Monday, February 9, 2009

Dinner is Ready! Easy-Peasy Salmon


I must clarify something: I don't eat fish. (I don't want them as a pet either!) They are slimy, cold, gross creatures...

BUT Tin Man cooks SO good that when he insisted I just take one bite of his salmon, I did. I held off until I was 33, though. It took him almost nine years of married life for me to cave. I still haven't tried his pan-fried trout. Everyone tells me I am missing out, but remember? I DON'T EAT FISH!!!

However~This is the recipe that made me say, "I don't eat fish-except the Salmon my husband cooks." What I like about this is how easy it is.

Quick! Go Get:

Salmon cut into 3 inch strips (Fresh or frozen, but defrost in fridge before cooking)

Maple Syrup (SEE? This is what I like!)

Soy Sauce (Lite soy is perfectly fine, too.)

1 teaspoon ginger (Optional, but soo good.)


Extras for the meal:

Rice (Boxed is what I get)

Salad (or my personal favorite-asparagus)

Marinate the salmon as it is refrigerated/defrosting and covered in a mixture (half of each) of soy/maple syrup /ginger. Marinate for (up to 24) hours before.



Then, you can either grill it, or cook it in the oven. Tin Man loves his iron skillets (yes, he has more than one!) almost as he loves me. So, he cooked the salmon on 500 degrees in the skillet in a few tablespoons of canola oil. At such a high heat, the salmon cooks very quickly-keep an eye on it. It needs to be flipped over once. (Each side is about 7 minutes...) Oh! One more tip to this easy meal...Have a dish towel handy to wave at the smoke detector...it will go off at least three times as you open the oven door...at least it does at our house!

Serve the Salmon (tell the kids its chicken...) and watch as we eat it all up!

Easy-Peasy!

(The leftovers are great for lunch tomorrow, too!)

post signature

(...Now don't be like me and take NINE years to try it!)

20 comments:

April said...

First of all...love your new header! You're becoming so talented at "scrapblogging"! You never cease to amaze me!

Now, I happen to like fish...fried catfish is my favorite. But, I've never been on to eat a filet of salmon...UNTIL my hubby came back with some from his fishing trip to Cananda. He cooked it on the grill with a recipe similar to Tin Man's. Man, oh, man was it ever good! I've been hooked ever since! Plus, it's very healthy for you, too! Isn't it great to have a hubby who can cook...though mine doesn't do it nearly enough!

Have a super day!♥

Shell in your Pocket said...

Well, I have two allergic to seafood but I will pass this along to my mom b/c they love seafood especially salmon!
-sandy toe
p.s. That salad looks yummy...love a great salad!

Leah said...

I think I will pass, no fish or seafood will pass between these lips.

HeatherPride said...

I have an outstanding BBQ salmon recipe, but it takes a ton of prep time to make! This looks delicious and EASY!! Thanks for the tip!

Sandra said...

Girl... you have be scrapping like crazy!!! I can't keep up! It is addictting though isn't it? You inspired me to make mini headers for my side bar too...

WE adore fish of every kind in my family, and this marinade is JUST what I have been looking for, for shrimp or salmon...

Thanks!

Annikke said...

My husband LOVES salmon.... maybe I could make this for Valentine's day for him????

The Nester said...

I love finding new salmon recipes!

And yes, please feel free to link and use any info from that post--as long as you link you don't even have to ask! Us bloggers love to be linked to! Thanks so much--email me when your post is up so I can stop by and say hi!

amy & lisa said...

Although I don't eat fish or meat of any kind...your recipe looks good and I am sure it tastes good too! Think I'll wait for your next recipe to try at home though.:)
Lisa

Anonymous said...

How come you were not up north at pearch USA weekend? It was the first time for us but the bay is still ice but it was beautiful in Tawas Debbies Mom my email is Sally@sallylouise.com

Lindsay-ann said...

I am glad to hear you enjoyed the salmon. It did look very tempting frying there in the pan. I must admit I only eat cod, good old english cod and chips! My husband likes kippers but my daughter and I think they smell horrible!
Lindsay

Edwina at The Picket Fence said...

That looks really good and the fact that the man of the house cooked it, makes it even better. I will give the recipe to my hubby and see what happens :)

Ms. Tee said...

Oh goodness - maple syrup makes everything better, doesn't it! lol That reminds me of the movie Elf - he loves maple syrup added to his food. ;) I'll have to try this!

Julie said...

This is my first visit..and I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!! What I love even more is that your a Christian!
I'm becoming a follower! Blessings..Julie

trish said...

That sounds delicious!! Wow! I bake our salmon and add a seafood seasoning sprinkle to it, but your husband's recipe sounds WAY better!!
I am going to say thank you ahead of time, from my family for preparing such a yummy dish! :o) I am going to copy your recipe down right now! Thank you so much for sharing!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Wow! I just found your blog. I don't think it could be any cuter! I am going to snoop around now, if you don't mind...

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Unknown said...

Salmon is my favorite! Everyone at our house loves slimy fish so we eat it a lot! This recipe is almost exactly like mine! Yummy for sure.

Our Complete Family said...

I had fun reading your last few posts to catch up on your blog hun! Yummy looking recipes, too!
Happy day wishes~ Les

andria said...

Oh, I hate fish. YOu're the only other person I know who does. I am so tired of everyone trying to get me to eat it.

TheChicGeek said...

I love Salmon. You have such a cute blog!
Have a Great Day!

Kristin said...

My fish is marinating now. I will let you know how it turned out tonight.

PS: Just wanted to reaffirm that you are stil in my prayers.