Thursday, September 25, 2008

Disappearing Blueberry Muffins

This August, my family and I picked thirty (30!!!) pounds of blueberries. In the Rain. On our Anniversary... The kids had fun. Tin Man and I were soaked through, but still smiling. (Just a little bit.)

It was worth it, in the long run because now they are now frozen in little bags in our deep freezer. We've been making blueberry syrup, pancakes, and waffles. (I mean -Tin Man has...) They are also a nice topping on cereal or yogurt. (That one was my idea!)

I use my Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book for all my baking, so I pulled it out and made Bluebery Muffins-since we have PLENTY of berries. (And it's easy, baking is not like cooking dinner!) The plan was to give some to the teachers at school, but every time someone walked by the counter, one disappeared. We started out with a dozen, and how many are in the picture?! I had to take the picture before they all disappeared ...

Here's how to make Disappearing Blueberry Muffins:
  • 1 3/4 Cups all-purpose flour (I use half wheat, half white)
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 beaten egg
  • 3/4 cup milk (I use soy milk on occasion)
  • 1/4 cup cooking oil
  • 3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (I add way more!)
  • 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel (I do, but it's optional)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
In a mixing bowl,combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and a pinch of salt. Combine egg, milk, and oil in a seperate bowl. Add all at once to the dry ingredients. Add blueberries and optional lemon peel. Stir just until moistened (lumpy batter is good!) Lightly grease muffin tins, and fill 1/2 to 2/3 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until golden. Serve warm, makes 10-12 muffins. Enjoy!
~Ruby Red Slippers

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guess What!? You have been tagged. Come on over and find out what it's all about.

:-)

Anonymous said...

This is too funny! I just read that Shell in Your pocket picked you too! Somehow I missed that.

Edwina at The Picket Fence said...

Thanks for the recipe, my family loves Blueberry muffins. Have a good morning and day!!
Edwina

April said...

My family loves blueberry muffins! I will definitely give this one a try, too! Sound so yummy!!

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer said...

I am going to make these this weekend! I still have the bag of blueberries you gave me this summer, and I've been thinking about how to use them!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Oh my.I had a post way back in Julyish about our singing in the rain blueberry post. Wasn't it fun?