
I am not much into fishing, but my boys are.
All FOUR.
All FOUR.

One night, we met a father and son at the local river as they were fishing.
"They" being everyone BUT me. I was there just to make sure Happy Boy didn't fall in the water, and that he didn't throw the fishing pole in along with himself~
Tin Man and this father decided to meet and take our two oldest boys out fishing with them on their boat the following morning.
Me and Happy Boy would be sleeping in~
So, they all had fun. A few fish were caught.
And then~then there was a problem.
As the man's son helped Dancing Boy reel in a huge Pike-it was discussed how great it was.
How huge it was.
How wonderful it would taste.
The best way to 'debone' and 'filet' it...
Uhhh, WHAT? Huh??
Dancing Boy and Nature Boy were excited to see this fish swimming in a bucket.
They were petting it, and talking to their "pet" fish, the Pike.
You see~Dancing Boy and Nature Boy have always done the "Catch and Release" thing with fish.
That is-They love to catch them, but then they love to watch them swim away.
Not eat them.
Ever.
My boys said they never said anything outloud, but inside~
Inside, they were screaming:
"Don't eat our fish! NOT OUR FISH!!!"
Then they came home and told me how much fun they had.
Waking up at six in the morning was worth it.
Well, except that Mick and Danny were eating their pet PIKE right about now.
For lunch.
Oh Boy...Do I dare tell them that the Salmon they eat starts out just like their fishing trip?
Not yet.
I'll wait until after lunch...

(Who is really~)





10 comments:
I would have a hard time with that too. I eat meat and fish but I guess I just like to see it on my plate and now how it gets there. I'm glad they had fun fishing.
I am with them! That is so sweet!
It sounds like you all haven't started school yet and I am so jealous! I wish summer wasn't coming to a screeching hault, but I do love fall!
Mrs. Nurse Boy
My boys are animal lovers also. Thankfully they haven't put it together yet that tonights chicken dinner was once an actual...chicken. Not looking forward to that day at all.
That story made me think of my girls this summer when we went to Florida. Chris caught some sort of fish in the ocean and commented that it would be good to eat for dinner. They took one look at it, gave him their "puppy dog eyes"...and convinced him to throw it back into the water. They couldn't bare the thought of it ending up on our dinner plates!
Awww - glad they had fun fishing. What a concept to teach. I remember growing up one of my friends having a pet pig and what it did to her when she found out why he was missing. I stopped visiting the cows, pigs, and other animals on my grandparents farm after that...
Cute story! I love to eat fish yet I don't want to be around when my husband catches the fish. Ya know?
Oy - I dread the day my kiddo learns where his fishies come from... let's just keep it a secret, you and I :)
I love that your boys love to fish. My dad was a big fly fisherman and I always wished that my kids would love to fish too.
I love that they love their fish and don't want to eat it. That is so sweet!
XOXO
Jen
i can't imagine that you would ever really break their hearts like that... before or after lunch :)
my son had a great time fishing up in MI this summer... he is a catch & release kind of kid, too!
Poor guys...
I feel them!
Kenny caught Mahi-Mahi on our vacation; we ate it.
It was delish.
My tune is a changin' on the catch and release concept now!
Perhaps theirs will too.
RIP, Pike.
.mac :)
Post a Comment