Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Come On In! ...Our (MESSY) Kitchen Pantry


Happy Fat Tuesday! Oh shoot! It is Wednesday, isn't it? Well-I am going to eat my paczki today! I am not Polish, but I should be because I always eat these caloric filled Fat Tuesday treats each year. This year, I am a little late, but still going to enjoy every bite with a cup of steaming Earl Gray this morning....while I read my PEOPLE magazine I finally got in the mail! (Neighbor Man/Boy's parents came home...)
Anyways~Come On In, and take a peek in our mess of a pantry.
(I can't believe I am showing you this!)

I've been showing you around my house for the last few months.


BUT~ There are two places I hesitate to show you. One is my husband's office. (Still hesitating to show that room...) We need to be VERY careful in there! Small children can go in, but may not find their way out due to the mess of papers, candy, more papers, computers, printers, even more papers and STUFF! (I am getting stressed out thinking about that room! But that is a whole other post, another day-)


The other horrible place is our kitchen pantry...Oh it's bad. REALLY bad.


Sandy Toes (http://www.shellinyourpocket.blogspot.com/) showed her beautiful pantry a few weeks ago and I almost cried because of my envy over it! WhY, oh WhY can't mine look that organized???? Her pantry had beautiful baskets, boxes lined up just so, and cute, little tags telling where everything should go. (I LOVED it!)


Ours? Messy. Disorganized. I would like to pin this one only on Tin Man. He is our resident chef, so this is technically his domain. We have a whole shelf dedicated to his spices, and exotic oils (and he really does use them!). But, I just throw things in there too so I can't lay all the blame on his shoulders. Everything else in our house is pretty much organized. Toys have their spot, beds are made, clothes are (mostly) put away and folded carefully... I like things nice, neat, and organized.


However-this pantry may be beyond help! I think I need an intervention. I took this picture after Tin Man brought the groceries in and I put them away! I know it is packed to the gills, but other than eating everything and not replacing it, can someone look at this and give me a plan? My plan is to shut the door quickly before things fall out on you, and always make sure to shut the door when company (or the dog!) is around.


So here it is, in all its disgusting glory...TA DA:

Help me! Where is my Fairy Godmother of Pantry Organization when I need her (or him...)?!

post signature (...Ouch! A can of green beans just fell on my head!)

Wow! That was Magical! I do feel like Cinderella! It was "magically" organized while I was out of town last weekend...

Here's the transformation:

(I also let Tin Man know I will be photographing his office soon so he might want to make a few changes...there!)

22 comments:

April said...

I'm seriously beginning to think you need your own radio comedy show or SOMETHING...you always seem to make me laugh!

Great job on your pantry! I don't really understand why it is, but it's so easy to let a panty get in a mess. You just open the door, toss back what you've used, then shut the door quickly! I "organized" ours a few weeks ago and I, literally, felt like a new woman...worked wonders!!!

Happy to hear that you FINALLY got your People magazine! Things are looking up! I'm guessing he moved his car.

Dawn said...

great job on your pantry!! really, i think it is always a work in progress :)
is your tin man a handy kind of guy? my mom (who is super handy!) built a great addition to her pantry!! she took her bi-fold door and decided it would now open like a regular door- and she built shelves on the inside of it- just wide enough for those pesky bottles of oil & cans! (the shelves are like long shallow bins that are attached to the door- which is why the doors no longer "fold.") anyway... extra space!!

enjoy your treats this morning!!

Shell in your Pocket said...

It doesn't look that bad...you just have a lot of food which is a good thing...two hours max and it will be all spiffy and clean!

Mine has been hard to keep up b/c everyone is in it like mice on cheese!
Pantrys are just hard to keep up!
Have a great Wednesday!
Fondly,
Sandy toe

larkswing said...

Brave woman! But I bet the office is not as bad as !

Anonymous said...

Now, that speaks "Happy Valentine's Day" to me more than flowers, chockies and a card. What a guy! I get so disheartened about my pantry, because no sooner have I cleaned it, then it looks like a riot again - seriously! I'm in a 'why bother' frame of mind about it at the mo. But, yours does look schmick, and I LOVED Mrs S.Toes!!! So, tomorrow just may be "P" day!!!

Julie said...

If it is an consolation, I don't have a pantry and WOULD kill for yours...clean or not. Pantries are such a blessing!

Kristin said...

Looks good to me. I think that you have a slightly skewed view of what disorginazation really is (let me not mention that you have WHITE carpet). I just might do a tour of my house just for you one of these days, to give you some perspective.

Leah said...

You before picture looks just like my pantry!
I was going to reorganize mine a few weeks ago but DH insisted he was going to put the shelves in that I have been begging for...I am still waiting.

missy said...

just stopped by from SITS.....love your blog and you have some cute little guys!!!!!!

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

The pantry looks great...Ours needs some serious help! It is deep so things get pushed to the back and forgotten about.

Ms. Tee said...

I didn't think it looked that bad in the first photo, either! :) But it looks great in the last one! My office is one place that needs help & where I shut the door!

HeatherPride said...

My pantry is a mess too! And my 4-year old is constantly going in there and then leaving the door open for all to see! Drives me nuts!

trish said...

Hi Ms. Ruby Red Slippers,
Your pantry looks great!! :o)
I want all the baskets too .. I keep my eyes open for square or rectangle baskets at local thrift stores and when I get the chance to travel to Ross or TJ Maxx. :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Aracely said...

I think I could maneuver my way around there, probably because mine is equally bad... I mean "well stocked."

Our Complete Family said...

Wow~ your pantry looks great after that surprise organizer got ahold of it! Good for you girl!
Now, can you come do mine?!?

Annikke said...

I love the makeover! Looks great. I am envious of anyone with a pantry at all. Our house, that we bought a year ago, had a newly redone kitchen and they GOT RID OF THE PANTRY. Who does that? I thought I could live without it, I HATE, hate, hate not having a pantry. I already have been making pleas to my husabnd to figure out how to get me a pantry in there.

OH, and my husband cleaned his office yesterday. First time in almost a year that I have seen his desk top. PLUS-- he had boxes he had never even unpacked!

Sandra said...

Girl... it wasn't even as bad as mine in the before picture!!!

Great Job Tin man though!

Does he give classes on how to make a wife happy?

Lindsay-ann said...

I am glad to hear you managed to get your People magazine at last!
I enjoyed seeing your before and after pantry. We do not have one so everything is in kitchen cupboards. Whenever I tidy them (not often) my husband says he can't find anything!!!
Lindsay

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Do mine! Do mine!

Mrs. Nurse Boy

amy & lisa said...

You are TOO funny! :)

Your "new" pantry looks really good. Way to go!

Girly Stuff said...

It looks really good now!

One thing I did was buy a few baskets and dump all of our snacks into them. And in another one I dumped packets (like lipton onion soup mix). And our pasta is in another (but still in their boxes/wrappers). I have very few boxes now in general. You could get an air tight container to put your pasta in. And I moved all the spices into a kitchen cabinet near the stove and tiered them. That alone freed up a ton of space.

Anonymous said...

Wow it looks great! Really fantastic! I don't have a pantry. That is a blessing : ) because mine would look horrendous. I do have cabinets and they definitely look like your before picture : ). I am glad I don't have to show anyone.