Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Come On In: Easy To Make Front Porch Table


Welcome to our house!

One characteristic that my husband and I both love about our home is the front porch.
Our first home together was a little cape cod with a wide front porch that we enjoyed sitting on with our comfy chairs...
What initially drew us to our second home (this one-) seven years ago was the cozy front porch.
 It is a great spot to watch the boys ride their bikes, or play basketball. It is a great place to sit down, and read a book behind the shelter of the tree. In the evenings, it has been a quiet place to sit and just watch the neighbor's taking a walk by, or even enjoy the birds chirping, and the frogs croaking...
It wasn't always that way~
For the last several years, I had a beautiful little iron table.
With the most uncomfortable chairs.
Not such a cozy or comfy place to sit.
So I raided my parents basement. (!)
I located the old chairs that sat on my front porch at our previous home seven years before.
(Thank GOD my mom is a keeper of things! I knew she would still have them for me!)
I still need to stain and sand them, but for now-they work.
I needed a side table, though, and my mom's basement wasn't hiding any more 'completed' treasures...But she was storing a few gardening pots of mine...
So~

After looking for inspiration, I found it on a blog, and got started.
(If this was your idea, thank you-I just can't remember where I found this idea!)

I spray painted two matching garden pots a glossy black.
I hot glued them together-bottom to bottom.
I bought a decorator table at Walmart (and threw out the legs-).


I painted that round piece of wood-top glossy black as well.
(Hot glued it to the garden pot-)
and added my favorite things:
Vinyl words.
{You can never have enough of those!}

...And then I added my Ipod!



Voila! Done~
post signature
(...Who has been enjoying sitting on the front porch again, watching the world go by~Next up: Staining those chairs...wish me luck!)

13 comments:

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

I wish I had a front porch! Yours looks so comfy. The table looks awesome. Good luck on those chairs! Can't wait to see them finished!

Leah said...

The table looks great and I am sure the chairs will too when your done with them.

Lindsay-ann said...

Those chairs do look so comfy. I love how you made the table. Your porch looks such a great place to relax. Hope you can spend more time there now you have some comfort.
I need your help. Pleeeeeease. Maybe I am having a moment of madness but I feel like painting my kitchen cabinet doors. Is spray paint the best thing to use? At the moment they are limed oak but I am fancing cream.
Lindsay
x

Michelle said...

I love our front porch. You need to invest in a Cricut Expression die cutting machine you can cut vinyl with it and make all sorts of shape and designs, HSN had them for $299 with 5 cartridges and sometimes Hobby Lobby put them on sale, I love mine!!!

Take Care!!!

Annette said...

I have always wanted a BIG front porch but I dont have one :( I love the red cushions! The table is amazing! Ive been wanting to make a bird bath similar to that... using the flower pots the same way and adding the tray to one of the pots on top to hold the water!

Unknown said...

So much fun! Love it. We don't have a front porch : ( I am thankful that we sometimes sit in our driveways and watch the kids play. I love our neighborhood!

You are very good at making things!

trish said...

I love what you did with your table! Very cute! :o) You will do great with the chairs!! :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia

Annikke said...

I love it! Love the red too! ;-)

jules said...

Our front porch is our favorite space in the summer too. It is still way too cold here in Wisconsin to sit out there yet. I can't wait!

Mommy Mac said...

Looks great, Ruby!

I do love the red charis on the front porch!


You are too crafty!

.mac :)

Dawn said...

no you did not?! garden pots? you are amazing. and one of these days i am trying these letters!

Diana Ferguson said...

I need me one of these!!

Jamielyn said...

This is super cute! I love it! I'd love for you to link up at sundae scoop. http://iheartnaptime.blogspot.com/2010/05/sundae-scoop-favs-link-party-and.html