Friday, October 24, 2008

Piano Practice...Ugh!

I think my son might have the meanest piano teacher in our state.


Our oldest son started piano lessons this fall. He is supposed to practice fifteen (!) minutes every day. (Sometimes he is crying because he would rather play outside.) She is really particular about what fingers are on what keys, and how straight his back is. (I mean, REALLY!!)

He even has flash cards to practice, and a theory book to complete. This sometimes causes a complete meltdown! (Doesn't she understand a second grader gets enough homework from school??)

He is doing really well, though. So I think we're going to make him stick with it. He is quite musical once he resigns himself to practicing the piano. But I REALLY need to tell you the teacher's name so you don't hire her-She is really tough...


~Ruby Red Slippers (A.K.A. The Piano Teacher...)

19 comments:

Mommy Mac said...

Hi there!

I have stumbled upon your blog through Joy of Home. Isn't her blog the best? Such great repurposing ideas...

I, too, am a mother to boys and a "wee"-tired teacher!

Your boys are handsome! Your blog is great! Keep posting!!

:-) Meghan Cobble

April said...

Oh, so you're the meanie, huh?? For shame, for shame!! Just kidding! :)

I think anytime you can get your kids involved in music in one capacity or another, it's great! Abby has been involved in her school chorus since the 3rd grade and loves it!!

Anonymous said...

What a meanie you are..lol. Who would ever think to make a young student practice or keep their back straight..Ugh..

lol- what a cuties he is.. I am loving that last one.. where he is taking a bow.

Shell in your Pocket said...

We just had huge talk with my son about practicing and doing theory and going over his flashcards. He has a very nice teacher...I am the mean enforcer!

Plus...I can barely read a note so I know my son tricks me sometimes:)
-Sandy Toes

Julie said...

ha ha, I hated piano lessons and used to fake the timer I had to use so that I could go out and play....

trish said...

That is too funny. Your son is precious. How awesome to learn piano at home. What a gift you are giving to your sons!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Far From Perfect said...

I feel your pain... I went through this with my older two. Our mean teacher "Norma" died two years ago and Bird has this new teacher, Nice Megan. My two older ones learned displine & music repect-don't think Bird is getting this from the young teacher!!! Wish mean Norma was still around. Man I could have filled up a bath tub of tears caused by Norma.

Annikke said...

THAT is funny! You meanie!

trish said...

Me again! I corrected the link to "her." :o) Where is my brain these days? Thanks for letting me know!!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Lindsay-ann said...

My daugher had the loveliest piano teacher but she just didn't enjoy playing. She hated practicing too. She stopped taking lessons after a couple of years and now plays the flute which she enjoys much more.
Have a great weekend.
Lindsay

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

How funny...Little Miss Piano Teacher! I was picturing a crochety old woman, and hoping she doesn't read your blog! :)
Have a great weekend!
Carrie

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

P.S. Phew! Just got your comment about showering at 3:30. Makes me feel better to know it happens to you too! :)
Carrie
P.P.S. I just skipped the whole thing and didn't even shower today at all! It's almost the weekend, right?

Rae said...

Too funny!!! I'm the meanie piano teacher in our house....just as Kenners!!! :)

Kristin said...

I quit piano after a few lessons and my teacher was nice. Maybe you know something that my mom didn't. I could have been famous.

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Good for you Miss Smooth Legs! (I won't tell my husband, that way he won't have expectations that MY legs will be smooth...) Have a great weekend!
Carrie

Girly Stuff said...

You don't even let him sit down! Poor Kid.

I'm sure he is brilliant with the ivories!

Sweet Simplicity said...

I wish I would have taken piano lessons when I was little. He will thank you one day so just keep being a "mean" mommy!

HeatherPride said...

Oh wow, I'm so jealous that you can play and you're teaching your boys how to as well! That's very cool.

I also absolutely love the absolutely cuckoo song that plays when I open up your blog. I have to go download it right.now. before I forget (again).

Daphine said...

Hi!
I am a blogging buddy of April and Sandy Toes. Loved this post. I sure remember the days when our oldest daughter took piano lessons. Getting her to practice was the HARDEST thing to do. Unfortunately, she no longer plays. I sure miss her playing. You seem to have many talents Ms. Piano Teacher. lol!

You're boys are very cute!