and I showed you how our family Christmas tree got 'picked' to come home with us this year~ (HERE).
Now it is up, and in our home, shedding its pine needles all over the carpet.
And, for some crazy reason~I am completely fine with it.
My mom gives me one of her "I told you so" looks when she comes over and sees our tree.
And trust me, she should.
When I was a teen, I gave her the HARDEST time. One thing that we now laugh about was my "perfect Christmas tree" obsession.
I wanted a tree with matching ornaments, and coordinating ribbons and bows~
not the gaudy, tacky tree we had every year.
Not Grandma's crochet ornaments.
Not the macaroni hand-made ornaments I made in kindergarten.
Not the mismatched ornaments.
Definitely NOT colored lights.
One year, I even went as far as making my own coordinating ornaments for my parents tree. I baked Christmas shapes-trees, and stars, and snowflakes.
I painted them all white, and begged my mom to let me do the tree that year. I put up only my white hand-made ornaments, and bought my own white lights to put up.
God Bless her! She did.
So now, when my mom comes over and sees my tree-
I get that look.
That "I Told You So" look.
{She was right.}
My favorite ornaments are not the coordinating ornaments, the white lights, and the perfect bows anymore.
{Well, they ARE, but they are on my own tree in the front room~}
My favorite ornaments are the ones with memories of a trip to Aruba, the one from our cottage town, ones given to us by friends and family, the ones that hold pictures of our sweet Chocolate Labrador who died, or the ones my Grandma made that now hang from my tree.
And here are some of my very favorite Christmas ornaments:
{Made JUST for me~}
{Made JUST for me~}





10 comments:
A LOT like mine, except we didn't go get a real one.
We used to go get a real one from my Grandma's land, when I was growing up.
Your tree is beautiful!
It's not tacky! It's lovely! My tree is a menagerie of Radkos, sterling silver baby rattles, AND faded handmade ornaments the boys have made through the years. I wouldn't have it any other way!
(Though I do put my foot down on colored lights! LOL)
Your tree is perfect!
I remember a popcorn snowman whose head was falling off that a neighbor of my parents had made. I begged to chunk out the back door every year.
But now my tree is full of the same kind of memories and I love it more and more!
I finally got done with a series I have been reading, and I started reading Summer Affair. Just so you know, I can't put it down! It is sooooooo good! Thank you so much for the giveaway!
I think this is a lovely tree filled with lots of warmth and tradition. Have a good weekend!
You are absolutely right! It is the most beautiful tree! We have 2 trees... cause I love the look of many tress in a home... we have our everything tree and one that is matchy :)
Love your header picture,
xo,
LuLu
Your tree is really lovely. I always admire the trees that I see all pefect and matching but there's something special about a tree that's clothed in memories and things that are personal. Our tree is very much like yours. It has some baubles that were made 30 years ago by my Grandfather and little crafty things made by Jessica when she was small.
Enjoy your tree, it's glowing with love.
Lindsay
x
Lovin' the tree! and it is so not tacky! it is perfect!
=)
I have to smile because I said the same thing the whole while I was growing up. I wanted a tree that looked perfectly matched and lovely. When my husband and I got married, I had that tree (and I loved it then). Now we have kids and I DELIGHT in the fact that they delight in the tree and want to make it their own. I imagine that in just a few years, our tree will look like yours. And I will love it.
I cried a little. I think it is so perfect : )
Post a Comment