Thursday, February 25, 2010

What Would Mama Do? (Part DUE for Mothers of Little Boys~))

{Go HERE to view part UNO of my interview and the 'why' behind the interview.}
This is part DUE {Italian for 'two'} of an interview I did with Italian Mama.
 WHAT WOULD MAMA DO?
She is the mother of three amazing teen boys...and agreed to answer my questions on how  to order up a few of those good boys...because as we know, little boys that are cute and sweet grow into teen boys.
{And I want to know how to raise some great ones!}
6. How have you shown your boys you love them as they were little, and how has that changed as they are teens?

Loads of kisses, hugs and giggles used to be enough when they were little. Teens requre more verbal love... telling them how handsome they are... they really care if you like or dislike a certain shoe, or type of music, (if you have a good relationship with your kids) YOUR OPINION MATTERS TO THEM if you've done what it takes to make your kids feel comfortable in their own skin, with boundaries set in place.  Treating their friends kindly, without a lot of intervention or talking to the friends while in their presence also goes a long way. Talk to the friends parents to get to know the child, then ask only a couple of questions per visit, so you don't seem nosy. NEVER, EVER let the bedroom door shut to the teens room with visitors over...EVER...no matter what gender. Closed doors are not necessary... if you have nothing to hide.

7. How do you teach your boys to stay away from dangerous activities-drugs, alcohol, teen pregnancy?

It's an EVERY SINGLE DAY conversation from the time they are born...LITERALLY! Tell your kids all the time what is expected of them. Tell them all the time the ramifications of doing any of those things. Show pictures, take them on tours to juvenile hall, daycare centers, rehab facilities. Watch documentaries together of meth addicts and what happens to the body when drugs, alcohol or any bad substance is used... SCARE THEM STRAIGHT... it's old school, but effective... the
more graphic... the better.. ONLY WHEN THE AGE IS APPROPRIATE...LOL... not as kids...
Point out a person walking down the street, all dirty, shaking, talking to himself, and say that's what happens when bad choices are made... (teach them to have mercy and to pray for those people, and not hate or belittle them... compassion is key)

8. How have you taught your boys to love God? And others?

I make a lot of mistakes... a lot! I ask God for forgiveness RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY KIDS... and I thank God for being merciful. Your kids will love God, if you have a good relationship with God, that isn't stuffing it down their throats. Religion isn't God, living up to the potential God set forth for you and honoring Him with your life, is. All thanks should be God's, and our kids need to hear us do that.


9. Are there any books you recommend reading to get us ready to parent teens?

There are no books that can prepare you for the teen years. Sorry...LOL! I TRULY believe, the PARENTS are the ones that make or break a teenagers years. While I have a lot of rules and expectations, I also allow a certain amount of freedom so they don't feel stifled or
 trapped. It's a delicate balance, and no book that dictate what or how you do it, because it has to match your child's personality and threshhold for handling what life brings.


I will say this though... TRAVEL WITH YOUR CHILDREN to places that most people only get to read about. If at all possible. If you can forgo a new car another year, or not have to get a massage every week, save that money and take a family vacation to Europe or Alaska, or Hawaii or South America... somewhere off the beaten path... and BE PRESENT with them. Traveling to places like that CHANGES the child for the better. It helps them to see the world with new eyes. It helps them to broaden their sense of self. It really helps they see that OTHER countries feel their countries are THE BEST too, and that other people have as much passion for their rights and ways of life that we do. I want my boys to see the world as their oyster, not just America. I don't like the "self importance" instilled here, and I want my kids to feel the WORLD is something they need to make better and stronger, not just where they live... I want them to know that
 EVERYONE is their brother and sister in God, He made them all, and respect of our differences is important... God loves every creature He has made.

10. Final thoughts? Comments? Recommendations?

Talk TO your kids... not AT your kids.

Don't stop parenting just because they can feed, drive or take care of themselves... THEY STILL NEED YOU! Maybe more now than ever before!


Never stop telling them you love them... ever.

Your children will rise to the expectations you set out for them... I promise you.

Have faith.


Be good examples. If you don't want your kids to drink, don't drink, if you don't want them to do drugs... NEVER TELL YOU WHAT YOU DID WHEN YOU WERE YOUNGER, and don't use them now... If you don't want them to mean and nasty, don't do it yourself....

Grazie, Grazie! {Thank you, Thank you!} Italian Mama! I appreciate you letting us in on what is to come with teenage boys...{Oh Heaven help me!}

Any Questions for 'Our Boy Expert'~Italian Mama?
Please post them or your thoughts in the comment section...It is a good thing to learn from each other!
post signature

(...Who is raising three boys with help from Above...and Italian Mama!)

9 comments:

Karen and Gerard said...

What great advice. Very wise about not ever closing the bedroom door if friends are over. Also love the idea of traveling to give them a world view--this I missed out on but it's probably a very good idea.

April said...

Hey girl...I've missed you while I've been gone! It's good to be back! This is such wonderful advice and I think it can apply to both girls and boys. Being a good parent and raising good kids comes down to two things...having a strong faith in God and keeping the lines of communication open at all times. My girls KNOW they can talk to me about anything and everything...and they do! There is no substitute for simply being there.

Shell in your Pocket said...

What wonderful post...I read a couple things twice! I think her ideas about trips and going places together is such a neat idea and so important!

Thanks for sharing her with us, Red slipper!

sandy toe

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Oh, I am soaking up the wisdom!!! Wonderful post!

Mrs. NB

Sandra said...

I LOVE Jackie Kennedy for a multitude of reasons... but when I read this quote by her years ago, it spoke to me... and it resonates...

"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." -- Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis

AP Mommy said...

I love this lady - she's a riot and also has great insight! Great advice to read for a momma of a toddler boy :)

2 Little Irish Boys said...

These posts really inspire my and also reminding me to always be thinking and trying harder to be a better parent. It is such an important thing!

Angie said...

Great advice! Lovin' your cute new coffee bar area in your kitchen!

Michelle said...

Great advice! Thanks for sharing!