Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Come On In! Visiting the Moon...

Do you have a minute to visit the moon with us? I love decorating our house and cottage, but what I really love is decorating kid spaces. (Remember the movie/game room?) I thought you would like a tour of the boys playroom. It started out as a blank canvas with white walls and mirrors and housed the workout equipment. (That didn't last long!)



This back wall is a darker shade of blue than the other three walls, and I added granite chips to the paint so the wall sparkles. Then a dear friend helped me paint the planets. The boys footprints are on the moon!


The opposite wall has a rocket, stars, and the moon. (Can you see the giant Lego blocks lining the wall? They are foam and made in Michigan. I have looked everywhere for the website, and can't find it! I am sorry, I would love to pass it on because those blocks are the hit at this house!)


This is the ceiling which we had sprayed out blue as well. I hung the planets from the ceiling, painted stars on the duct work, and hung our Superman. (The movie room is next to this, with the superhero theme-so Superman ties both rooms together, in my eyes.)


But here is our favorite part about this room: All the planets, the rocket, and the stars glow in the dark! (Tin Man's contribution was sprinkling the glow-in-the-dark paint all over the floor-like stars-so THAT glows too!)

Our Christmas Tradition: We have a tradition going on three years now. In December, the boys pitch their tents, and "camp under the stars" every night. We call it the month of "Visiting the Moon"...(and I have a month to clean their bedrooms!)


post signature(3...2...1...BLAST OFF!)

25 comments:

Julie said...

I love the fact they sleep in there! How fun. Love your pics...I wish our boys had a playroom and I could paint away in there! How fun *dreaming*

Michelle said...

What a great room! My boys would love to camp out in the house, they always come inside if they try to sleep outside. The paint colors are fantastic, very boyish. ~Michelle

April said...

I am telling you right now...you need to go into the decorating business...you could make a killing!

That room is amazing and every boy's dream come true! It's all about fun and adventure and I love that because their imaginations can run wild! Two thumbs up, girl!!!

Mrs. S. said...

What a wonderful room! You are amazing!

trish said...

I love it!! What a fun place to be!! I can just imagine their sweet little conversations after the lights are turned off! :o) Great memories being created in there!! :o)

Anonymous said...

I cannot possibly show my boys any of these photos; they will be applying for their passports and headed O.S. in a flash if I did!!! And then they'd be a-knockin' on your door, quite happily prepared to share a tent under the moon... I would, ofcourse, so miss them... so I'd have to come too - can you fit me in the rafters?!!!;) You, girl, are amazing at putting a room together down to the finest, funnest(!!) detail. This is a wonderful, wonderful playspace for boys...

And thank you SOOOOOOO much for blessing me with such a fantastic Christmas gift! I am wrapped!!!:) I have commented in the announcement post, but I needed to say it again - THANK YOU, from the bottom of my fuzzy heart... I'm off to email you. Blessings... N x

Leah said...

What an awesome playroom!
I will not show my little one these pics because his poor playroom in plain white walls.
So when does the decorating business open?

Shell in your Pocket said...

Wow..what a great place!! They glow in the dark..a boys dream come true!!!
Sleeping in a tent for a month..wow...my son would love you!!!

Love your new ruby red shoes...so cute!
-sandy toes

2 Little Irish Boys said...

I love it! I love your tradition too! How sweet that they have this wonderful time together!

Kristin said...

Love it. I am decorating the boys playroom soon. I will have to bounce my ideas off you.

Annikke said...

Once again I gotta say YOU ROCK!!!

Maggie said...

That is the coolest thing ever!! You guys did a great job on that room!! WOW!!

HeatherPride said...

I love it!! I painted a Madagascar theme on my son's wall a couple of years ago - it takes up the whole wall. Then when Madagascar 2 came out it became current again! Yay! I did a fairy mural in the baby's room. I love your intergalactic room!!!

Shell in your Pocket said...

Please post about your snow cream the Laura Ingalls "style"..never heard of it!!!
-sandy toes

Ms. Tee said...

You are so talented with the kids' rooms! My son would've loved that when he was that age. And their footprints on the moon - oh so sweet! :)

Lindsay-ann said...

I really enjoyed visiting the Space Room. You are so talented in decorating kids spaces. You should start your own business. That room is amazing. I would love to camp under those stars myself!
Thanks for showing it.
Lindsay

Anonymous said...

Morning! I sent off my address via your email last night, so hopefully it has arrived. Have had no-end of trouble with emails arriving at their various destinations around the world, though, so let me know... N

Mother Hood said...

That's one cool room. I painted a rainforest mural in our son's old play room. Complete with tree frogs and hummingbirds. Then we moved. Kinda sad.

Sweet Simplicity said...

What a fun mom! I would have loved to "camp" out for a whole month!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

That is such a great tradition! I love that the boys sleep in the space room! I would want to sleep in there too!
Carrie

Anonymous said...

Wow - what a terrific room, full of terrific memories, I'm sure!

Girly Stuff said...

That's a great tradition!

When the hurricane hit, our boys slept in their tents in our room since it had the window unit. It was a mess, but they had a blast. Maybe I'll institute a little tent time for December!

I love the room. You are very creative!

michele said...

Your month of "visiting the moon" is a fun idea!! I wish you could help me decorate my playroom!

The Berry's Patch said...

What a fun room! It would probably take me month also to clean out the boys room. What a great idea!

Rae said...

What an amazing playroom!!!!!!! You're so talented!!