The cottage is "short" on space and I am always looking for ways to "maximize" what little space I have. I was reading Emilie's blog a while back and she made a shelf in her bathroom that I adored.I completely fell in love with her little shelf!
Then it dawned on me-I had the very same shabby-inspired brackets stuffed away in my laundry room closet!!! I decided to copy her immediately. Or , as soon as I arrived at the cottage this summer.
I love it when a plan comes together-and Tin Man LOVES whatever I do if it doesn't involve spending any money. (Actually-I really do to0.)
I had bought these two sets of brackets several years ago-and set them aside when I couldn't figure what to make the shelves out of. Glass? Wood? I couldn't picture it. So I forgot about them.
Emilie used 'reclaimed' wood that gave hers the vintage/cottage look I was hoping to do myself...and did after I saw how she did hers. (But hers is most definitely cuter, I should add~). I went in our shed, picked out some old pieces of wood leftover from some project of Tin Man's, and handed him the hand saw and begged him to cut up the wood for me. (I didn't really have to beg-I was just adding that for effect-He was very willing to do what I suggested if it would move my stuff off the side of the sink...)
Merci to Emilie-you motivated me to use what I have!!!
So, take a look: (!!)
I was so excited about making up some new shelving, that I grabbed my other, bigger brackets and again had Tin Man cut up some more old wood for me and make a bigger shelf to hang over our bed:

I know, this one is empty. I don't know what to put on it.
Books?
I can always use more space for books-but not so "cute".
Pictures?
That is a possibility~
Candles?
I am thinking big, white pillar ones-
Any suggestions?
(Think-above the bed, or "cute"...this shelf is not necessarily for "functionality".)

(~who is normally referred to as~)
Books?
I can always use more space for books-but not so "cute".
Pictures?
That is a possibility~
Candles?
I am thinking big, white pillar ones-
Any suggestions?
(Think-above the bed, or "cute"...this shelf is not necessarily for "functionality".)

(~who is normally referred to as~)

(Just a random thought-I love spell check on Blogger! I needed to use it today!)



10 comments:
Very nice!! I vote for candles. I love candles! These shelves really are adorable! I love simple, cheap projects!! Thanks for sharing.
Mrs. Nurse Boy
Your shelves both look great. They are perfect for your cottage. I was thinking maybe you could put white storage baskets or those pretty round hat boxes. Maybe with your glue gun you could cover some plain boxes with gorgeous fabric. I know whatever you put there will look great. Please show us what you decide.
Lindsay
x
That looks great!!! I love the old white wash wood...perfect.
sandy toe
p.s. Yes, my mom loves the "Reed" reataurant...great chicken salad!
How exciting that you were able to get what you wanted done. Nice shelves. BTW, I read Something Borrowed and LOVED it and now I must get Something Blue.
Love it. You are so crafty.
BTW does the cottage have white carpets?
I am lovin' those shelves! Super job you did! I, too, think candles would be perfect.
I love the shelves! Very cute. I just wish I had the time to do all the fab things you do!!
Oh, maybe find some old vintage looking bottles in various colors to put on that shelf--I got some in clear and blue at HL!!
That is super cute! You could do a glass jar with the candle inside with some sand and shells in the bottom of it. I love decorating the glass containers!
Wow! Props to Em and you! Looks good. I like the books idea you had for the empty shelf. How about adding some jars of stuff (twigs, rocks, sand) that the boys collect from outside to accent.
I really like your shelves! Especially with that white wood. :o) Candles sound nice, and something dear that brings good memories to mind. :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne
Post a Comment