Have you ever had a friend that is more like your own flesh and blood than just a friend?
I have that friend. Today is her birthday. Her present is in the mail, and I will be calling her later to wish her a blessed day, but we are more than ten hours away from each other.
Some days-it is just too much. Like today...
I can visualize the moment I first saw her. My sister (who attended church with her) suggested we meet because she imagined us as friends. We met at the library. I just looked at her, knew she was the one my sister had talked so highly about. I was able to pick her out of the crowd...I think it was her smile that radiated up into her friendly eyes. (She just looked like the nicest person!)...
Without trying hard, we just "got" each other. We became the closest of girlfriends, and our little boys became the fastest of friends. When my second son was born, she told me she was expecting her second baby. Selfishly, I prayed it was another boy for her too! (It was! How great! Two sets of best friends...It could not have been more perfect.) Our kids attended preschool together, and playgroups together, and our oldest boys attended kindergarten together as well. Several nights, their whole family spent the night at our house and we had sleep-overs. When I had my third little boy, she was the one who put her life on hold for a few days. She stayed at my house, and watched my older two sons.
My dear friend and her boys spent a week every summer with us at our cottage. Our boys were wild hooligans together,playing in the sand and water, climbing trees, hunting in the forest for frogs- They loved each other as dearly as we did. My friend and I would watch movies, eat popcorn, and have a glass or two of wine together. And we would laugh. Sometimes we laughed so hard-we cried!
We also had a spiritual connection. We attended different churches, even different denominations-but it was never an issue. We discussed verses that meant something to us, or prayed together over our kids, husbands, and life situations. We traded devotionals, and uplifting songs. We just were encouragement to each other on a daily basis for seven years...
Then her husband took a job transfer ten hours away...She told me at the kid's school, and we both broke down and cried. That day ranks as one of my worst. Then I had to tell my boys. They took it just as hard. Tin Man tried to cheer me up by singing, "Friends" by Michael W. Smith. (If you have a friend that is moving-DON"T listen to this song...unless you have someone who can give you a hug!)Every time he would see me in tears, he would sing it. Eventually, it did make me laugh through my tears.
Now, we talk on the phone for hours at a time. (It's never a short call unless we lose a cell phone signal!) We take the same Beth Moore Bible Studies and discuss them on the phone. She keeps tabs on my blog to see what we're all doing. Twice a year, my boys and I go visit her and her boys. (Tin Man has stayed home watching the baby, and now the dog, too.) The ten hour drive is worth every minute just to be with my friend. We catch each other up on the last six months we missed. We stay up late talking, and talking... All four boys walk in the door, and disappear together -showing each other the newest toys, and rooms. For a few days, it's like old times.
I know I've talked your ear off, (Thanks for listening to me!) but I even made a video of our time together from last fall. (I must have more free time that you think. It's funny that in all the years we've been friends, we don't have many pictures together. It is me taking one of her and her boys, or her capturing one of my boys and me!)
Here's a peek into one of our Virginia trips-with our favorite song playing. * NOTE: PLEASE PRESS PAUSE ON THE MUSIC AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE-I AM SORRY IT IS EXTRA WORK FOR YOU, BUT WHAT IF I TELL YOU IT'S WORTH IT TO HEAR/SEE THE VIDEO? (It is!!! We hiked up the Peak's of Otter!) Hope you take a minute to view it:
Happy Birthday, dear Friend.
You know how much I love you, and miss you & your boys.
I hope today is a special one for you.
"Here, There, or In the Air..."

(...Who's missing a piece of her heart. She left it in Virginia with her friend...)



21 comments:
What a sweet post and tribute to such a special friendship!
I did laugh a little about your husband singing "Friends" by Michael W. Smith b/c my husbands sings that to me and I get so mad!
Thank goodness for unlimited long distance calling!!!
Have a wonderful weekend!
-sandy toes
I am so misty after reading that precious post. My goodness! I have been blessed with that kind of friendship, that is lasting like yours despite the fact that my bestie's a good 24 hours drive away (I've yet to visit her:( ). I hear you when you say her telling you ranks as one of the worst days!!! It's heart-breaking stuff. Could you please get Tin Man to sing that song and video it and then post it ;) just for moi!!! ;) How gorgeous is he for doing that for you!!! I hope you are set for an enjoyable weekend with all your beautiful boys. Blessings, beautiful girl.
What a great post! You are lucky to have such a great friend and she is very lucky to have such a wonderful friend in you. Some day your paths will cross again, I am sure. Everything works out in the end. Have a great day!
I'm so glad that you have a friend like her, true friends are hard to find.
Such a heart-warming post...thanks for getting me all choked up!
True friends don't come along very often, so they need to be cherished and treasured, just as you've described. Count yourself very fortunate to have found someone with whom you really connect. She sounds like a wonderful person! I'm sure your friendship will continue to stand the test of time and distance.
So sweet :) You are very blessed to have such a kindred spirit in your life. It truly is a gift ;)
Wow. I do know how that is to instantly connect and remain good friends with someone. Both my BFFs moved away, too, and I also know how hard that is. Your friend and both your children are just adorable! Happy birthday!
What a wonderful tribute to friendship. I was a bit misty eyed reading it.
I do hope she has a great birthday.
I guess boys will be boys. And we have to take the gross with the sweet!
What a sweet post on your friend. She's lucky to have you too!
I LOVE Beth Moore bible studies! She gets me so excited for Jesus and drives me towards a deeper love for God!
What a beautiful tribute to your friend. Friendships like yours are truly a gift from God.
How lucky you both are! She is a good friend, and you appreciate her greatly! I wish you both the best!
Oh that is the sweetest post about your dear friend.
I know she cried when she read it because I cried!
Happy birthday to such a special person indeed!
The montage of photos was great. The music it was set to~ equally awesome!
Merry December~ Les
Oh,your boys are so sweet and so are your friend's! :)
And how sweet you are to do this lovely tribute to her. The song you picked is justperfect, too.
Hope you have a great Sunday :)
I have no such friends like that but I sure wish I did. It sounds like what you have is truly special and can withstand the distance. Maybe soon things will change. As you know from your friend moving, you never DO know what curveballs life will throw you. At least she's still here, just a bit farther away than you'd like. You two are very lucky!
Off to go call my best friend and tell her I love her.
What would we do without friends?
I would shrivel up!
Sweet post. Maybe God has big plans for you guys in the future.
Wow! It is so very special that you have a friend like that...one that gets you! How wonderful for you boys and your family that they can share in your special friendship as well. I really enjoyed reading your post about your relatioship with your friend.Thanks for sharing.
What a sweet post I have a friend like that. we met in second grade and we're just as close. And I would die if she moved away. Wish her a great day! Have a wonderful weekend!
julie
I know how much you miss and love her. She is such a special person! I should know, she brought me to you!
Yes! I can so relate to this post. There are some people that you are closer to than a sister at least that is how it feels.
It's even harder to say goodbye to these GFs b/c you realize that they are one in a million.
;)
Packing up the dreams Gods granted...He'll keep you c l o s e as always.....it won't even seem she is gone.
Love,
Aluminum wonder!
Post a Comment