Monday, September 28, 2009

Fried Parmesan Eggplant (Edited Version~Go To Chilli's Tonight, Make Fried Stuff Tomorrow...)

Tonight at CHILLI'S~ALL the profits go to St. Jude's to fight childhood cancer...This is what is for dinner tonight!

Did I ever mention to you that Southern Food is in my blood?

Oh, you bet ya, it is!
My mother was raised in the deep southwestern part of Virginia on a dairy farm. (My dad grew up in Cleveland-but that is besides the point.) The point is: I love southern food. Love.
However, I did not grow up eating it. My mom was very "health conscious" before it was cool-she used sugar sparingly, she scrambled our eggs-never fried them, she baked or grilled the chicken, and believed we needed to start our love affair with fresh veggies at an early age, so it was sliced up carrots, cucumbers, not fried okra. (She made us drink {DRINK!} a tablespoon of Cod Liver Oil every morning! I am telling you-health conscious before it was popular!!!)
But somehow-that southern way of cooking got in my blood. It could have been the fried eggs my Virginian grandmother made in bacon grease for us each summer, or the biscuits and gravy at Cracker Barrel I finally tried as a teenager. It could even be because I even married a boy whose roots start down in Alabama-I don't know.
What I do know is that I adore Southern Food.
I love (LOVE!) fried green tomatoes, and fried zucchini, and fried eggplant.
I love biscuits and gravy. (But I have never made it-)
I buy fried okra in a bag at Walmart because I have no idea where it is, or what it looks like in the fresh section of vegetables. (!)
I. LOVE. Southern. Food.
(I just love Southern Food!)
So, this Northern Girl made this last night for dinner (with my GRILLED chicken- for the health benefits-and Southern Sweet Tea-with just a little sugar thrown in for good measure-):

Fried Parmesan Eggplant

(The side dish that put a smile on Tin Man's face-he had no idea his Northern Wife was so Southern Inspired, but said it rocked!)

Fried eggplant strips with seasoned cornmeal coating, topped with Parmesan cheese.
Serve these eggplant strips with a little marinara sauce on the side, if desired.
*Our family served it with ranch on the side*

(P.S. For any other Northerners like myself {Self-Taught in the Southern Methods of cooking}-this cornmeal mix can be used to dip anything into-green tomatoes, zucchini, squash-whatever vegetable you need to fry up!)

Ingredients:
1 eggplant (about 1 pound)
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
vegetable oil
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preparation:
Peel eggplant, and cut into 2- x 3/4-inch strips; sprinkle with salt, and let stand 30 minutes. Pat dry. Combine cornmeal, pepper, and garlic powder. Dredge eggplant in cornmeal mixture, and fry in deep, hot oil (375°) until golden brown, cooking only a few at a time. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.Serves 4 to 6.
(Sorry! No picture-my whole family gobbled it all up!)

post signature
(...Who may be a Northerner, but with a dash of Southern food tendencies running in her blood!)

18 comments:

April said...

Girl...you are talking my language! As I'm sure you know, I was born and raised in the South...been here all my life. So, Southern cooking is nothing new to me. That recipe sounds wonderful! Hey, anything fried up with a coating of cornmeal is my kind of food! Fried okra and squash would have to be at the top of my list.

mother of three fellas said...

Yummy, I love fried pickles, here in the South we fry anything!! :)

Shell in your Pocket said...

Sounds yummy! When I walk into my mother in law's kitchen...there is so much grease spitting...I feel like I am popping pimples by the minute!

sandy toe

Diana Ferguson said...

Oh my! Sounds so good and this Texas girl loves her food.

My garden is officially through for the season.

Hop over for a giveaway!


Diana

Leah said...

Anything fried tastes good. I may have to try this recipe.

Holly said...

Hello - I found your blog through the BlogFrog network and thought I'd stop by and say hello. You are talking my language in this post - in tow ways. I am the mom of three boys as well although mine are a few years older (their all teens now) and I am from the south. I adore southern cooking as well. I grew up on the coast, which just means there's some crab boil thrown in among the fried green tomatoes. I am going to have to try the fried eggplant parm - might be the only way I get my kids to eat it :)

Nice to discover your blog!

Holly (co-founder TheBlogFrog)

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

I don't know that much about Southern food - but it sounds good!

Hey, I just saw that you won a giveaway on Somerset Cottage. Yay for you! (she won my giveaway) Isn't it funny how small this blogging world is?

Have a super day!

XOXO
Jen

Lindsay-ann said...

I love hearing about southern cooking. My friend in Arkansas gave me the recipe for chocolate gravy and biscuits and we really enjoyed it. Jamie Oliver has a new TV show and book out over here called Jamie's American Roadtrip. It's all so different to what we eat here and it fascinates me.
Lindsay
x

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

YUM! I just might have to try this. It sounds like an adventure for this northern girl!

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Mrs Montoya said...

Mmmmm, I miss some deep fried Southern cooking. I've been on the West Coast for almost 15 years and I have NEVER fried anything in my house. Pathetic, I know. I think I might break the mold with your eggplant. That sounds good and maybe my kiddos will think they're fries :) Thanks for sharing!

The Berry's Patch said...

Oh you are so making me hungry. It sounds divine. I happen to love eggplant and southern cooking. I've been craving biscuits and gravy lately. I've got a great biscuit recipe...I don't suppose you have a gravy recipe? I would be willing to exchange. :-)

Keelie said...

Deep fried? Say no more.

I have to confess, I cook this "southern" food on a regular basis. It really is not friendly on the waistline but to the tastebuds it is. Love it!

Georgia Girl said...

Oh yeah born and raised in the south so lots of good food and yes to the fried eggplant....so have you eaten grits?..lots of people don't know what that is and from some post some people say they don't have them in their neck of the woods...strange to me...great post...now I hungry all over again!

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

There's other food besides Southern?? It's hard to believe! :) I still fry eggs in bacon grease--I can't help it! To make up for it, we eat our okra unfried (steamed) at least twice a week. I love fried eggplant. This sounds delicious!

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Now that sounds like a delicious Southern Cooked Meal...did you guys eat it all up before you had a chance to get a pic? I always do that...lol

The garlic/herb pizza dough sounds good too...I will get some next time I go! By the way, Target had those dishes in other colors too; red, green and black! Hope you find some!

Stay Cozy, Carrie

Mommy Mac said...

SAUSAGE BALLS, SAUSAGE BALLS, SAUSAGE BALLS!!!!

There.

I feel better!!!

.mac :)

Nishant said...

Sounds so good and this Texas girl loves her food.......
Web hosting india

Queen to my 3 Boys said...

This Canadian girl just cannot even imagine what some of that stuff would taste like!

A question for you...is chicken-fried steak chicken or steak?

We should come visit for awhile. You could 'Southern-food educate me.'