Monday, May 17, 2010

(Thank God!) Dinner's Ready...Oh. My. Word.


Oh. My. Word.
I had the most insane day as a substitute teacher last week.
Insane.
I made four kids cry...
Like when I said, "Sorry, your friend is right, you aren't allowed to eat a Carmel apple sucker for snack time-Please put it away-"
{It IS May, and we all know the rules by now-but I am the meany who had to enforce that rule...}
That was the first episode -of several- how  I had to deal with crocodile tears with the accompanying soundtrack...
Two kids cried because they couldn't find their homework.
{Can't fault that- but they both ended up finding the homework, so the tears were for naught-}
The last cry episode was because one student wanted to work alone and not with a partner.
He cried, his partner cried-and I was trying to figure out how to bring peace while also making sure the class stayed on task...because it was almost lunchtime.
{That makes the cry count FIVE! Oh -My -Word-}
I put two kids on "Yellow" light-including one of my dear friend's kid-after several warnings...
{I had my cell phone with me, and I swear, I nearly called her!}
After lunch,
(yes, this all occurred BEFORE NOON-)
I had a different class:
They had to write apology letters to the substitute from the day before-
{!!!}
I almost put my OWN son on "yellow" light because he was throwing a pencil to a friend at another table!
Oh. MY. WORD.
This second class was just chatty, but overall, the afternoon went kind-of smooth.
There were the (normal) moments that I had to figure out:
whose pencil sharpener it Really was-
whose garbage was on the floor even though everyone at the table said it didn't belong to any of them-
whose turn it was to be line leader-
who really had to go to the bathroom right after bathroom break, and who was trying to trick me-
You know,
the usual.

So by the time I got home,
I didn't want to think.
I didn't want to solve any issues at home like:
was all the homework complete and ready for the next day-
what was for dinner-
who the hockey card really belonged to-
who needed a bath, even though they insisted the bath from three days ago was still good-

I just wanted to sit on the couch, curled up with my four year old and a cozy blanket, and listen to silence.
Sweet, sweet, silence.

Instead,
I figured it was bath time (since it was raining, and homework was done-)
and prodded my two youngest into the waiting tub with bubbles, while I grabbed a book to read while sitting with them on their bathroom floor.
{Oh. My. Word-The Kite Runner: So hard -subject matter hard, I mean- to read! But so fantastically written! Go HERE to read my review of the Kite Runner-}

I heard my dear, dear Tin Man downstairs clanging around the kitchen.
He had arrived home from grocery shopping after work-
and spicy smells and crackling noises were starting to float up the stairs.
I heard him and my oldest son emptying the dishwasher, and putting things away.

Then I heard the music flip on-
Big Band  coming from the surround sound.
Happy Music.
Music that made me smile and want to dance.
{-and I don't dance. Bad visual-}

As I got the two little boys out of the tub, dressed them, and headed downstairs-
This is what greeted me:

A table set,
Thai Turkey Cakes  (Recipe listed below-) ready to eat,
and a lovely romaine Caesar Salad, sprinkled with fresh Parmesan, and my favorite croutons-
And the Big Band Music playing happily-not too loud, not too soft.
Just perfectly.

My middle son said:
"I will go find the party hats!"
"This feels like a party!"

And it was:
A party-
A wonderful meal, a happy family, good music-
a perfect ending to a stressful day.

I asked my husband, as the boys cleared the table after we all ate our fill-
"How did you know I needed this today?"
He replied,
"I saw you had called me six times on your lunch break."
"I couldn't answer because I was in a meeting, but I knew if you were calling, it meant your day wasn't going like it usually does. When you sub, you are so happy to be there, I don't hear a word from you all day."

Oh. My. Word.
{So true!}
I want to remember this night forever!
It was too wonderful-

And so my Oldest Son, said,
"Here's your camera-Take a picture, and blog about it-"
So I did:


post signature
(...Who has stressful days now, and again-but felt her stress melt away with Big Band Music, Thai Turkey Cakes, a favorite salad, and my wonderful, crazy family!)

Thai Turkey Cakes:
{A Family Favorite, Re-Posted-}
(Serves 4):


1 package of lean ground turkey
1 tablespoon of ginger
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 egg
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup chopped white, sweet onions
3/4 cup bread crumbs (I use Italian, but you can use plain as well)
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
1 teaspoon of lemon juice

*optional* 1 green chile chopped extra fine. (Only if you like heat...my kids don't, but Tin Man does, so he sneaks this in on me when I am not looking!)
Mix the ingredients in a bowl. (It is like you are making a meatloaf), pat out into patties, and fry up in a pan of 1-2 tablespoons of cooking oil.
Place patty on top of  a romaine leaf, and drizzle soy sauce over top.

20 comments:

April said...

You simply can't beat being rescued by your family whenever you feel like you're drowning! Oh, I've had plenty days just like that myself! My hubbby and girls seem to always know how to make things "all better"...just like your own hubby and kids. Sorry for your crummy day, but so happy that everything worked out perfectly in the end!

Anonymous said...

That tin man... you can't help but love him!

I am sorry your day at school was so stressful. I can't take crying kids! It just makes me want to cry too.

Mommy Mac said...

Sweet sister...

Did this make you NEVER want to go back to public school teaching or what?!

I loved my profession...you know the one I have a stinkin' masters degree and paid all that money for....AND DON'T USE at all for family income!!!!

BUT, these reports are ones that remind me I am exactly where I want to be!

Oh, those last days of school...KILLER!

Glad you survivived and let me just say...music and party hats are the perfect way to turn your day around!

Thanks for the mornin' smile!

It's extra big right now becuase my 2 kiddos are STILL asleep!! What did I do to deserve this treat on a Monday morning!?!!!??

I will take it!

.mac :)

p.s. Soooooo....when are those Chicago trip dates again? :)

Leah said...

Aww, what a great ending to a stressful day. It is so sweet of Tin Man to pick up on how you are feeling and try to make the rest of your day better.

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

AWESOME! Tin Man--your knight in shiny armor! What a wonderful blessing.

Dawn said...

your day of subbing brings it all right back... even though it seems it was a millions years ago for me! wow... what a day. and wow... what a husband. not only did he realize what kind of day you had... he acted on it! summer is coming!

(i need to email you about NEXT thusday :) yippee!!)

Girly Stuff said...

Awesome!

I think rotten days make the little things even sweeter.

Shell in your Pocket said...

You know me..I don't read much but I saw the Kite Runner movie and I was disturbed for weeks and couldn't get it out of my head...

Your subbing day made me chuckle...I am glad you didn't call your friend by cell in the classroom;)

sandy toe

Sandra said...

I will be adding those to my repertoire!!!

Such a great post!!!

Unknown said...

Oh, those Thai Turkey Cakes sound awesome! I'm glad your bad day turned into a party - those are the best! Can't enjoy the peak if you don't go through the valley first.

Shannon said...

What a sweet ending to a not-so-great kind of day! Isn't family GREAT for knowing just what to do?! And, what a yummy dinner. :)

Southern Fried Gal said...

Awwww - this post gave me chills reading it. Glad the day ended in such a special way! And thanks for the recipe.

Work in progress said...

Family...what a great balm! And kudos to Tin Man for reading the road signs that you weren't having a great day and making it one!

RaD said...

LOL! Sounds like typical things you go through when dealing with other people's kids! This time of year is always horrible. The kids gets so chatty, hyper and winey! I know how you feel, I work at a school too!

Annikke said...

Sorry to hear your day wasn't a good one... but you have the sweetest family! THAT has to make all the bad just go away!

LuLu said...

First you have the sweetest family!!!! Awwwww melt your heart kind of awwww!!! And now you just reminded me to make sure my teacher gifts at the end of the year are really really really GOOD!!!! Cause oh how they deserve something fabulous for all they do!!!
almost calling your friend had me laughing!!!!
xo,
LuLu

Angie said...

Girl, I am a former teacher and have subbed also so I know exactly what you mean!!!!!

Beth Zimmerman said...

That was a beautiful post! I loved the whole thing! :) Found you through TST and clicked follow when I saw the first Oh.My.Word. ... Grabbed your button at the second one ... cause who doesn't love someone who says it EXACTLY like that!

Oh. My. Word.

Love it!

Beth
http://www.bethszimmerman.com

P.S. Your music is awesome!

Rachel said...

I laughed through this whole post! I'm sorry... but the FIVE KIDS even made me laugh! Gosh I wish I could write like you!

I *love* the fact that dinner became a party (I want to be invited to one of your dinner parties!) and I am just sitting here being grateful that you did not post pictures of the actual food. Because it's 7:04pm and I haven't eaten... ha ha :)

Thanks so much for linking up - I needed these laughs!

Kelly said...

What an awesome man to do all that for you - and great kids to!

Hope today is better!