Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Come On In! An Itty-Bitty Transformation...


Don't get too excited when I say, "Come On In, It's A Transformation."

This is just an itty-bitty transformation. It is a "I had too much free time-and an idea popped in my head" transformation. I'm just preparing you-you will not be blown away with my decorating skills, but you might be encouraged that you, too can do this one...

Sometimes I get these ideas, and I have to do it quick (!) before life gets in the way, or I just plain forget. So here is a super-duper-quick-presto-chango:


I am getting things ready for a garage sale in the spring. (That IS if spring ever arrives here...) and while cleaning out my storage room and figuring out what needs to go, and what should stay I found an old canister set. I thought-Garage Sale, for sure! But then...I got to thinking and did this:


I used vinyl letters from my scrapbook supplies and made food canisters for our pets!



Then, I was so motivated with my quick change, I went a step farther with extra material from curtains I had made (with my glue gun-I hesitate to show the curtains to you-) and made a cover-up for our cat's litter box:


I used my glue gun to hem up the fabric, and used Velcro tape to stick on to our washroom sink, and the back side of the fabric. I thought to use Velcro tape so if I want to switch fabric-I can!


I know-amazing, transformations, huh?!

I am kidding!!
YOU, my friend, can do this too! If I can do it, I KNOW you can too!!

post signature

(A.K.A: Glue Gun Queen, and Velcro-Tape Princess)

27 comments:

April said...

Oh, I'm always impressed with your mad decorating skills! I really love what you've done with the canisters...I never would have thought to do something like that! Good job! :)

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

I love, love, love this idea. The lettering is great. We have a dog and a cat too. Your curtain for the litter is perfect. I wish I could have done something like yours, but her space is narrow,so I couldn't close her in. If you go to my blog and click on "home" under labels you'll see a 3 sided black frame with toile fabric...that's her box.
Thanks so much for the ideas,
~Karen~

Mrs. S. said...

Cute ideas!!

Shell in your Pocket said...

This is no little transformation..WOW!!!

I love what you did with the canisters and the curtain for the cat litter is such a great idea.

You should submit this to TipJunkie.com

sandy toe

trish said...

Very nice! :o) What a cute way to store your animal's food! :o) Oh I wish I could come to your garage sale!! :o) I would have snatched those canisters up in a heart beat.
I hope you have a great day!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Anonymous said...

Cute changes with the canisters. I didn't know you were so partial to a glue gun:) Good job. We made the French Onion soup last night. Everyone loved it. Tell Tin Man it was great. Have a great day!!! Lisa

~ Denise ~ said...

OH, I think that's a really cool idea. No glue gun for me...it's a sad and dangerous outcome. lol ;)

Anonymous said...

I am LOVIN your blog!
great little ideas...I think I'll try 'em!

Annikke said...

I have been wanting to do something a little fancier to keep the dog food in..... so I guess I will run over to thrift store and find a canister I can add some lettering to.... Wonderful idea!

Dawn said...

i am SO doing this when i get home TODAY!!! and i bet scout would enjoy a little bit of privacy!!!

Georgia Girl said...

Now this is a great idea! Now I really wonder what type of yard sale stuff u will be putting out...those canister look like new with or without the letters.

Thanks so much for the cute shamrock neckless...I wish you could see me fighting Lexi over this...don't won't to say who won but the little piggy has loved my shamrock. I decided to share after she said I keep getting presents in the mail and she doesn't get anything...it made me feel bad I had to share...So girl we are both lovin it.

Sandra said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THE canisters!

I don't sew... but I can glue anything!!!

Lovely transformations!

HeatherPride said...

I love the cat hideout. I wonder what the cat is thinking when it's back there?

Lindsay-ann said...

I loved your ideas. The canisters look great and your velcro curtain is very smart.
Lindsay

Georgia Girl said...

check my blog post today...you might get a laugh over what Lexi had to say.

Aracely said...

I used to be all HGTV crafty about things. I don't know what happened to me... oh yeah 3 BOYS! Not holding you back ;-)

Anonymous said...

I have loved catching up on your latest posts! Especially the boys'
bathroom... classic! And dear little Eli - I will be praying for him...

I love how your cat now has privacy;). Great job on the cannisters... do you have anything left to sell in your garage sale?!!!;)

Hope all is well with you and your boys.

Rosie said...

Love your Blog! great recipes! I see you are a Disney fan too! what a great idea to take Grandma and Gramps along for the ride! Oh! and of course I must get one of those Twilight/hole pics of my own! My teenage niece will be oh so jealous!

Thanks for your post and keep clicking your oh so sparkly ruby red shoes!

Our Complete Family said...

Oooh la la chicadee! Love both of your transformations! You should be patting yourself on the back right now~ they're AWESOME and I love them! That fabric is very similiar to stuff I have in our house. I'm partial to those colors!
Happy day wishes Miss Ruby Red :)
Les

pampered said...

I enjoyed catching up with you...i've been too sick to read blogs (agahst!!) and fell behind on my stalking you. I will be praying for poor little Eli and his parents. And being a mom of three boys myself who just so happened to have the same toilet issues, I'd like to share what fixed our issue...a new toilet. Yup really cute one too. Turns out the old one no longer had the needed water output from the top rim water holes. Nothing unplugged these little holes from years of calcium build up (new house for us, used for the people who sold it). So we went and got a new one from home depot...hope this solves your problem too. Sorry for the long comment, i'm sure you probably have to run and flush now

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Great ideas! I love vinyl letters! Those are the most elegant pet food jars ever!

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Mel said...

That is truly a stroke of pure unadulterated genius....I am going to scratch for canisters (I know I have some) and get creative!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

I think that is a big transformation! How cute. And what a great idea to use your old canisters and your scrapbook lettering. I love it! And that fabric is so cute - now your kitty has it's own little private spot!

XOXOXO
Jen

Quiche Me, I'm Yours! said...

Glue Gun - a girls best winter friend and a can of spray paint - a girls best summer friend!!!

Ms. Tee said...

How great! I love them both - especially the kitty cover-up! Hope you have a good weekend! :)

Girly Stuff said...

I want one that says "mom's treats" and I will fill it with chocolate!

Southern Fried Gal said...

Great ideas! Oh and I meant to tell you I like the new profile pic, too.