Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Tin Man's Chicken Noodle Soup

Our whole family has had a terrible cold for the last few weeks. (The way it is hanging on, we could have TB or something else that is just as horrible!)

Tin Man made some chicken noodle soup to help us all feel better. It smelled so good as it simmered all day AND it was amazingly delicious! (An Extra bonus-the chicken was on sale, and we used noodles that were in the pantry...) He came up with the recipe on his own, so there is one (tiny) problem -he doesn't measure out ingredients to an exact science...Don't be afraid! Read on:


This is the Tin Man's Chicken Soup-In His Own Words:

  • Buy a rotisserie chicken from Walmart. * After 7:00 p.m., they reduce the chicken half- off. *



  • Take off all the white breast meat, chop it up, and put it in separate container.


  • Put the whole chicken carcass and bones in a pot of water and simmered it for about 3 hours. (Low Heat-Do not boil.)


  • Peel one onion, and add that to the pot.



  • After simmering for 3 hours, take out the chicken carcass, the bones, and the onion. (Throw that away.)



  • Add chopped up celery, carrots, onions and meat from chicken (that you had set aside) to the pot.


  • Add macaroni noodles, and broken up pieces of lasagna noodles. (It was what was in the pantry at the time!)


  • Add some chicken bouillon (1-2 cubes) for salt seasoning and add some garlic powder and pepper. (We added some Cajun seasoning too, but that is optional.)

That was basically it. The rotisserie chicken has a lot of flavor already. Simmer on the stove until you are ready to eat it. Add a nice green salad (that your really sweet neighbor made for your super-sick family to go with the soup...)






Enjoy! We did, and are possibly cured from the common cold...until the next one comes around...




~Ruby Red Slippers (With a plugged up nose...)




13 comments:

April said...

Wow! You have a terrific husband to be cooking you homemade chicken noodle soup when you're under-the-weather. I am so impressed and the soup looks and sounds wonderful! I may have to give it a try! Hope you're feeling much better by now! :)

Rae said...

This is my kind of soup! Thanks for sharing. I had no idea the chicken went half off after 7 PM. Definitely making a note of that!

Continue to get better!!!

Shell in your Pocket said...

The soup looks yummy! I cracked up about getting the chicken after 7 to get a sale..that is my husband!!!

That salad looks so yummy...I love red onions and feta!!!

Feel better soon!
-Sandy Toes

Lindsay-ann said...

Your chicken noodle soup looks delicious. I could just eat some now! Thanks for the instructions. I will definately have to try it.
Hope it made you feel better.
Lindsay

Anonymous said...

Aw, what a sweet thing for your husband to do..

I love homemade chicken noodle soup.. It's the best..

I am sorry you are feeling yucky! Send well wishes your way..

HeatherPride said...

Using the rotisserie chicken is an awesome shortcut I never thought about! Way to go, hubs!

Dana said...

Isn't chicken noodle soup just the BEST for a cold? I'm super impressed that your hubby cooks! You lucky, lucky girl! My hubby makes really "odd" things if he's left to make a meal. I think he does it on purpose so I won't make him cook again. Last time he made the kids a meal it was something like hot dogs and chicken cut up and boiled in garlic water. He made some bacon and then threw everything in the bacon pan and cooked together in the bacon fat (eww) and had all of that over pasta. I didn't eat any. The kids ate it but weren't thrilled. Oddly enough, they all felt a bit ill later. Yeah, he doesn't cook anymore! LOL

Mrs Anne said...

That looks delish. Kudo's to the Tin Man and his sweet cooking skills/healing powers!

trish said...

Oh yum! What a sweet act of kindness from your husband, to make homemade soup for you! I called my husband at work and mentioned that we need to buy a chicken from Wal-Mart soon so that we too can have a delicious pot of soup like yours! Please extend our family' gratitude to your husband for the recipe! It will be perfect when these nights begin to cool.
I hope you will feel better real soon!
I have an award for you on my blog today!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

The Berry's Patch said...

That sounds delicious! I'm glad your feeling better. It's no fun to be sick. What a nice hubby to cook homemade soup while your sick. :-)

Girly Stuff said...

Hope you guys get better soon!

Ruby Red Slippers said...

Just a Note: Tin Man cooks because he likes to eat! He should be a chef, he is that good! He's the one who taught me how to cook, and he has so many good recipes to share...more to come!

Janell said...

I have to make this!!! Tell the Tin Man THANKS for the recipe!!! Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog too! =]