Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Weeping May Last The Night, But JOY Comes In The Morning...


I really haven't gone that far in life. ...and I like it that way.
I haven't gone far in life by choice. I know many of the same people I knew as a child. I taught school at the very school I once attended, and currently-my kids attend the very same school today.
In my first year of teaching, I was hired (at my childhood school) as a middle school history teacher. I loved the subject matter, but if I am honest-I was terrible at that grade level.
The second grade teacher (who was across the hall from me) was so kind and understanding of my lacking skills. She spent time mentoring me. I appreciated her approach to classroom management, and I vowed to be more like her. She was firm, yet loving. She was organized, and her room always was a welcoming place. There were several times I was in tears over a student situation, or sometimes a parent interaction that did not go as planned. She always had a minute to encourage me, or pray with me. Not only was she a church friend of my parents -(She watched me draw pictures during the sermon when I was six!) but I was even teaching her two middle school sons (!). Surprisingly-she treated me as an equal, and in my eyes-I hadn't earned it yet.
When I eventually became one of the first grade teachers, and she was still teaching second grade-she saw me flourish and mature as I was in a place that was (finally!) comfortable for me as a teacher.
Then her husband contracted a terrible form of cancer and she took a few years off to be with him. It was a miracle her husband survived. But he did, and you could see such a close bond between the two of them. They had made it through to a place after sickness and near death-and you could see how grateful to God they were.
She eventually came back to the school as an assistant teacher. First in the special education department where her amazing organizational skills were much needed, but also with the students in small group instruction. Then she became an assistant to the teachers in the first and second grades.


By this time-I was in "Mom mode" as a parent now at the school, rather than as a teacher. My oldest son was in first grade and met with her for math instruction. We would pass each other in the halls of the school as life had changed so much for us both-and smile. She pulled me aside several times to tell me how much she enjoyed my oldest son, and she found "me" in him many ways...

My second son would attend the day care a few afternoons a month after preschool and this special teacher made her way in there when they were short staffed. So not only was she with my older son, but with my second son as well. When I would pick up my kids, many times they commented on what a nice lady she was and how she was "The Best!". Dancing Boy summed it up once by saying, "You know why I like her? She is nice, mama-just like my Nana. She listens to me and gives me hugs if I cry and she prays over me." It triggered the memories of teaching with her, and how she listened to my frustrations quite a few years back when I was a new teacher. I remember I said to my son-"I know-she has always been like that for me too."


Last June, I found out my teaching friend had breast cancer.


Going into the school year this past September-we knew she was fighting a serious battle, and the outlook didn't look good. I tried to shelter my boys from this knowledge, but my older son heard guests at our house talking about it...He looked at me-and I've mentioned his "looks" before. So we had the "cancer" talk. I explained that we didn't know the outcome-but we would be praying for this special lady. (...and he prayed for her faithfully, as did my second son...)


When my boys went outside last night to play soccer with Tin Man, I got the e-mail that my family friend, my mentor, my kid's teacher had passed away. I was glad to know she was pain-free, and I know she is in Heaven-but at the same time, so sad for her family. A few minutes later, as Nature Boy ran in for some water, he found me in tears and asked why. I debated with myself. Do I tell him? How much do I say? So I just told him I was sad for this lady's family because she had died today. He was sad for a moment with me, and then said in a very mature voice, "Mom, I want to go to the funeral with you and dad-she was a very nice lady to me."
After discussing this with Tin Man, we have decided to honor his wish in honoring our friend's life.


This will be the first funeral he has attended. I am not sure how to prepare him for this-and I am wondering if any of you have been through this with your kids.

What do you say? What do you do to prepare kids for this part of life?

post signature

My parents (her lifelong friends) were over for dinner last night as we got the news. My dad said, "You know she was welcomed with open arms in Heaven..." and that is so true-she touched so many lives-mine on several levels, and in many ways...

That is one reason why I am happy I haven't gone that far in life.

"Weeping may remain for a night,

but joy comes in the morning."

~Psalm 30:5

25 comments:

Mrs. S. said...

I am so sorry to hear about the loss, but to know that she is in a place with no pain must be comforting. The compassion that your son has just melts my heart. He is a very brave little boy to want to do something so grown-up.
You might do a search for picture books for kids that help them deal with death. There are a lot out there that you can find...probably even at your library. Sometimes those books have all the words that we need to help children work through problems.
Is there any way that you could just go to the family night with him instead of the whole funeral? Maybe that wouldn't be so daunting? I'm not sure.
God bless.

April said...

I am so sorry for your loss, my friend! As you are aware, I have been through this situation on a very personal level many times...my mom, brother, and dad all passed away in 6 short years. My girls went to each of their funerals...Abby was only 4 1/2 when Mom passed away.

They both did fine, though their hearts were broken. I feel it's so important to allow children the opportunity to grieve when someone they love passes away. It's all part of life...we are born and we die. However, I always made it a point to let my girls know that even though their grandparents and uncle had died, they went on to live eternally in Heaven and that, one day, we would see them, again.

I never tried to hide my own grief from my girls. I wanted them to see that losing someone can hurt A LOT! At the same time, for those of us who have faith in God, He heals our broken hearts and, by His loving grace, we are able to move forward with our lives.

Allowing your son to attend the funeral of your friend will be a powerful life lesson for him. Just be there for him, hold him close, and reassure him that it's OK to cry and feel hurt, but that God will see him through. Thinking of and praying for you!

Dawn said...

i am so sad for your family... to lose such a precious person, who touched so many places in your life. my prayer for you is that you can find comfort in Jesus, and in your memories.

i think that you should certainly bring your son to the funeral if he wants to go. My son has been to two funerals in his little life. at the first, he was about three- and he provided a little comic relief for some... seeing his cute little face made people smile in thier grief... something maybe they hadn't expected to be able todo. And the second funeral he went to was just two years ago... when my friend, his friend's Mom passed away. He wanted to go... and at ten, you have to respect their wishes. He chose to walk up to the casket and say goodbye, something I didn't want to do, but did for him. He stood tall next to his friend and offered comfort in the way ten year old boys do. Children bring a little simplicity to the day... they simply know that now this person is in heaven with Jesus. Whatever you choose, I am praying for peace in your heart.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how you must be feeling. We haven't encountered a funeral where our children where of an age to attend (the only funerals our son was one). I think it's good that he's asked. I would tell him there will be sad people who may cry but it's their way of showing how much they loved her.
I'd be sure to just check as far as if it wil be an open casket if there is a viewing or anything.

Praying for you.

Shell in your Pocket said...

Sorry to hear about your loss...
My two oldest have been to funerals and we are honest and tell them all we can to prepare them.

You will be amazed what they already know and how their little minds handle it.

Take care...my prayers are with you and everyone who feels this "loss".
sandy toe

Laura said...

I have tears in my eyes! What a beautiful post to honor your friend!

Leah said...

I am so sorry for your loss.
My oldest was 3 when he attended my grandfathers funeral. He did exceptionally well. Just try to explain before hand what they might expect and really answer any questions honestly that he might ask...before, during and after.

Julie said...

What a beautiful and touching story. (tears flowing from eyes)! Whenever I loose a person that is dear to my heart...I always imagine the PARADISE that they are in. It overwhelms me just thinking about it.
I will be praying for you.....Julie

Megan said...

I am so sorry for your loss. It is never easy to loose someone. But you were right in knowing that she is pain-free.

I don't think we can prepare our children, because in truth, even as adults we struggle with death. When we lost the older man I sat with, Luke was crushed. That was his buddy and he didn't understand. But bless his heart, he came to me one day not long after and told me that it was going to be ok, b/c he would see him again one day. Such wisdom so young.

I will keep you guys in my prayers today!

Kelli said...

Come on over, I left you an award at my place.

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

What a beautiful post!

I am certain she was a beautiful person, inside and out. She sounds amazing.

My sons have both had to deal with death and they are so much more amazing then I am. They focus on that person now being with Jesus. I mean, who doesn't want to be with Jesus?! They really see it as a celebration. I just love that! So, having your son there will probably bless you more than you know.

I will be praying for you and your family. The lost is felt here on earth, but the angels are rejoicing up above.

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Sandra said...

I am so very sorry for your loss, my dear friend...
There are never enough or the right words in times like these...

Yes... my sons have attended funerals... and Italian funerals... are, unfortunately, circuses. Over the top, screaming, arm flailing, theatrical performances...

I'm sure it won't be like that at your friends funeral, and I'm sure he will be fine. I, personally, never go up to the casket to 'view' the deceased person, and I didn't allow my boys to either. I prefer to remember the person alive... but it is a personal preference... and when my boys are older I will allow them to make that decision for themselves. While they are young... I make that decision for them.

You son will be great. It is also a good manners and etiquette lesson he will witness...
he will see reverance and kindness, and sadness and smiles in remembering her.

Go bravely my friend... she is so happy now... looking down on you and tugging at Jesus' shirt sleeve and pointing down and beaming with pride.

julie & joe said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.

There is a brochure most funeral homes have done by Mr. Roger's that is excellent. There are also many children's books. I like "I'll Always Love You" about a boy and his dog. There is "Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs". I'll find the list we use for work and see what else is on it.

HeatherPride said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend! Last summer one of my best friends died from breast cancer. It brought a great sense of relief to know that she was a believer. I look forward to seeing her again someday. This might be hard for your son, but what a good opportunity to talk about life after death and heaven.

Annikke said...

I am so sorry to hear this. I cried as I read this blog, I can tell she meant a lot to you!

My husband is a funeral director. Our children have been to 2 funerals for close family members. I think if it is going to be an open casket - kids think the person is merely asleep so he will need to prepped (if you can do it before you get there it is easier). Either way, kids understand a lot more than we give them credit for and sometimes we want to shelter our kids from death, but since he is going with you to the funeral I think you should just be honest about it and explain to him that she is with Jesus in heaven. I know you well enough to know you are good with words and will do really well explaining it to him. Pray that God gives you the words to say and go for it - God will guide! I will be praying for you and for your dear friend's family too.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. My dad passed away 4 years ago. My kids were 11, 9, 6 and 4 months. My older children were close to him and were heartbroken, he was their hero. The funeral was a good thing for them so they could say goodbye. We talked about it beforehand and each of my kids wrote a letter to their grandpa expressing how much they loved him. It was a good way to say goodbye and remember the good times they spent with him.

(((hugs)))
Jen

Lindsay-ann said...

I am so sorry to hear the sad news about your friend. She truly sounds to be the most wonderful person to have had in your life. My daughter was 11 when she attended my Dad's funeral. She was very upset but was glad she attended to pay her respects and say goodbye. I think it is very mature of your son to want to attend. She really must have been very special to him too.
My prayers are with you and your family at this difficult time.
Sending you a hug today.
Lindsay

Tiffany said...

Well, let me finish wiping my eyes so I can see to type! I am so sorry for your loss, and I can feel the immense impact this wonderful woman had on your life - as well as many others and obviously other generations as well. What an awesome tribute and a wonderful way to be remembered.

As for the funeral, we just went through this in the fall when my dad passed away. I didn't know what to do either - obviously my kids were going to the funeral. and, obviously, they were going to see him in the casket. So, I did prepare them for that part. They are 14 & 8 and my daughter, the oldest, had been to a couple of funerals before.

Anyway, I just explained to them that he would be there in the casket and it would look like he was sleeping. I also explained that he might not look like himself (because I wasn't sure what kind of job they had done on him while fixing him up, if you know what I mean). After that, we just played it by ear. My son, the 8 year old, had tons of questions while we were at the funeral home and we stood at the casket for a long time and just talked. And I tried to just answer all the questions as honestly as I could. I didn't hold back because I didn't want him to be scared of death. In the end it worked out just fine. Good luck - and just play it by ear. God will give you the words to speak - just ask.

Janelle said...

I'll be praying for you all and the taecher's family too. Loss is so hard. The verse you quoted is just beautiful!

2 Little Irish Boys said...

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I really loved reading this post about your relationship-so sweet and very special!
Also, thanks for stopping by my blog-I am back and excited about making blogger friends!! I have so much fun reading your posts-makes me feel like I know you and that we would have fun if you lived in TN---or I guess if I lived there but we don't get as much snow as you:)

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I am so sorry to hear the sad news. I have experienced something very similar.

So glad that I found your blog. Will be back often.


Stop by my blog for a visit. Though I am relativity new to blogging, I am loving all my new friends.

I am giving away my first EVER BLOG PRIZE.
I have a gift basket business and it is the most requested gift over the last 15 years.

From the comments I have already received, appears to be something a little different and something anyone could use. I have been so touched by the comments that I
have decided to give 2 boxes . They will be the $100 deluxe size.

I want my blog to encourage others. I have decided that giving is life at its BEST. The drawing will be Saturday!

Kristin said...

I cried when I read this. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Loss and grief are difficult processes to go through at any age.

This may sound strange, but it's good that your kids are being exposed to loss and grief.

Jen said...

I got chills when I read this!! What a precious picture you painted of this amazing women! She is rejoicing with Jesus tonight! Amen!!

I will be praying for her family as I know the she will be missed! I will also pray for your family as you honor her life at her celebration memorial!

Girly Stuff said...

I'm sorry for your family's loss...and the community's...seems like she was quite a light around there.

I am guilty of wanting to shield my boys from grief and hard times. But what a better time to learn these things...when you are around to help and guide them through it.

I know God will give you the right words and responses for your kiddos.

Em said...

I know in my heart that you and Tin Man can prepair his tiny little soul for the experience. My grandparents took me to funerals and even funeral homes w/ open caskets at a very young age and it didn't scare me or make me sad... they explained that the people were with God and it took a lot of the fear about death away!