Thursday, August 6, 2009

These Hands~


These hands...


bounced a ball with his four siblings growing up in Cleveland many years ago.

worked in a dry cleaners through high school.

held a gun in basic training during the Korean War.

cradled four babies-two boys and two girls that call him father.

raised to accept Christ at the age of forty.

wiped the tears from his eyes when he received the call telling him that his second son died way too young.

patted the head of his third child and called her "Curly" as she grew to adulthood.

tightened a helicopter seat belt as he rushed to be by the side of his oldest son who was in a serious motorcycle crash in a different state.

dialed the phone each morning for a month and called his oldest daughter to pray with her as she woke up crying each morning due to her first broken heart in college.

signed the check for his youngest to attend the school of her dreams so she could fulfill her dreams of a medical career.

These Hands~


fold in prayer every day while kneeling by the family room couch while he prays for his family and God's direction in his life.

hug his wife every morning since their wedding forty years ago.

work at his estimation and sales construction job he has held for over thirty years.

swing the golf clubs on occasion with his son-in-law.

mow his five acres of grass every week.

clap passionately when the Detroit Lions execute a surprisingly great play.

hold books as he reads to all five of his grandchildren.

join in prayer with his wife and kids as he prays with them, and for them often.

lift a fork (on occasion) with his favorite dessert-a piece of warm apple pie.

plant a garden larger than the square feet of his home every year.

smooth the pages of his Bible that he has read every day since his conversion.

navigate his small sailboat through the swells of Lake Huron.

pass on great novels to his daughter who loves to read as much as he does.

These hands~ are celebrating their seventy-ninth birthday August eighth.


Happy Birthday, Dad.

You are an inspiration to many-and always to me.

You have lived what you believe,

you have given great wisdom, correction and love through the many stages of my life.

You are the father most people wish they had~

I am so proud I can say you're mine.


Love you~

"Curly"

post signature

26 comments:

Work in progress said...

This is so beautiful!! You have such a wonderful way with the written word and a heart of gratitude that shows through! I loved this one as well as the post you wrote about your mother. Fantastic! What an awesome blessing from God.

Dawn said...

i cannot tell you how this touched my heart... but you probably have an inkling. ruby red, this post is so beautiful, and you know your gonna make your daddy cry! here's wishing him a happy birthday... and many more years of love!

Mommy Mac said...

Absolutely the best post you have ever written.

I love your dad and have never met him.

That's just exactly what your words did to me.

He sounds amazing and so strong.

And I bet he really loves you a lot, Curly!

.mac :)

Annette said...

That was an awesome post!! Love it, and the photos.. so precious

Unknown said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

Shell in your Pocket said...

Oh how sweet!

Happy Birthday to your dad! What a wonderful "tribute" to him!!!!

sandy toe

Lindsay-ann said...

What a beautiful post. Your Dad truly sounds an amazing person. I wish him a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY and hope he has a lovely day.
Lindsay
x

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

What a wonderful tribute your father. So beautiful. He sounds like an amazing man. You are so lucky to have him. I hope he has a super birthday!

XOXO
Jen

Girly Stuff said...

That was wonderful to read!!

What a great father. And what a great personal testimony.

Michelle said...

This is one of the most amazing post I've ever read, Happy Birthday to your father!

2 Little Irish Boys said...

I am speechless! So well written, straight from the heart, and I felt every word of it. Not really having a father around since I was 10.....I long for that type of relationship. You are truly blessed (so is he).
Happy Birthday! Hope he has a wonderful day!

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

WOW!!! What a beautiful post and what an amazing father you have!!!

Happy Birthday!!!

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Queen to my 3 Boys said...

*sniff sniff* (I'm such a sap.)

That's beautiful.

I have been meaning to get a picture of my Grandpa's hands with my children's - just love the contrast. I really need to do it before it's too late.

Annikke said...

I just bawled like a big baby. That is the most precious tribute to anyone's father I have read!

About Southern Belle said...

Praying your Dad has a wonderful birthday. Reading your post brought tears to my eyes...

Sandra said...

That was sooo lovely!

Thank you for sharing!!! You are a blessed woman!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Happy Happy Birthday to your dad. This post was so touching. I am sure he is so touched to read these precious things about him. Have a great weekend!
Carrie

amy & lisa said...

Ok, you just brought tears to my eyes! What a blessing you have in an earthy father.
My daughter did pictures like this of my grandpa and his youngest great grandchild at the time. What a treasure. There is something to be said about the hands of an old man and wow, you really said it all!
Great post!

Mother Hood said...

So touching!

Kelli said...

Um, I have tears. What beautiful words...words that will be cherished. Wow.

Mary Beth said...

How beautiful! I've got 10 mile high goosebumps (great, I'm going to have to go shave again!) and tears in my eyes. That was THE MOST BEAUTIFUL POST I'VE EVER READ! I loved it. Thanks so much for sharing your talent and heartwarming thoughts!

Rachel said...

Such a beautiful tribute. I feel like I know your dad just reading this.

Thanks for sharing

Letti said...

What a beautiful post.

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

What a touching tribute to your dad--he sounds great! It's so nice to find people through blogging that I have so much in common with. Love your blog which I happened across just by finding one of your comments on the SITS blog of the day.

Love the title of your blog by the way, very cute!

Melissa Lester said...

What a beautiful tribute to your dad!

Teresa @ ♥ Too Many Heartbeats ♥ said...

This is such a precious tribute to your dad. I love how you did it. Thanks for sharing.

Because of Him,

Teresa <><

http://toomanyheartbeats.blogspot.com