Tuesday, November 17, 2009

That Is Just Wacky...


8 Then Jesus said to him, "Get up! Pick up your mat and walk." 9 At once the man was cured; he picked up his mat and walked. The day on which this took place was a Sabbath, 10 and so the Jews said to the man who had been healed, "It is the Sabbath; the law forbids you to carry your mat."
11 But he replied, "The man who made me well said to me, 'Pick up your mat and walk.' "


~John 5: 8-11


{John 5}


A man was HEALED, WALKING, CARRYING HIS OWN MAT, but all the Jewish leaders noticed was that he was breaking a law. A wacky law.


We still have some on the books here in the United States. I found a few:


Florida: The law states that if an elephant is tied to a parking meter, it must pay the same fees as a car.


California: It is a misdemeanor to shoot any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.


Florida: Unmarried women who parachute on Sunday's will be jailed.


Indiana: Monkeys are forbidden to smoke cigarettes in South Bend.


Illinois: According to state law, it is illegal to speak English. The officially recognized language is "American."


Massachusetts: It is illegal to wear a goatee without a license.


Minnesota: It is illegal to tease skunks.


Michigan (My Home State): A State law stipulates that a woman's hair legally belongs to her husband.


Why point out some of these wacky laws?


Because sometimes I can get so focused on doing the "right thing" by following one of God's laws, rather than just accepting God's grace.


I grew up in a Christian home, I went to Christian schools, I knew what "the rules" were.


I followed them because I thought I 'had' to, or so I would avoid a punishment. But they were not in my 'Heart'. It was later, when I found God's grace, and was so overwhelmed by His love-that following any kind of 'rules' today is purely out of love.


24"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life."


~John 5: 24


So-Do you want to know what made me CRY in my Bible study group this past week??? (For the record-I DO NOT make it a habit to cry in public-) This was mortifying (!!) to me. But it happened. And I guess I should just tell you about it:


One of the questions asked of us was about which verse from John 5 meant something special to us.


Of course, I wrote down my verse, but I was not planning to share-I thought I would leave that to the others who most likely wouldn't be CRYING like I do every time I read it.


My verse? John 5:24 (listed above). When I read the words, "crossed over from death to life" I tear up. Every time!


I recall when I made the decision purely on my own, to follow Jesus. It was not due to parental pressure, or influential friends, but it was like God was offering me a life preserver and I gripped on tightly with both hands, and my open heart. I truly felt like I had crossed the line from death to life.


See why I choke up? It was an emotional thing for me! And my leader called on me to answer. (!!) I mumbled my verse, and started to get all teary, but she kept asking me more about it. I tell you-I was crying, and was NOT happy that I was doing that in front of so many people. Without a tissue, I might add...


But- I made it through, and here I am-telling YOU of my embarrassment.


More importantly, this chapter got me thinking of how much I want for my kids to find God early. Not because I want them to follow some "Wacky Rules" but I want them to find God who changes their hearts, so following any kind of "rules" is out of love.


So they can say they "crossed over from death to life" and they are so grateful to God for this amazing gift of grace...


My question for you today:

What is something You want so dearly for your kids?

How are you doing something about it?

post signature

{Next Tuesday there will be NO study discussion on my blog...See you in a couple of Tuesdays for Bible Study! If you want to keep up, read chapter six of John.}

10 comments:

Shell in your Pocket said...

Above anything...salavation and a heart for God~

sandy toe

Kelli said...

Great post. I'm glad you showed your love and emotion for Christ. I'm sure you encouraged someone...tears and all.

Unknown said...

Wow. What a wonderful post. You never disappoint. I want Kaish to grow up knowing and serving God. And the thing I do to make that happen is take him to Sunday School, talk abut how God is working in our lives, and most of all, serve with him whenever and wherever I can! : )

2 Little Irish Boys said...

I am with ya on the crying....I don't think I can even step foot in worship service without crying.
As for the boys, I too want them to know God early and believe me I am doing all I can. There is nothing better than the faith of a child or childlike faith. It is helping me too.
Cash's new thing is "know what mama, I love you" "know what mama, I love God, too!" Then he says "i am gonna tell him and shouts it!!!"

Dawn said...

those are some funny laws :)
thanks for sharing your verse... it really is beautiful. i am thnakful that my kids relly know Him. certainly more than i did when i was their age. iot ws something i really wanted for them, but didn't relaize how much i needed Him, too. cam started comfirmation class this year :) a very special time!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Those laws are funny. I am trying so hard to help my kids know God and have a personal relationship with Him. I also am trying to help them learn the joy in service to others. It's such a huge responsibility - being a parent of these little souls. I pray every day that I am doing things right.

XOXO
Jen

Unknown said...

Beautiful post! I am with you I desire for my children to know Christ and His amazing love early in life. Thanks for sharing this it really touched my heart.

Angie said...

You may have really touched someone by showing your heart like that and getting emotional. Great post!

LuLu said...

great post! I want my children to have a relationship with God, to always turn toward him and follow.
thank you for this post it has me thinking of what more i can give my kiddos,
xo,
LuLu

Mommy Mac said...

JOY.

The joy of being HIS.

HIS contagious steadfast JOY that He gives you through it all.

Joy so sweet that you can't help but spread it.

That's what I want Eli and Casey face learn.

I have missed you!!!!

I have been busy being Santa's lead elf in the k.Mac workshop for many good little girls!!

I plan to be back in blog action soon!

.mac :)