In about an hour.
In 90 degree humid heat.
The hottest day of the year in Michigan~
(I know, poor baby!)
Come on! Faster! Faster!!
We don't care if you are hot-keep going!!
We are making Blueberry Jam.
For who ever will eat it.
You think I am kidding-but I may be passing it out as Christmas Gifts this year!
(This is monumental~I have zero desire to do this, but Tin Man has been dying to make jam.) {What is wrong with him??!!}
I grew up helping my mom can or watching her can.
I swore I would NEVER can, or make homemade jam.
Never, ever.
(But, I do love to eat it on an English muffin~)
And here I marry the one man in America- possibly the world- who wants to make jam!
Now do you see why this could be our Christmas gifts to our friends and family?
I am telling you this is monumental-they better take it while they can.
If it turns out-I am NEVER, EVER DOING THIS AGAIN.
(Do you hear me, Mr. Tin Man??!)
Never!!!
However~ Here is the recipe we are using to make our Blueberry Jam On It:
(Wish me luck...And print this one out-it's a long one...)
Ingredients: (Yield: About six cups of Jam)
(Remember to borrow canner from Mom~)
4 cups of Blueberries-Start with 3 quarts of berries, and then discard stems, and crush berries to make four cups.
4 cups of sugar.
1 box of Sure-Jell Fruit Pectin
(I still can't believe I am canning...)
Directions:
(Thank you, Mom for the directions! You never thought you would see the day, huh?)
1. Bring boiling -water canner, half full with water to simmer.
2. Wash jars and screw bands in hot, soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain well before filling.
3. Prepare fruit: Discard stems, and crush berries to texture you like.
4. Measure EXACT amount of blueberries into 6 or 8 quart sauce pot. (Four cups)
5. Measure EXACT amount of sugar into a separate bowl.
6. Stir in 1 box of pectin into fruit in sauce pot. (Add 1/2 teaspoon of butter to reduce foaming, if desired-Which I will skip due to my son with a dairy allergy-)
7. Bring mixture to a full, rolling boil. and boil EXACTLY one minute, stirring constantly.
(That sounds stressful! Everything is "EXACT"!)
8. Stir in sugar quickly. Return to a full rolling boil for exactly (again!) for one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, Skim off any foam.
9. Ladle quickly into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops.Wipe jar rims, and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches; add boiling water if needed. Cover. Bring to a gentle boil. Process the jam for 10 minutes. Remove jars and place upright on a towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middle of lid with finger. (If lid springs up-lid is not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.)
10. Let jams stand at room temperature 24 hours. Store unopened jams in a cool, dry place up to 1 year. Refrigerate opened jams for up to 3 weeks.
Voila!
Blueberry Jam On It!

(...Who can now say she did what she said she would NEVER do~And it wasn't THAT bad-I may help Tin Man next year...MAYBE!)




14 comments:
I was just telling my mom how I want to try and make jam next year. I saw so many flavors at the apple market this weekend.
Looks like fun but hard work!
sandy toe
I have 5 gal of pears that need to be made into jam. Wish Tin Man lived here...
You have far more guts and patience than I do! What a process, but I'm sure it will be well worth it in the end!
i remember my grandma making strawberry jam and us loving it - but i am not her! good for you!
That sounds so good. But, I must admit that I am so glad it is you and NOT ME!!! That sounds like a lot of work! :0)
Mrs. Nurse Boy
I just made 48 jars of jam with my Aunt. It was so darn fun! It's all about WHO you jam with. We would take breaks and play scrabble and then get busy again. :-)
Sounds yummy but I have to say I will just go to the farmers market and pay someone else.
I love homemade Blueberry Jam. Like you I grew up helping/watching my mom make it and to this day have NEVER done it. I wish so many times that I had some.....
I LOVE the saying you have on your front page. That is so the truth, only a mom to three boys would understand!! :)
Obviously the heat got to ya!
I made freezer jam and it was super easy... but I am one of those girls who has also said that I will never make "real" jam. Glad to hear it wasn't that bad, maybe I will try it after all ;)
Thanks for visting me! I'm baaaaaack ;)
~Em
good for you! i know... it was probably hard to give in and make jam, but now your christmas shopping is just about done!
several years ago when my hubby was stationed in charleston, sc we ent blueberry picking. we had so much fun... but we did not make jam. we made a blueberry sauce to go over ice cream! yummy!
during the last weeks of summer cam was invited to make strawberry freezer jam with a woman from church and he loved it... so we just might have some more jammin' in our fuure :)
You are such a great mom. So inspirational!
Post a Comment