Saturday, February 7, 2009

Lucky Girl...

Valentine's Day is my kind of holiday. The romantic movies, the music-I just love it all. (Yes, I am a bit of a romantic. Sappy, but true.) Every year-I look forward to what is to come with Tin Man. He is NOT one to wear his heart on his sleeve, he is more like the character "Dr. House" on the show HOUSE.

Sarcastic, but funny. Practical, and analytical.-That is Tin Man in a nut shell. (...And throw in a little dash of Jim Carey-because he can be so crazy-fun!) I should clarify, though. He is not a doctor. He could either pass-out or throw-up if he sees bodily fluids like blood, vomit, diarrhea-the usual kid ailments totally gross him out...But I know his heart. It is sweet-and usually he saves it all for me. (...and my mom-he adores my mom!) He has always surprised me with something sentimental on Valentine's Day. In a house full of boys-it is usually all about them. Sports, video games, Legos, trucks -you know boy stuff. BUT-this is my day...

The first year we were married, my husband bought me an antique four place-settings of china we found in a little shop.

One year, it was a diamond and ruby ring . He didn't just hand it to me, but waited until we were on a plane to Florida, and asked me to get something out of my carry-on...and I found the box.

When our soon-to-be six year old was born, Valentine's Day was the day we came home from the hospital. I didn't need a gift that year-I brought home my own...

Some years, it has just been a letter from his heart. I (of course!) keep every one.


Last year, he put all the boys to bed early and we cooked together to make General Tao's Chicken and had a glass of wine together. And talked in peace and quiet...We ate on the china and did the dishes together.

This year we are doing something we haven't done in a while...We are celebrating for the week. (!) We aren't doing big things, just little things like cards, notes, favorite candy. We did this before, but it's been a few years. We started it off yesterday, so I made sure to get Tin Man a card. He trumped me! He got me flowers, a card, and licorice (Red Licorice is the way to my heart, by the way-) and before the boys were up, we had tea together in our favorite mugs.

I didn't get a chance to run to the store today for tomorrow's surprise, so this is what I made him:



I don't know. It's one of my favorite movies-Do you think he'll like it? (Hmmm...What would HOUSE say?)

post signature


(If you know HOUSE-then you know there could be some eye-rolling...I better get dressed and make a run to CVS for some Reece's Cups-his favorite...)

14 comments:

Dawn said...

oh! you may have just inspired me :) and i loved enchanted so much... i'm so happy to see someone else who loves valentine's day!

andria said...

I am jealous. My husband doesn't do Valentines and this year we can't afford it for the kids even.

Shell in your Pocket said...

You are blessed!
-sandy toe

Sandra said...

Oh my... how adorable are you two!!! Seriously... too cute!


I love House! He would eye roll and say something like..."What... no new car? No trip to Europe? Hardly seems worth it?" then walk away.

Far From Perfect said...

Some men get it-and some don't.

I'm a lucky one too. Cute pictures of you two.

Julie said...

that is awesome, enjoy your week!

Mother Hood said...

Very cool! Stay tuned for my post on how I ruined our first Valentine's Day while dating. It'll be on my "other blog". I'm surprised my husband even makes effort after that!

April said...

Sure sounds like you're living out quite a love story! You'd better hang on to that man of yours...flowers, notes, candy! Doesn't get much better than that in my book! It's amazing what little gestures of appreciation will do for a person!

Love the little photo cards you created! Very cute!♥

Lindsay-ann said...

I enjoyed hearing about how you have celebrated Valentines days over the years. A whole week of celebrations sounds fun and very romantic. I will get my usual, a card and a box of chocs on the day!
Lindsay

Kristin said...

I think that I just may do this next year. I love Valentines Day but we always just celebrate on the 14th.

Girly Stuff said...

I love this day too! I like the chocolates, the roses, the jewelry, and cards!

Maybe I will tell him it should be a week long tradition!

My best Valentines memory is BK (before kids) when we sipped champagne, ate all my chocolate covered cherries, while we listened to the Best of the 80's CDs he bought me.

This Valentines we will be camping with the kids. My how things change.

I will live vicariously through you this week!

Denyse said...

I came to thank you for stopping by my place on my special SITS day and your blog has blessed my socks off! So sweet!

michele said...

Your husband is so sweet! I love it!

Ms. Tee said...

Awww - your hubby is so sweet. :) Those photos are so cute!