Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Fireproof Your Marriage!

(On our 12 year anniversary this past summer)

I wish I had cool graphics to grab your attention, but I am computer illiterate! (If you scroll down, there will be another picture of my husband and me...Like that's a draw!)


Instead of reading Twilight last night (which was my plan), my hubby and I went to see the movie, Fireproof. (Here is my plug I am not getting paid for-go see it ASAP.) Here is the link: http://www.fireproofmymarriage.com/ . They mention the "Love Dare"-Has anyone done it? I would love to hear about it. We want to buy the book talked about in the movie!


The movie reminded us that marriage is hard work, but so worth it! I can write about how much I love my dear Tin Man now only because we've considered the crossroad that is talked about in the movie-Divorce. The arguments, the anger, the excuses, the keeping score, the tears-been there! For us, it was b.c. (before children, and actually before we made strong commitments to Christ). Our first couple of years weren't that great-I'll admit it. We were young, selfish, and looking out for ourselves rather than each other. After much soul searching and seeking counsel, we realized that love was more than just a feeling, it was a commitment forever. I think everyone who is married has that crossroad to contemplate. I am so thankful it was early on we figured out what worked for us. So now twelve years have gone by. We've added three kids and two pets. Our marriage isn't perfect -because neither of us are-but it is perfect for us! Here is the picture of two imperfect people who are perfect for each other:




I always ask older couples what their "secret" is to a great marriage-I love hearing what they say! All the answers have been different. So, what is your secret to a great marriage?

~Ruby Red Slippers (who still hasn't finished Twilight...)

27 comments:

April said...

I am so glad you got to see "Fireproof"...especially with your husband!! Isn't it an awesome movie? What did your hubby think about it? I still would like to see it, again, with Chris.

Wow, that's a great question you asked! Secrets to a good marriage, huh? Well, Chris and I have been married for almost 19 years (this month). I would definitely have to say that, first and foremost, the #1 secret to a good marriage is GOD. We said our vows before God 19 years ago and we took that very seriously. We are committed to Him and to our marriage. We know that we will be together FOREVER and there is never any question about it!

Secondly, I'd have to say that trust is extremely important. I NEVER have to worry about Chris when he's on the road because I know I have his heart. The gold bands we each wear on our fingers symbolize the never-ending love and committment we have for one another. Our marriage is solid.

I, of course, would have to say that laughter is another secret to a good and lasting marriage. You have to be able to laugh with each other through all the ups and downs of life. Chris and I can be upset one minute, and two seconds later, we're busting out in laughter.

Lastly, I'd have to say that friendship is a huge component of a good marriage. Chris is my best friend...no one knows me better than he does. When I'm down, he lifts me up. There is no one I'd rather spend time with than him... and my girls, of course.

I could probably come up with several more secrets to a good marriage, but I think these are my top choices. Great, great question! I can't wait to see the other responses!

Ruby Red Slippers said...

P.S. April asked if Tin Man liked it. He actually saw it with his best friend two nights ago, and thought so much of it, he wanted to go again with me. AWESOME movie!! We're babysitting tonight so his friend can take his wife too!

mysteryhistorymom said...

I have heard that the movie "Fireproof" is really good! I am hoping to go see it soon. I am holding back on reading the next book in the Twilight series, though. I don't want it to be over too soon!:)

Your family is darling!:)

Lori

Edwina at The Picket Fence said...

I haven't seen the movie, but just a clip that was shown at our church. This looks like it will be a great movie and something that is much needed in our world today. I have been happily married to my hubby for 37 years and there have been times of needed renewing and refreshing, but I can truly say, it just keeps getting better and better.

April said...

Hey, just wanted to let you know that I went to the link you posted and ordered the book from Amazon. Can't wait to read it and put it to use!!

Shell in your Pocket said...

I am so excited to see that movie... this Friday at 6:55 we are going!

I have been married as long as you...so I am no expert.
My secret...
Saying "sorry" when I need to and truly granting forgiveness

Have a great day! Sandy Toes

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I saw someone else post about this movie a couple days ago! It is on my list...Glad to hear that you made it through the crossroads! Marriage is never easy....it takes work! Our marriage is not perfect, but we keep the lines of communication open and my wise grandmother always told me...."Never go to bed angry" I follow her advice and it seems to work!

Thanks for visiting my blog today....our dog is a Havanese...he looks very similar to your Lucy!!

Your boys are handsome....what a beautiful family!

I'll be back to visit soon!

Lisa

Blissfully Enamored said...

Thank you SO much for stopping by my blog! I feel bad b/c I have not been attentive to it this week! Hopefully I will have a chance to update soon! Trust me...my dogs don't need to bowls either...but they DID get cute HOWL-oween costumes today!!! I am such a dork!

Whitney said...

Our secret to a great marriage is LAUGHING! We have laughed together since the day we met. Even after a petty fight, we can turn around and laugh it off. We find humor in most things throughout our day...it just makes life so much fun together!

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Awe sweet post! I want to see that movie! We went last friday to see Nights in Rodanthe...sounds like we should have went to see Fireproof instead!
We have been married 20 yrs (21 this February) It has not been easy (especially the first 10 yrs)but now it's pretty easy. Our secret I can say has got to be that we are committed to each other. Something most marriages lack. We also know that love is not a feeling but an action. We choose to love one another whether we "feel" it or not!

Anonymous said...

I really want to see this movie.. I am hoping to see it this weekend..

Faith said...

Thanks so much for stopping by! I agree, everyone should go see this movie. It is so good!

I agree with a couple of other commenters that laughter is one of our secrets. I tend to get wound up pretty tight, but my man can make me laugh and realize that there's no use being upset!

Love your blog and your family is the cutest!

nikkicrumpet said...

You're right....our posts were very similar. I think our secret is that we both married our best friend. I would hang out with him even if there were no love sparks....so the sparks are A BONUS!

Becky said...

My hero and I will be celebrating our 36th wedding anniversary in November. Trust, communication, love, laughter (we laugh alot) and friendship.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. Your boys are precious!!! We have three grandsons!

Ms. Tee said...

I love that you said "two imperfect people who are perfect for each other". That's so true of all of us! We saw Fireproof over the weekend and I agree - it's awesome. :) have a great week!

Heather said...

I cannot wait to see this movie!

Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog.

Alicia The Snowflake said...

Our son is going with Nana to visit family. They will be gone for over a week. Hubby & I will have to go see this while he is away.

We have been married 14 yrs. I think one of our secrets is a commitment to the commitment we made. Several years ago, I had to make the decision that it was not about the circumstance, but the commitment. My other secret...Keeping my mouth closed. It sure can get me into a lot of trouble.

BTW, you and the Tin Man look great together!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

It will not be in our little town until the 10th and 11th, but we are going to see it. Hard work would be one of the things behind a great marriage, and putting the needs of the other person first. We have had ups and downs, but now we really enjoy each other, and I take my husbands concerns more as concerns as opposed to thinking he is criticizing me. He really has a lot of wisdom to offer me. Jackie

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

I would have to agree with April...putting God first always puts everything in perspective and I mean everything. With God, nothing is impossible. : )
Mary Lou

judy said...

Hi, I found your blog and love it. You are one talented lady.

I especially appreciate hearing the music as I have been wondering who that artist is. YEAH!

Secret to a long marriage.....have fun together. Laugh often. Don't take yourselves too seriously. But most importantly, put God first. Seek His direction in every decision.
And....always stay 'best friends.'

Shannon said...

We are going to see this tonight. I'm excited!

mysteryhistorymom said...

November 21st is the premiere of the movie!! What did you think of the ending of the book? Are you going to run out and get the next in the series??:) Lori

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! My husband is allergic to Siamese kittys as well..but we have our neighbors kitty that is siamese and he loves to come and visit and believe it or not..my husband is not affected by him...or his long haired brother that we used to have..(he came to live with us) and was with us for about 2 years and one night he disappeared..any way..I wish I could help..is he indoor or outdoor? now I must go and check out this movie...Take care..:)

Girly Stuff said...

Your blog is really good! You seem sweet and fun! I have been married almost 13 years...it is work...i just realized this past year what a commitment it truly is...mostly because we had very close friends go through such a rough patch...we thought it hit a little too close to home and opened our eyes...I think being Christ centered is the key in the end. And I just finished the Twilight series...The first book was my favorite! enjoy!

trish said...

I have pondered this question for several days now. :o)
I have to agree with April, on all her points actually! Our marriage hinges on Christ. Every decision we make does the same. We have been married for almost 17 years and we have seen our share of blessings and storms. We tend to hold on for dear life in the storm, then become stronger for it, once it is passed. Honesty is everything. Laughter and silly "inside jokes" that only the two of us know are some of our favorites.
Thank you for post!! Rich!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

The Dragonfly said...

I just watched a program on marriage where they interviewed 200 couples who had been married for more than 20 years (and were thus deemed "successful marriages). The most common denomenator between the two hundred couples was that they were positive people - not only in dealing with and talking to their spouses, but just in general. It makes sense to me - who likes being around negativity? So my goal is to be a positive person, and most especially when it comes to my sweet spouse.

Em said...

You guys are adorable... Coming from a 6 year failed marriage, church counceling, 2 marriage retreats (to save it) and countless books - I can honestly say... YES, marriage is hard work and to answer your question - my secret would be honesty because the lack of it lead to the demise of my marriage. I am not Debbie Downer though, I am now in a very secure, happy & HONEST relationship!