Wednesday, September 30, 2009

He Wore This Shirt...


We were having one of those nights.
You know those days-everyone is getting hungry and crabby. It had been a long day, and no one was in the mood to cook. (Do you ever have nights like that, or is it just us??) We all just wanted a quick, easy meal that was "kid friendly."
So~

We went out one evening to our boys' favorite restaurant:
(Have you ever been to our Midwestern hamburger joint? It is not so 'high end', but we love this place with the kids. Burgers, fries, milkshakes-and quick~Perfect for the days when the thought of a greasy meal makes you salivate...)

Anyway...

Back to the story~

(Where was I? Oh, right~The beginning...)

We were out to dinner, and this older lady a couple of tables away keeps staring at us.

(More specifically-I think, but can't be sure- she is staring at my Tin Man ...)

Were my kids being too obnoxious?

Were we being too loud?

Were we dressed funny?

(The boys were dirty, for sure! Bath time hadn't happen yet-)

We were discussing what to eat, getting the kid situated with crayons, and seating-but nothing out of the ordinary.

(O.K. so maybe the two older ones were fighting over who was sitting where-but really-it was a very normal situation...for us. And I was keeping everyone quiet. Really, I was!!)

I was getting worried that somehow we were irritating her.

(I thought my kids were doing fine. The baby was a little whiny, but not THAT bad-)

What was the deal??

What were we doing that made her keep staring at us??!!

We placed our order (Slim Jim Combo, Big Boy minus sauce, two kids hamburgers, and one kid's cheeseburger-), prayed for our coming meal, and Tin Man got up to make his salad at the salad bar.

The lady followed him (!!) around the salad bar and back to his seat...

Then~

She walked up to us, and said,


"Ummm. Excuse me, young man, but would you stand up? I would like to read the back of your shirt."
(You just never know if someone is going to let you have it, or what, but Tin Man carefully stood up.)

He stood up, and showed her, and told her what it said:

She put her hand up to her mouth, and tears began to pour from the corner of her eyes, as she said,

"Oh My. Oh. That is the most touching thing ever. Thank you for wearing that. That is just beautiful. Just beautiful. "

Our boys sat wide eyed and silent.

She patted Tin Man on the shoulder as he sat back down.

I sat speechless , and teary myself.

(I swear, if you cry by me, I will be crying too!)


And the older lady went and sat down a few tables away again with her husband.

She wiped her eyes with a tissue for the rest of her meal.

After a few moments of complete silence at our table, our two older boys asked why she cried.

"Why would she cry about a shirt?"

"Did your shirt make her sad?"

"No~I think she is happy", Tin Man said. "She is thinking about Jesus, and she is thinking about how much He loves her."

We ended up talking to the kids about the meaning of Daddy's shirt while we waited for the rest of our meal. The boys decided they had a lot to be thankful for. (And so did we~)

It was a reminder to us as a family. Even when you are having one of those days~ remember the blessings we have been given, and to be thankful for what we have.

Even at the local Big Boy's-...when all you think you are there for is a hamburger, Coke, and fries...but you end up walking out full with more than just food in your tummy.


post signature

(...Who gets stressed out some days, but has so many blessings to be thankful for...Especially that my Tin Man is closer to forty today than I am! Happy Birthday, Sweetie! Can I just say "Ditto" from my post last year on his birthday? Well, I did-so click on the phrase to go there-the only thing that has changed is that Lucy is much bigger and we can't pick her up! :) )

16 comments:

Leah said...

You just never know when a teaching moment is going to arise but what a great moment to have happen.

Lindsay-ann said...

Thanks so much for sharing that amazing story. I am so glad the the wonderful message on the shirt 'spoke' to that lady. It also means something to me today.
Lindsay
x

LuLu said...

What a touching story. It made me weepy too! And I'm just like you if you cry I'll be crying!
xo,
LuLu

Keelie said...

That's sweet!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Wow! That is awesome! Thanks for posting this.

mommynoodles said...

Well,I cryed reading your post.Can you imagine if I was at the burger joint?! lol I've had touchimg moments like this before,but not over a shirt.You never know when "GOD" is going to use,even if it is just by wearing a shirt!! Awesome story and shirt for sure!!
Have a "BLESSED" week!!
Natalie,

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

I am the same way--If someone, ANYONE, cries around me the flood gates will open!

What a sweet lady! God is amazing and He will move anywhere, won't He?! Even in a greasy diner!

Mrs. Nurse Boy

April said...

As Christians, we really have no idea that what we say, how we carry ourselves, or what we wear could have an impact on someone's life. I think Tin Man's shirt spoke loud and clear to that woman's heart. She felt blessed...and I know you did, too!

Annikke said...

I got teary reading this story. You just never know who you will "touch" and that is why it is so important to be a light at all times. Thanks for sharing the story.

Oh..and we used to have Big Boys here but they have all closed up, so sad!

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

Now I'm cry-y too! Thanks for sharing--not just here with us but in the real world, too!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

What a sweet moment. That is so special.

We don't have Big Boys here, but I think I remember going to them when I was young.

XOXO
Jen

Mother Hood said...

WOW. That is SO cool. My eyes are welling up just reading that!

Mommy Mac said...

I bet Big Boy is simliar to our Shoney's down here.

So ultra cool this story is.

God works in the details, little and big.

I need to be constantly reminded of this.

Thank you for such a wonderful story shared. Simple and real.

.mac :)

2 Little Irish Boys said...

Kinda ironic how a crazy, grumpy day can end so wonderfully blessed. Your story is so touching--we all have so many things to be grateful for.....God is so cool!

Dawn said...

just catching up with you... i know i should be cleaning house, but here i sit, distracted and crying. what a beautiful story... or maybe not a story, but a moment. i just love how Jesus finds us where ever we are...

Pokey said...

Great Shirt! Great walking Bible! pokey