kristin said...

Great pics. I can't wait to start on my cookies this year. Can't start to early or I will be eating cookies for months. At least have to wait until after Thanksgiving. Thinking about trying some new ones this year. Got any good ones to share?

Jayne said...

Love the pictures of your guys. And, like you, I don't cook OR bake! So, I don't need an apron but surely enjoyed your blog!
Christmas Blessings,
Jayne at mysongwithin

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

What a wonderful afternoon...filled with memories for sure!

How fun, Carrie

mother of three fellas said...

I love the aprons, I want to get my boys one too. We have the same tradition, making cookies together as a family. special memories.

Also, I had a trim guy do the trim above the walpaper. You could do it yourself, but we build houses, so he was easy to come by! HEHE :)
That was all we did was the trim above the bead board.

I hope this helps.

Annette said...

I love the BIG gingerbread men! We try to make a gingerbread house every year.

Geezees Custom Canvas Art said...

Great post...your gingerbread men look delicious!!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I love that your hubs helps. So cute!

Jenny said...

Adorable pictures. I love aprons. Several of our daughters and ALL of our granddaughters are into aprons! Cute post.

michele said...

I love frosted sugar cookies... and love doing gingerbread houses or gingerbread cookies with the kids! The aprons are so fun!

The Berry's Patch said...

Those are darling! I found an easy apron pattern on a blog recently. I thought I would try to make one for my niece. We'll see if I can get it done before Christmas. :-)

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Cute pictures - I love those aprons. I also love that you don't love to cook but love to bake. Me too!

XOOX
Jen

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Adorable pictures! Looks like everyone had a wonderful time! I love making some memories!

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Keelie said...

Looks like SO much fun!!

Girly Stuff said...

Aprons and Bedhead! A perfect combination!

I've always wanted an apron but never knew if I would really wear one...I just change into my sweats to bake...I guess a cute apron would save me that extra step!