Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas Traditions: Christmas Reading

Here is a favorite scenario in December:
We set out all our Christmas (and a few Hanukkah) books to read aloud in the Great room. Sometimes, you find the boys reading on their own, and sometimes, they ask for some help.
Here are a few of their favorites:
Another thing we started this year, that I saw on Sandy Toe's blog, was The Jesse Tree-An Advent Book. We are really enjoying reading this as our family devotional this month: I also am a voracious reader, (Duh!) and during the month of December, I stick to reading from my stash of Christmas stories. I HAVE to read before I fall asleep. Tin Man never minds...as long as I scratch his back-and that isn't that difficult because he is snoring within less than five minutes...

This book is one I am planning to start this week:

My dear, dear friend who lives many hours away sent this book to me for my birthday-Signed by the author (!!) and all! I really can't wait to read it.
I know it will be an "emotional" book, and we've had some sad extended family news this month, so I haven't been able to do some "heavy" reading...but I am getting ready to finally start. The good thing is, I can read a book in a couple of days, so I bet I can finish it before Christmas Day.
(...With my box of tissues close by~)

Do you read anything special at Christmas time?


post signature

(...Who loves reading her Christmas books!)


9 comments:

Moore Minutes said...

I just posted about Christmas stories too. ;) We should be neighbors, lol. You posted books I haven't read...exciting! I love trying new ones. Thank you! How fun.

Mother Hood said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your sad family news. Hope the Lord can comfort everyone involved.

The Three Trees is my Christmas theme this year. So, I will be reading that story aloud to the kids and adults on Christmas Eve. We also read "Who is coming to our house"...a story from the animals point of view.

bevy said...

I JUST (the morning in Sunday School, actually) heard of Christmas Jars and wish I had heard of it earlier. Might go out and buy the children's version this afternoon as a story to read to my sons when they come home after visiting their grandparents.

We love Christmas books... our favorite is The Crippled Lamb. I blogged about it earlier this December if you want to know more!

Lindsay-ann said...

We love Christmas books here too. Our special family tradition is that my husband and his brother always read 'Bill Frog To The Rescue' to my daughter every Christmas Eve. It's a really old book from their childhood and it's all about Bill Frog who helps out Santa when he gets sick at Christmas. They will still be reading it to her this year even though she's 13! Isn't that sweet?
Lindsay
x

Angie Acapella said...

I haven't commented on every one, but I've been reading about all of your Christmas traditions and am struck by what special and caring mother are, to make sure this is a warm and memorable time for your family!

Kristin said...

we read polor express and ALWAYS read The night before Christmas on Christmas eve. This year I am reading the purpose of Chritsmas by Max Lucado

Dawn said...

during december, our "piano room" becomes a play room. nativities the kids can play with, stuffed animals, lego advent calendars and books. oh so many books. i love to catch them in there just laying on the floor immersed in christmas (even at 12 & 15!) of all my many many christmas books... my favorite is still christmas in the manger. the baby book that has the wooly lamb and the shiny gems on the king's crown. makes me cry every time...

Kathy said...

You will love, and be inspired by, "The Christmas Jars". I read it 2 years ago and kept the book, I don't keep many books, I usually pass them on. Enjoy! Have a wonderful Christmas!
Kathy

Girly Stuff said...

I'll have to check the Christmas Jars out.

Hope all is better with your extended family.