Monday, April 12, 2010

I Unplugged~{Did You Miss Me Just a Little Bit?}


My boys had Easter Break last week-
and so, I unplugged and decided to go North.
 I just HAD to go.
{I told you in a post last week~Spring gets me missing our Summer Cottage!}
I couldn't wait another second-so we packed up the car and headed to the cottage to open it up for the season.
{This means turn on the heat, turn on the water, clean out the cobwebs, and clean up the bathrooms-You get the idea...}

I didn't take my {pink} laptop.
I didn't take a camera...and for once-I REALLY needed it!
Thank God I took a spare tire with me {-but more on that in a moment...}

I did take four books to read: 

{The Help: Couldn't. Put. It Down. So amazingly written~I LOVED this book.Still thinking about it~}
{Elsewhere: A very engaging read-very unique, fictional  idea of what happens after death~}
{The Memory Keeper's Daughter: Out forever...Why didn't I read it earlier??? Not sure-Very thought provoking~sad, but good. Liked it,but didn't love it... }

{Rainwater: I do not read Sandra Brown-she is too scary for me, but this was completely different than what she usually writes. I fell in love with this book-the characters, the setting [small town]  and time period [The Great Depression], and the ending had me in tears...What a surprisingly wonderful book!

[I think I need a book blog...just thinking outloud, here...]
I watched:

{-with the boys-and CRIED my eyes out right from the very begining-so touching!}

{Smirked through the entire thing-and did one gasp when I saw who George's girlfriend turned out to be! Oh the nerve of her!  I didn't like this movie one bit...Why was this Oscar material? Someone explain this to me~George Clooney was perfect for this...but how much was acting?!}

{When Tin Man headed up for a night-I made him watch this with me-I cried at the end-again-, while he patted my arm...}

With all the sad or cynical movies, I needed a happy, funny, sweet movie to end the week at the cottage.
So, I pulled out one of my favorites to watch again:

{It may not be for everyone, but I love this funny/ eclectic/ period movie!}

I also spent the week:
{Cleaning, but it is a small place so this didn't take but a minute!}

 Walking on the beach in the whipping wind, watching the waves crash on the shore.{Trying to keep the boys out of the waves in the forty degree (!!!)  temperatures, and Lucy on her leash!}

 Watching the boys ride their bikes up and down our street and smiling as they slammed on the brakes to see how long their skid marks would be on the dirt road. 

Raking leaves out of my flower beds.

Stopping by two Northern friends homes for an its-almost-summer-let's-catch-up-on-life chat, and play-date.

Oh yeah, and on the way up in torential downpours-I WISH I was able to snap {one} photo:
 I got a flat tire!!!
The Nicest  policeman changed my first-ever-on -the-way-up-to-the-cottage flat tire.

I had to go to get a new tire out in the middle of nowhere, and all of us [the boys, Lucy, and me] waited in a tiny waitng room for over an hour. The mechanic and the secretary both complimented me on the boys great behavior while we were there. But-I really shouldn't take any credit for it, I must confess.
Sport Center was on the television, and all three boys were hooked like the sports addicts they are.

I was afraid the flat tire was some kind of omen for the start of the week, but it still turned out to be a wonderful, relaxing open the cottage kind of week.

But it is always good to come home too~We had a soccer game to stress through {read previous post-}. And congrats to my son and his team-
They had a 9-0 shut-out!
{That was something to cheer for...and I did. Loudly!}
post signature
(...who loved being unplugged for a little bit...but YOU were missed!)
***Go on over and visit my blog on books...When you read as much as I do, you understand-I just had to do a Book Blog: Reading the Last Page First.  I will be doing a giveaway on there very soon.***

18 comments:

duchess said...

Of course you were missed. I don't know how you fit any cleaning time in with all of that good literature you've been reading & watching. Thanks for the referrals, I'll add some of those books to my list & I haven't watched Up or Time Travelers Wife yet - just haven't been in the mood for a tear-jerker.
Glad you had a relaxing time (besides the tire thing) and enjoy your week.

Brian and Becky said...

I SOOO want to read the Help!!!

Great to hear you had a good week. Perhaps you say El-Franko across the way - hopefully relaxing (tho, not likely).

We will be up (Dad and I) at the end of April for some spring clean up - Memorial Day will be here before we know it!

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Sounds like a wonderful and relaxing weekend!!!

I cried all through UP! as well. And, when it was over, I was still crying. It was such and sweet movie, but I was NOT prepared to cry my way through a cartoon!!

Mrs. NB

Kelli said...

Wow, you did a lot...read a lot, watched a lot. Sounds like a wonderful Spring Break. When do we go next (yes, I said we).

Unknown said...

YAY! I was just needing a new book! Now I am going to get that one : ) The first one.

Up makes me cry like a baby. I took Kaishon and Jonathon and Shoshi and I couldn't leave the theatre right away as I was crying so hard. I don't want to think about my parents dying. It breaks my heart.

So glad you had a wonderful time sans the laptop. When we go on vacation this year I am not going to take the laptop either. I want do unplug too!

Dawn said...

it sounds like a great week- even though it was a rocky start. so glad you found a nice policeman! but yes, you were missed...

and! did you see my blog? my daughter's OM team is going to the world finals at michigan state. is that close to you? how about the detroit zoo?

Julie said...

i was just about to say "YES" do a book blog... and you did... I am so happy. And another person just recommended the help too... I will have to check it out

Sandra said...

I was so feverish, I didn't notice anyone or anything...

I have a question for ya... what's the DIA?

So glad you are back!!! Oh I wish we lived closeby!!!

Lindsay-ann said...

Sounds like you had a great few days at your cottage. I missed you..
I am dying to read The Help as Lori recommended it too. I read Elsewhere and it was one of the strangest books I have ever read but I did enjoy it. Jessica has seen UP in 3D with her friends and loved it. The Time Travelers Wife I enjoyed but it gave me a headache trying to piece it all together in my mind afterwards. I love hearing about your life at your cottage. Look forward to more soon :)
Lindsay
x

Southern Fried Gal said...

You make me want to be a reader but alas I am not. Sounds like your time was enjoyable even with a few pesky distractions. I thank God that every time I have had a flat tire someone is there to help me change it... Have a great week, my friend!

RaD said...

Sounds like you had a wonderfully relaxing week! I'm very jealous of your summer home.

2 Little Irish Boys said...

Wow! you have had a lot going on, reading like crazy, watching movies! Glad you had someone nice to help you with your flat--I wish you had your camera, too!

2 Little Irish Boys said...

Oh, I am so excited about these books--getting a couple tomorrow!

Alita said...

Even with a flat tire; your time up north sounds relaxing.

I wasn't a huge fan of the memory keeper's daughter either. I'm glad I wasn't the only one. It was ok. I expected more from it.

I HAVE to read Rainwater now. It sounds just like my kinda book! Thanks for the review. Oh and I've been looking forward to watching UP.

I loved the Time Travelers wife (book and movie) and Miss Pettigrew lives for a day... ahh I cry every time. That is one touching movie.

I hope you get back into the swing of things at home soon. At least you know that your vacation home is clean and ready for you to enjoy. That is one stress off your shoulders.

April said...

Sure sounds like you all had a great time! Doesn't it do your soul good to just get away for a little while and simply be in the moment? I am about to finish up a very good book that I highly recommend..."The Gift of An Ordinary Day" by Katrina Kennison. Talk about a tear-jerker for any mom out there!

Ginger said...

Loved dropping by your blog today for the first time. It's always good to meet another reader! I'll have to check out your suggestions.
Nice to meet you!

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

You were missed but it sounds like you had a delightful time--except the flat. Isn't Sports Center the most amazing thing? Even my 6 year old David will sometimes ask me to turn it from SpongeBob to Sports Center. And I'm always full of exciting sports info when talking with men. They are so surprised that I am so knowledgeable....duh? 3 boys and a hubby, I watch a lot of Sports Center!

sanjeet said...

Sounds like a wonderful Spring Break.
free classified india