Monday, August 31, 2009

Dinner Is Ready! Fruit Filled Egg White Crepes

I was inspired by another blog into making crepes. (Or at least attempting them-) Jen had made Julia Child's crepes, and her pictures were mouth-watering. So, I googled "Easy Crepe Recipes" and eventually, I found the following one for me.

It WAS easy! Even a bit on the healthy side: low-fat, low-cholesterol, whole grains, and even filled with anti-oxidant berries. We used raspberries from our cottage, but you can use any yummy berries you can find. And to make it even tastier (and balanced out the "healthiness" of the recipe-)we drizzled chocolate on top....Yummm...

This was a hit at a dinner party we hosted this past Saturday. (I had mixed it up ahead, kept it in the fridge, and whipped it up after we finished dinner. These crepes cook very fast, so keep your eyes on them. Go ahead! Try this for dessert...or even breakfast (which my two older boys loved on Sunday morning!):


Fruit Filled Egg White Crepes

INGREDIENTS:
1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
6 egg whites
1-1/2 cups skim milk
3 pinches salt
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1-1/2 cups mixed frozen or fresh berries, (thawed) and drained. *Add a few tablespoons of sugar to the berries so they aren't too tart.
3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar for dusting

DIRECTIONS:

Whisk together the wheat flour, egg whites, milk, salt, and oil in a large bowl until smooth.
Lightly coat a skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Pour 1/4 cup of the batter into the skillet. Tilt the pan in a circular motion to allow the batter to spread to the edges. Cook until the bottom is light brown, about 2 minutes. Flip the crepe and place 2 tablespoons of the berries in the center of the crepe; cook another 2 minutes. Fold the crepe in half and remove with a spatula to a serving plate. (Extra idea:) I drizzled melted chocolate over the crepe, and then dust with confectioners' sugar and serve.

post signature

(Don't lick your computer screen! Just get up, and go make some!)

17 comments:

Shell in your Pocket said...

It looks hard...I have never done crepes...they scare me ;)!

sandy toe

Ruby Red Slippers said...

(If I can do it, ANyONE can-VERY,VERY easy...)
Ruby Red Slippers

Kristin said...

I am a bit intimidated by crepes. I think I will try them but if I mess them all up please believe that there will be a post with the disaster linking back to you. LOL!

Dawn said...

it does look delicious- but i agree... it scares me to try! but just maybe... i will- because they look so pretty! (but really? i LOVE your plate!)

April said...

Promise they're super easy? I'm very intimated...

Mommy Mac said...

I like the fluffiness of crepes, but what they rally make me want is pancakes drizzled in butter and syrup.

And that can't be good.

I am such a sucker for a good butter-syrup overdose.

.mac :)

Lindsay-ann said...

They look delicious and I am sure I can manage them. That's manage making them and manage eating them too!
Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will keep a note of it and give it a go sometime.
Lindsay
x

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

i am with sandy - they scare me too.

Annikke said...

I already licked my computer screen.... whoops,
Ok...off to buy the stuff to make my own!

Mother Hood said...

If the eggs weren't deadly to Baby Lion, I'd try this for sure!!!

Girly Stuff said...

You're so good!

They were all over the Paris hotel in Vegas this summer. There was even a To-Go window for them.

an encourager said...

I love Julia Child, but the time it takes to create her recipes makes me wanna break up with her! So, I am thankful you found an EASY alternative! Thanks!

2 Little Irish Boys said...

Sounds super yummy!
I love your new picture--looks like summer did you well!!

Angie said...

It was difficult, but I restrained myself from licking that picture. If you say it's easy, maybe I'll try it.

Julie said...

we eat those all the time here in Hungary... they are called palacsinta's. Yum yum. We fill them with sweet things and savory. I personally like them filled with nutella and banana's. YUM

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! They are SO pretty! I would like to eat those for dinner. And breakfast and lunch too!

Rachel said...

Oh my... my stomach is growling already. Crepes are one of my all-time favorites! I'll admit that I've taken the easy way out and bought the crepe mix and slapped it onto an honest-to-goodness crepe pan. Makes the hard part choosing your fillings!

Thanks for the easy recipe!