Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Waiting~

{John 21}
John 21: 1-3
(The New International Version)

Jesus and the Miraculous Catch of Fish

1Afterward Jesus appeared again to his disciples, by the Sea of Tiberias.
It happened this way: 2Simon Peter, Thomas (called Didymus), Nathanael from Cana in Galilee, the sons of Zebedee, and two other disciples were together. 3"I'm going out to fish," Simon Peter told them, and they said, "We'll go with you." So they went out and got into the boat, but that night they caught nothing.

The disciples found themselves waiting all night to catch fish.
(cricket, cricket-)
But nothing.
Nothing all night long.

Waiting~
I have found myself in (another)  waiting period right now.
I know, all of life really is about waiting:
Waiting for a medical test result-
Waiting for my kids to put their shoes on-
Waiting -
Waiting on to see if a pregnancy test is positive or not-
Waiting for paint to dry (literally!)-
Call-Waiting.
Waiting...

John 21: 4-6
4Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus.

5He called out to them, "Friends, haven't you any fish?"
"No," they answered.
6He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some." When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.


Right now, my waiting involves which path to take in the Fall:
Do I pursue heading back towards a teaching job?
Is it the right moment for me to head back to a classroom?
~Or~
Do I accept a volunteer position as a Bible Study leader?
Waiting.

Still waiting...

John 21: 7, 8
7Then the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, "It is the Lord!" As soon as Simon Peter heard him say, "It is the Lord," he wrapped his outer garment around him (for he had taken it off) and jumped into the water. 8The other disciples followed in the boat, towing the net full of fish, for they were not far from shore, about a hundred yards.

Here is my take on waiting:
Since all of life is about waiting on one thing or another-
Why not just
Wait on the Lord?

He knows the best path for me-
whether it is teaching (full or part time) or helping lead Bible study.
It takes my stress away when I can just watch  -with patience, without worry- as God brings the plans he has for me as He so chooses.
And take a look at the last verse:

John 21:9
 9When they landed, they saw a fire of burning coals there with fish on it, and some bread.
(Bold font, and italics above are mine-)

Jesus told the disciples to cast their nets to the other side of the boat after a long night of fishing. They caught so many, the nets were riping!  
But what did he already have waiting for them?
Fish.
He didn't even need their fish!
He already had the fire prepared with fish cooking~
It was just a lesson on waiting on the Lord.
Love that~
Because that is what my life is like:
I can make all the plans I want, but ultimately, He has a lesson for me to learn in the waiting.

Isaiah 64:4
(New International Version)
 Since ancient times no one has heard,
no ear has perceived,
no eye has seen any God besides you,
who acts on behalf of those who wait for him.


So I wait.
And I am fine with that~

What about you?
What are you waiting on the Lord for?

post signature
(Next week is our last Bible Study post! See you on Tuesday for Bible Study!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thought provoking and so dead on. Thank you for this.
I would love to be in a bible study with you!

Annette said...

Iknow exactally what you mean! Im in the same boat ... waiting and wondering what I should do in the fall. I have a plan to enjoy the summer (still working/keeping kids) but waiting to see if there is a job for me in the fall.

Work in progress said...

I always love your Bible Study posts! They are always so deep and insightful. (C. and I want to join one in our area.)

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

The other day I was just thinking about how cool it was that Jesus already had the fish ready--He was waiting on them!
I'm waiting on the Lord to fulfill some of the promises He's has for me....I see places where He has already begun to fulfill them and I know He won't stop until He has completed the work He has started!

Lindsay-ann said...

I just read your post from yesterday about your stressful day teaching. I am glad that your day ended well. The party was just whay you needed and your lovely family gave it to you.
As for your post today and your question. We are waiting for some guidance too in relation to my husband's job. He is not very happy at work and I am really worried about him. I pray that you receive your guidance too when the time is right.
Lindsay
x