Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Come On In: Can These Kitchen Chairs Be Saved?

We paid BIG money a long while back for PB distressed chairs.
When I had a three year old sweet boy, a one year old little darling [in a high-chair] and didn't know we would be adding a third boy to the mix.

Let me save you some money if you are thinking a bout buying "distressed furniture".
If you have kids-they NATURALLY DISTRESS THE FURNITURE.
DON'T SPEND BIG BUCKS TO PAY THE STORE TO SELL IT TO YOU THAT WAY.
{Sorry, I don't mean to yell, but please listen to the wisdom of  'Been there/Done That'}
So the chairs.
Oh, are they a mess.
Take a look:


{See the scissor marks on the spoke of the chair? Not from PB, but from one of my sons who took scissors to the chairs ...Thank you very much-}

The seat on the chairs???
Don't know WHO or WHAT, but I know we didn't buy them this way..

Anyway-It is just time to save these chairs!

First~
So I got carded at WalMart for buying 10 cans brown of spray paint:
{No Sir! I am not sniffing this stuff-I am transforming with this stuff!}
***Then I sanded all five chairs***

Second~
I tarped the garage, and sprayed away.
One coat at a time, and in warm weather.
Lots of ventilation.

Third~
Because you know I didn't finish there, with paint~
I got out more (!!!) vinyl letters:
Wait. What step are we on?
I think the paint fumes are getting to me...
Oh. Right.
Fourth~
I cut out and placed each letter of our names on the backrest of each chair:



***I also sprayed a protective top-coat over each chair***

Finally~
Our Table and Chairs are complete!!!



Okay, NOW, you can come over for dinner!

post signature
(...Who waited six years to tackle this project, but is glad she finally did!)

20 comments:

April said...

Hey, my friend!
Sorry I've been so absent from blogging here lately...this is such a busy time for me right now! The school year is beginning to wind down and we're trying to sell our house. We've had two showings in the past 2 days. That's a good thing, but it causes me to fall behind on so many things I NEED to get done!

I absolutely LOVE what you've done to your table and chairs! I can't believe how different they look! I really love the wording you used! Just adds a special touch of 'flair'!

I hope that things will settle down for me sometime in the near future...my stress level can't take much more! :)

Carrie said...

I LOVE those! I'm just not brave enough to paint our furniture...but I just love how they turned out! I love the names on the back...so cute! Do you have a 'guest' chair :) GREAT job! Please bring your spray cans over here and help!!!

duchess said...

Beautiful! Love the labels.
Enjoy your Wednesday.

Leah said...

The table and chairs look great! You may have waited a long time to do it but the wait was well worth it.

trish said...

I am speechless!! That is way too cute and I am thinking about how much I would love to do something like that!
Sincerely ~ Tricia

Kelli said...

I'll be there and ready for some chicken salad.

sanjeet said...

I hope that things will settle down for me sometime in the near future...my stress level can't take much more! :)
indian classified site

Lindsay-ann said...

I'm on my way right over for dinner!
Your chairs look amazing and go perfectly with your table. A few moments ago I was speaking to my Mom and I told her about your table as she has an almost identical one (from IKEA). As I was speaking I told her to hang on while I brought up your blog and I started describing the chairs to her too as she doesn't have the internet. She was like WOW. You really should start up a business or something altering furniture and selling it. You really do have a talent for it.
Lindsay
x

Annikke said...

WOW! Those are awesome! I love it! Love the names on them too! How fun and they look classy too! great work!!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! You did a great job, and I love the names! Sue

Annette said...

I love the different color of the table and chairs. I love the names on the chairs! thanks for sharing!!

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

LOVE it! I love how you put the names on the chairs. Awesome.
I KNOW what you mean about distressed furniture. Even the things you don't want distressed become distressed--like me!

Alita said...

Ok... JEALOUS! How creative. How fun! How am I gonna convince my hubby that it is a cute idea, too.

Dawn said...

what time is dinner? i am there! this project is just amazing...

Sandra said...

FAN FREAKING TASTIC....

You are so chic!!!!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

That looks fantastic! I AM impressed! :)
Carrie

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this idea!!! It looks amazing!!! We need a round table in our kitchen and now I know what I can do if I find a beat up, used one!!!

Mrs. NB

RaD said...

Wow! They look great! Your inspiring me (ya know, to try this myself in a few years :)

bevy said...

Those look FANTASTIC! Love the monogrammed chair idea... so smart!

Southern Fried Gal said...

Too stinking cute, girl! I love it! So when's dinner?