Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My Itchy Baby...





The first time we called the emergency after-hours phone number of our pediatrician, our littlest cub was only one month old. He had a severe physical reaction to a baby care bath product. We figured out (with the doctor's help,) he might have a milk allergy. So, we avoided milk products. As soon as he could scratch, his skin-his legs, arms, hands, face, and neck were always itched raw, many times to the point of bleeding...

Two years had passed, and somehow we began navigating the world of allergies and eczema. On his second birthday (this past May), with all the birthday confusion and hoopla, he drank a friend's sippy of milk. We only figured it out as he was choking and gagging. I think my heart stopped. For a moment, I could not even think. Then I rushed to get his children's antihistamine, and administered it; he was fine...

After allergy testing (which showed allergies to eggs, milk, nuts, and our cat!!!!), medications, holistic approaches, many prayers, and gallons of creams, still his skin is a mess. He can now take off his pajamas and continues to scratch...

At first, I was irritated that his pajamas were off. Now he just looks at me as he cries, and says, "I know, mama." How can you be mad at that? I just feel sad for him every day...

I feel sad for him because right now, this defines his world.He is always in zippered pajamas to keep his cream on and his hands away from itching. I cried at the drug store as the pharmacist showed me how to administer an epi-pen...

But this is not him. He is sweet like sugar, as talkative as a loud bird, and so funny. He loves to just lay on the floor with a train, tractor, or truck, playing so quietly. He also likes to wear things on his head-especially his sand bucket with Nana and Papa. That's who he really is, and this itchy skin phase will pass in time...

"Yet I still belong to YOU; YOU are holding my right hand. YOU will keep guiding me with your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny...GOD remains the strength of my heart; HE is mine forever." Psalm 73:23-24, 26b

Ruby Red Slippers

3 comments:

trish said...

As soon as I read this, I stopped and prayed. There is something so tough about watching our babies experience something that we have such little control over. When our daughter was diagnosed with diabetes (she was 4) we could not get her glucose levels balanced and it seemed she was at our mercy as we learned. It was tough. Just as your scripture says, it will be God that you can trust and lean into.
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Sweet Simplicity said...

I hope you all can get some answers soon! How frustrating to watch your baby suffer. He is the most precious thing ever--so CUTE!

Anonymous said...

Hi. My son does not ahve eczema, but does have a very rare skin disorder called ichthyosis. You can learn more about it on my blog: http://sandersmemoirs.blogspot.com/. If you ever need any advice, I do not know if I can help, but i can contact my dermatoloisgt whom is absolutely wonderful. He is the main reason my son is doing so well with his skin disorder. His skin literally does shed. I can't image the itching. Email me if you ever need to talk to someone who understands: sanders.clan@yahoo.com